}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} Jig Swap #23 {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{

Jay Wirth

Its time for us to start the Jig Swap #23. We will take as many who wants to participate (lets try for 20).

What I would like to do is a swap of those styles and patterns that are used for those big toothy monsters of the deep - walleye, pike, sauger, musky.

Sizes 1/4 and up, any material.

Jig Deadline: Saturday August 2nd

1 Kdog - Received
2 QPassage - Received
3 AtticaFish - Received
4 Plateboater
5 Bucko
6 StumpHunter - Received
7 chill49 - Received
8 Redman - Received

QPassage

Count me in on this one. I'm to far south to do much pike fishing and have never used a jig for one the times I've fish for them in the BWCA and Quetico. That said, I do know what they like to eat, anything, I've hooked them on gummy worms before.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I will get in on this swap! :bigfish: :jig: Hopefully swap #22 does get finished up soon, sure should be by early in July when the sign-up closes. Will make sure to get some 1/4+ sizes so i follow the rules. Be warned though, mine won't have the higher quality hooks............ 15-20 jigs in 1/4oz with premium hooks could get costly. :p

SlabHappy

Sorry, I am out for this one. None of those fish in my nic of the woods. If fact, I have never caught any of them.

Radtexan

SlabHappy said:
Sorry, I am out for this one. None of those fish in my nic of the woods. If fact, I have never caught any of them.

Looks like I'm in the same boat.except I have caught walleys ! :)

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Now, now............. i see quite a few of you Southern fisherman posting about huge crappie catches using giant jigs. Just might find something in a bigger size your fish like. You just need bigger.................. :jig:'s :D Toothy critters do like bright colors at times. I have managed a few walleye and pike in my years, but never any sauger, saugeye, or musky. Hmmmm, what to tie?

SlabHappy said:
.........Sorry, I am out for this one......

Radtexan said:
...............Looks like I'm in the same boat...................

Kdog

AtticaFish said:
Now, now............. i see quite a few of you Southern fisherman posting about huge crappie catches using giant jigs. Just might find something in a bigger size your fish like. You just need bigger.................. :jig:'s :D Toothy critters do like bright colors at times. I have managed a few walleye and pike in my years, but never any sauger, saugeye, or musky. Hmmmm, what to tie?

SlabHappy said:
.........Sorry, I am out for this one......

Radtexan said:
...............Looks like I'm in the same boat...................

Crawdad type of jig, I use an olive head, pale orange belly, black eyes with olive feathers and some orange, canary or salmon for the belly side olive chenille body or thread body.

Also,I have tried a number of jigs to imitate a night crawler tipped jig, Any large minnow type jig works and at times small minnows work just as well.

We catch a lot of crappie fishing for walleye usually deeper than normal for crappie, but then again the crappie are usually bigger than normal.

My go to tied jig for walleye is a silver head with black, yellow and white buck tail followed closely by an all black jig with some gold flash and gold eyes.

I cast a lot of walleye jigs up to 5/8 ounce that get coated in the following colors, They get tipped with 4" - 5" grubs or twister tails
Black. White, Like Chrome, two toned chrome belly blue back, Red, watermelon and pumpkin

QPassage

I sent 6 of these to Ontario a couple weeks ago for one of my buddies. He came home with none. Said the pike just tore them up. Said he had one on that went close to 28 inches. He's a bass fisherman so he wasnt using a steel leader.
temporary-618.jpg

StumpHunter

I'll get in this one although I don't tie many jig this big but I think this will be a interesting swap to see these big jigs.:icon14:

SlabHappy

Barefoot said:
I like those wobbles! Are the antenna burnt mono?

That is what I use to make eyes on them. Bought a spool of 30# red mono to burn to make eyes for crawdads. I used rubber skirt for the antennas. Need to tie a few more. Tied the first one for a swap, and haven't tied one since.

DSC03903_zps72caed1d.jpg

Kdog

I got my 30 tied or did until I tried a few today. Actually caught fish. Really wish I had made them smaller for my fishing hole though. The 3/8 ounce jigs really like the rocky bottom and find it a lot faster than I can fish.

Depending on how many tyers we get and how big a jig they are sending, you may want to add size jig you are sending so we can do a better guesstimate of postage.

EG: 15pcs, 3/8 ounce jigs - 5.62 ounces so figure 7 ounces just to be safe postage would be 3.04 or 7 stamps

I did 3/8 ounce but was really considering some of the 5/8 or 3/4 ounce jigs I made for river fishing this fall and winter. Luckily I stumbled across a box of the 3/8 already cast and ready to finish.

Kdog

QPassage said:
I sent 6 of these to Ontario a couple weeks ago for one of my buddies. He came home with none. Said the pike just tore them up. Said he had one on that went close to 28 inches. He's a bass fisherman so he wasnt using a steel leader.
temporary-618.jpg

Those sure are pretty! Nice job. Kinda makes me wonder how the purple and gold looks underwater. I have a similar pattern with a pumpkin head dark lime body and Olive tails that has had some outstanding days.

Jay Wirth

We have a week to go for the deadline for Jigs Swap 23 signups. Sizes ¼ - 5/8 any head style. Target fish - walleye, pike, sauger, and all those big toothy critters that are so exciting to catch. We have plenty of room for more tiers and this will be a swap that is bound to have a lot of variety in materials and techniques.

I am planning a 5/8 Barumba Jig with stinger hook and tinsel. This jig has been a favorite produced by my family here in NY and found on Oneida Lake for close to 50 years.

chill49

Never caught a toothy critter before don't know what they would eat. I think I might come up with something if you don't mind me giving it a shot I'm in haven't missed a swap in a long time no reason to let this one stop me.

By the way is a pike a long pointed stick ??

Jay Wirth

When I was a kid all the old timers referred to any of the fresh water fish with teeth as Pike. This included walleye, northern pike, muskies, pickerel, tiger muskies

QPassage

chill49 said:
Never caught a toothy critter before don't know what they would eat. I think I might come up with something if you don't mind me giving it a shot I'm in haven't missed a swap in a long time no reason to let this one stop me.

By the way is a pike a long pointed stick ??

They will eat anything that resembles a fish or there of a part of a fish. I have a buddy that tells a great story about a 4 pound smallie he was holding at the edge of a canoe. When boom, all he was left with was a head and guts.

Back