}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} Jig Swap #23 {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{

Kdog

This sounds like its gonna be an interesting swap. Hopefully a few more sign up. Walleye although a predator are IMO lazy and eat anything that moves and is close to their mouth. Thus, presentation is everything. In my experience, most are caught in 15 - 25 FOW. They eat nightcrawlers, crawdads, and Shad along with any fish they can swallow. Only thing I haven't seen in their gut is catfish.

QPassage

You know I'm really looking forward to this one.
I'm even working on a special custom jig design for this just fer ya'll! ;) Only clue I'm giving is, the idea comes from across the big pond ;) You might offer a one time I'm begging you to let me in the swap on a 15 min rule or sumten to those that, lets just say, might be a little intimidated with tying a big jig! ;) Then again they can look at the pics later and drool and wish they had gotten in on this one.
It's not for me to say just a thought.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Not too bad of a turnout for this being a species specific swap...... for something other than panfish. ;) These are gonna be fun fun to tie and interested to see what the popular colors turn out to be! Have a set-back in my painting ability, but will hopefully be able to get some heads painted next week.

Caught a couple 6" walleye last week while fishing for yellow perch. Was throwing plain jigs with crawler chunks and they were all mixed in together. Was surprised to see them together in the same school. Only had short time on the water and was getting steady action from the perch......... wondered about throwing bigger gaudy jigs if it might have found some bigger predators cruising the outside of the perch pack.

QPassage

AtticaFish said:
Not too bad of a turnout for this being a species specific swap...... for something other than panfish. ;) These are gonna be fun fun to tie and interested to see what the popular colors turn out to be! Have a set-back in my painting ability, but will hopefully be able to get some heads painted next week.

Caught a couple 6" walleye last week while fishing for yellow perch. Was throwing plain jigs with crawler chunks and they were all mixed in together. Was surprised to see them together in the same school. Only had short time on the water and was getting steady action from the perch......... wondered about throwing bigger gaudy jigs if it might have found some bigger predators cruising the outside of the perch pack.

We used to years ago in Ontario use a 1/16 oz Blackmore Pony on a 16 inch leader weighted with 1/8 oz put a gulp black leech on the hook. We would cast it over the reef then let it fall at the edge. We always got dinner this way.

Jay Wirth

Just a quick update. I saw what I think was a mis-post on the #22 thread that plateboater may be out. Im not totally sure; Either way continue with tying 9 total. Ill adjust as we get near the deadline and will return the extra to each if needed.

Im looking forward to what everyone is tying - I have a couple suprises for everyone.......

Kdog

Packaged and n the hands of the mailman.
Kdog
Jig Swap #23
“Toothy Critters”
3/8 ounce walleye head
3/0 EC 575
Mirror Black
Like Brass Belly
Black Craft Fur
Synthetic Gold Hair
Gold Eye
Epoxy Overcoat

View attachment 7 View attachment 8

Jay, I sent 10 jigs. Please do not send extras back. Also included a few raw jigs and some powder in appreciation of your hosting this swap.

Attachments

• swap-23 kdog.jpg
    swap-23 kdog.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 66
  • swap-23 green background.jpg
    swap-23 green background.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 63

Jay Wirth

Im away from home till the 18th; Im spending some time in the Great Smokey Mountains, NC. FYI moonshine is yummy! Ill have a few days also in the state of TN and plan on slinging some flies on the tail waters of the Hiwassee River. (don't worry other family members are home to get any mail packages that arrive).

Kdog

QPassage said:
Needs tweaking a little but it is starting to coming along.
temporary-718.jpg
1/2 oz about 4 inches long.
I had hopes of tying theses
http://poland-fishing.blogspot.com/p/kogut-lure-how-to-make.html
Just running out of time to get the heads poured, esp since I don't pour.
My tie is a little different, but, rest assured the pike will love it, those guy's will hit anything. I saw one eat a small duck once.

Looks Good! That treble trailer is interesting. Looking at the poland jig, that could be an interesting tie.

QPassage

After tying a few of these I've made a couple changes, for the better I believe.
I have a buddy heading to the Boundary Waters in a couple weeks I'm going to send a couple with him to see if the pike like them.
temporary-330.jpg

Jay Wirth

I found Kdogs package waiting for me after returning from a visit with some in-laws in SE Tennessee. Great looking jigs that would be perfect for NY walleye. Thanks for the extras.

Kdog

Jay Wirth said:
I found Kdogs package waiting for me after returning from a visit with some in-laws in SE Tennessee. Great looking jigs that would be perfect for NY walleye. Thanks for the extras.

I Guess the Buffalo influence (where I learned to fish for Walleye) is still strong. Actually I was thinking about threadfin shad when I started the tie.
But Glad you liked em.

Jay Wirth

We have a week to go for the deadline for Jig Swap 23. Im excited to see what everyone comes up with. Ill get pictures of all up right before mailing out the packages.

Jay Wirth

Found a package from Qpassage in the mail today. Everyone will be happy with such a nice jig. The style reminds me of some old school patterns I have in dads old tackle box he tied for pike. Bo Thanks for the extras!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Got mine all painted and a sample made last week. My darn procrastinating is gonna get the best of me. :blush: Took a long weekend camping trip and just got back today. Lots of kayaking and the kids also had me rent some crazy adult tricycle thing.... :beat-up: Gonna rest up from all my rest and relaxation tonight, then hopefully get them finished tomorrow!

Back