mold questions for redman

redear

sure am enjoying the redman heads that are comming from the last mold I made, barrowed dad's gunpowder scale and it comes in a hair under 3/32 oz. my last pinkie jig mold came in a smidgen under true 1/16 oz. from what I have weighed so far, it looks like the collarless heads are a little on the light side, I know my 1/32 roundhead from a do-it mold is. and the larger pinkie head I got the mold for from that crappie fisherman, which was custom made came in at 3/32, I was sure it was 1/8 before weighing. I don't think any of this means a hill of beans except I was just really curious for a long time. am sure the purity of the lead means alot too.

redear

Doug, it's been pretty cold out in the shop lately. I have recently bought a palmer handheld pot for cleaning up some lead in small volume and maybe making little ingots. last couple times I poured with the lee pot, it became apparent that I needed to clean some lead, and being as my hands are pretty weak and my balance is terrible, I am scared of trying to use a larger pot and having an accident by dropping it etc.I have used up all of happys ingots and I think I can maybe make some of my own with this thing. it's gonna be time to fish here shortly, warm weaqther can't be too far down the road.

Fatman

Hey buddy!! My old bottom pours that died on me I used to clean lead with - tire weights, old lead pipe... As long as I cleaned them after every use they were fine. Their demise was due to the box not coming in the house when we moved in but also because the bin had a two part split top, and took in alot of water, but they don't get stored outside no more!!!!

I'm only using one of the new ones, the other is still in it's box. I still clean after every use so I may just start using it again for cleaning lead. Most of my lead stored in water tight box's (1 pure and 1 tire weight) was cast as sinkers so it's already partially cleaned (these were made before my DA learned about fluxing!!!) so it shouldn't be too difficult to clean a bunch and pour at the same time. I really need to pour some more Redman heads!!!!!! I'm down to 3 unpainted ones!!! and I've got new colors of powder, and all the new black nickle sickles. I'm gonna try on Saturday, just won't use a full pot until I know if my back will hold out for at least 2 hours. I can pour a bunch of em in that time and others while the mold cools off.

redear

I did buy a plastic can of that powdered flux the other day, so will be using that stuff. frankford arsenal puts it out, mine is in the same container but has another company name on it, might be lee or redding havta look, I thinks it's probably the same stuff, bought it in a sporting goods store in the bullet molding section. there is definitly something else in my lead because if I pour a little from a ladle out on a steel table, the pure stuff on the bottom separates and runs out from underneath and is pretty stuff, and the lighter dross stuff on top looks like lead but doesn't act like lead and isn't near as heavy. I'm learning though. I noticed that a guy can actually pour from a ladle with drossy stuff and the pure lead will run out the ladle while the dross will remain if you do it right, but this drossy lead will plumb mess up a bottom pour. I am hoping to save the other stuff I set aside too a while back due to this problem. that palmer hot pot is well made and heavy in the hand, I like the looks of it, it came in the other day from barlows, along with two pints of vinyl solvent, and some vinyl paint colors like bright green and flame red, and clear vinyl. waiting on another pack of vmc hooks from cap'n hooks now.

Fatman

I used a hot pot for a long time - they work good. The only thing I did and still do is have an aluminum bread pan and flip it over the top just in case anything pops!!!

Fatman

Hey redear - the redman got a real workout on Friday!!! 150 total
100_5123.jpg

Fatman

Took the day off for my birthday and the wife was at work so I fired up the pot, only had 3 unpainted ones left!!!

Just sent messages to Capt Hooks and Matzuo on the breaking at the 90 degree bend and that they aren't tempered right!! We'll see what they say. Glad to see you got out!!!!!!

redear

been tying up black and yellow chart. kiptails with a red thread neck on the flattened redman 1/24 head that looks like a corn kernel, been catching fish on this jig tipped with a crappie nibble, white or pink. been leaving the head plain and being kinda flat sided it gives off flash, if it has turned dark I take a knife and scrape the sides of the jighead to freshen up the flash, also tying up this color combo on 1/32 roundheads in a size 8 sickle for the gills and such. today would have been great weather for fishing, but I had to go to work.

redman

You guys slay me. Man if I would have known that I would have press a 100 molds way back when. Yes I sat out in the shop this afternoon myself and poured 50 heads and painted 24 in sapphire blue. Black and green chartruse has been the go to color here the last week. I have been taking 3 to 4 large mouth Bass in the 5 to 7 pound range every day. Haven't been keeping any but they are a ball to catch on a 6 wt. fly rod and a ultra light reel. Yes I loose two or three a day and yes they come on that little redman head on a #6 hook. All the Big Bass fisherman are now throwing 10 inch worms and 8 inch flukes. Me I am fishing crappie. Still no mamas but a lot of nice males. Deep rich Black color.

Soon they will switch to the brown Root Beer color and you will not be able to keep them off the line. BTW here on Caddo Lake the Crappies like a bit of red flash mixed in the tail. For some reason they like red with any thing.

Redman

Fatman

To cold here!!!!!!!!!! Temps is at 42 but the winds have been blowing at 45+ and it's keeping it cold. The big pond is almost ready to fish!!!!!!!!!!

redear

a while back I made a mold using redman's method that used a size 10 fly hook, and it cast a 1/70 round head on the front of the hook. I haven't used it yet but I have a buddy that wants some panfish flies that have a little weight to them, I have tied him some small clouser minnow flies, but being a jig tyer at heart, that mold has been on my mind. anyone that has seen the little grizzly jigs from that outfit knows what I am talkin about, these things oughta work on a fly rod.

CrappieHappy

redear said:
a while back I made a mold using redman's method that used a size 10 fly hook, and it cast a 1/70 round head on the front of the hook. I haven't used it yet but I have a buddy that wants some panfish flies that have a little weight to them, I have tied him some small clouser minnow flies, but being a jig tyer at heart, that mold has been on my mind. anyone that has seen the little grizzly jigs from that outfit knows what I am talkin about, these things oughta work on a fly rod.

Kip, sounds like that should work well for your buddy...

redear

been using the mold I made a while back, it puts out a flattened redman head in the 1/32 range, and this mold was one I almost tossed when making it because the jighead blank couldn't stand the pressure of pressing and flattened somewhat, lol, just goes to show us that you never know what has the ability to perform. just makes me laugh every time I use that mold, the head looks like a corn kernel with the fat end forward. I have been leaving the head bare and when I get ready to use one I'll scrape the sides of the jighead a little with a knife giving it a fresh silvery flash. low tech I tell ya! lol

Back