Do Not lend your jig mold to your friends

Kdog

A couple days ago someone posted a request for a few jigs from a certain mold. Having the mold, I responded and offered. Went to my shop only to find the jig mold was on loan to a buddy, (has been since may 28th).

A quick phone call and jig mold is back where it belongs. This AM. I was gonna cast a handful of jigs and when I opened the mold to check hook sizes I was greeted by a mess the likes of which I have never seen.

My buddy had very sloppily modified the mold to take different hooks as well as eliminate the ring and barb collar, (My buddy is a model maker for a plastics company and I remembered his asking if I minded him making some adjustments to hook alignment and size, I thought a minute and knowing what he does for a living felt comfortable saying yes). 3 hours this AM were spent trying to remove his mess. I got the stuff out and was able to make a few casts but was not happy and the casts were very rough.

I cast the samples and dredged up a handful of jigs from my overstock to send the guy for samples.

I called my buddy and raised H#*& and asked what he used to destroy my mold. Anyhow, the product he used which is darn near indestructable is called quick steel. He has offered to replace the mold but said you should be able to clean it up. I gave him the model number and said barlows or zeiners will have the best price. Let me know when the mold arrives.

Anyhow it being a matter of pride I went to town trying to salvage the mold. It took the following tools and about 4 hours to get the mold cleaned up and functioning.

-Hammer and small punches
-Jewlers files, dental picks
-Dremel with assorted diamond burrs, wire brushes and felt wheels
-Aluminum polishing compound.
-Electric toothbrush with baking soda and soap and water.

Mold is now cleaned and polished except the are several gouges in the shank area by the ring and barb and one cavity is iffy as he drilled a bigger sprue hole and removed part of the eye socket.

I need to redo the hook eye sockets as they are meaningless and useless as they are moron milled a slot 0.090 deep from edge of cavity all the way to the next cavity, I havent the foggiest idea what hooks he was trying to fit but he missed by a mile. When he got the mold from me all the small cavities would work with a #1 hook 1/4 oz and up needed the gooks recommended by Do It as cavities are so big that a smaller hook would never work. I am gonna use JB weld and redo the sockets but think it is going to be a 2 or 3 step process.
Step 1 Fill the slot
Step 2 Determine hook c/l and cut a 1/32 wide by 0.015 deep slot
Step 3 Spot the hook eye area
Going to be a tedious process as I have to do it all with a drill press and a cross slide table

Anyhow, here is the link to the product which is available at a lot of auto parts stores for crack repair http://www.grainger.com/product/1MP...1MPW1&ef_id=UhcCoQAAAEVZl1OR:20131127001235:s

I was reading the specs on it and after trying to remove it, would say if you need a permanent repair is is a material worth using. It is hard to work with once cured but it is a permanent repair

Moral of the Story - NEVER LEND YOUR MOLDS!
Note the damage/modifications to the 4 smallest cavities and the little pieces of quicksteel still attached
View attachment 4View attachment 3

Attachments

• Mold Damage 2.JPG
    Mold Damage 2.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Mold Damage 1.JPG
    Mold Damage 1.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 101

toadfrog

Yea buddy I found that out a few months back . I still have spastic reactions when I see that mold lying on the shelf looking like someone used a hatchet on it .

Shoemoo

Ouch. Sucks that your mold was almost ruined. He milled the eye socket into the bottom of the cavity for the next head?

I'm interested in seeing the damage. Any chance you could take a pic?

jig-guy

In life I have learned after 72 years if folks don't earn the money and pay for their own stuff they will never respect it or take care of it. I do not borrow stuff because I don't want to mess someone elses stuff up. IMHO
My family thinks I am a jerk because I will not loan anything I own out. That is why I have nice stuff after all these years. I am still catching :reeling:yellowtails in the Pacific on my first Penn 500 reel that I purchased in 1953. This reel still is a 9 out of 10.
Oh I earned the $12.50 mowing lawns and pulling weeds when I was 12.
tl
Jerk Bill / jig-guy:rolleyes:

sticksteer

Bill, I'm the same way sir ! Over the years I have loaned out tools,#1 they rarely find their way home unless you go get them,#2 there never in the condition they left in ! I too am a jerk when it comes to loaning out my stuff !

smalljaw

I have a friend that is constantly asking for me to loan him a mold, sort of a swap, he'll lend me one of his in exchange. The problem is he doesn't have what I need and I don't want to ruin a friendship if my mold comes back in bad shape or if I have to call 3 times a day and bug him in order to get the mold back.

Hawnjigs

KISS
K-dog, sounds like you maybe enjoy the challenge of fixing the mold? Do-its are a huge bargain and simply aquiring a new one could save what sounds like MANY hours of tinker time.

Yup, tools are best never loaned or borrowed, unless the need is dire.

jig-guy

Hawnjigs said:
K-dog, sounds like you maybe enjoy the challenge of fixing the mold? Do-its are a huge bargain and simply aquiring a new one could save what sounds like MANY hours of tinker time.

Yup, tools are best never loaned or borrowed, unless the need is dire.

X2
Mark it up to learning not to loan. Go get a new mold and move on. Some of the old classic molds that you crafters have may not be able to be replaced. I would not let any classics out of my sight.:jig:

LedHed

Sponsor
I would let him replace the mold and let him keep the one he jacked up. The mold is not worth a friendship but he wouldn't be borrowing anything from me again.

Have been lucky - the few times I've lent molds out - they have come back fine. However there are only a few people I would loan them to.

Kdog

I will try to salvage just to say I did. Still seething but got cc'd on his order from Zeiners. I did attach pics to the original post just to clarify things. There are some grey pieces still stuck which I want to get out before I patch. Probably gonna use red silicone just for experimentation. Normally, I would use JB Weld or Lab Metal. The mold is not a classic or anything special. But it is a mold I use a lot. Probably why I got several boxes full of jigs from it.

I know better than to lend but his boat always has an open seat for me. Sometimes the risk is worth the return!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Hahahaha! I do know the feeling. Sometimes that 'open seat' does cost a little something. :)

Kdog said:
....I know better than to lend but his boat always has an open seat for me. Sometimes the risk is worth the return!

fishindad

Yeah.... its a lesson I have seen elsewhere. I dont understand it either. I would NEVER mod another guys mold. But I am the guy who borrows your lawn mower when mine is broken and returns is clean and full of gas, when I received it dirty and the fuel tank empty.

On a good note, I was looking for something better than JB weld to do a round head mold modification. I need to get rid of the barbs on a mold of mine. This quick steel stuff looks great!

toadfrog

fishingdad Buddy , if you ever need to sell the mold the value will go down moding it that way . Alot of folks use high temp silicone . It will stay a very long time and it is removable . Liquid Steel and things are great for permanent repair but if you ever need to sell or trade may hurt ya in the end .

fishindad

See... there I go learning something again. Thats 2x on this forum in one day. LOL. Glad I saw this before I did that. Thanks!! Its an old hilts mold but that will do the trick. Thanks Toadfrog!

Back