mold questions for redman

redear

I have been pouring some with the single cavity home made molds lately and they are my favorite to pour, finished product is just smoother and little to no flashing. perfect for the hobbyist.

redear

poured some more heads yesterday with the oval headed 1/16 pinkie jig style mold, using the 2x lite wire size 4 hooks from mustad. have been thinking about making a pillhead mold, just need to decide what size would come in most handy, they sure would be great for painting big eyeballs on them. I need to get motivated.

redear

someone on cdc asked the question, how would a guy make his own jig mold? I told him without a cnc machine and some training there aren't alot of options for an aluminum mold. I said there is a method well documented on another site for single and double cavity molds, from the view count I think there are a few looking over here. I did recently buy 2 jacobs jighead molds, in 1/24 and 1/16 roundhead to play with also and am real happy with them, for 50 bucks apiece they are a steal, I think I have around 700 heads poured so far with only about 6 heads that I remelted. I wanted a 1/24 roundhead but for this price and the number of cavities, I passed on making it in a single pour and just got the jacobs. they have a 1/24 pillhead or whatever ya wanna call it too, seriously considering that one as well. been tying some meatgetter style jigs lately, haven't fished them yet but I really like the style because of the chenille and kiptail and extra flash added, he's got one called spanky ( thats the color combo name ) pink head yellow chart chenille and kiptail with some flash added, everyone in mississippi swears by it, oh well I guess I'm ramblin.

redear

guys and gals, I have really enjoyed the molds that I made back a couple years ago, and people are always asking where I got these certain jigheads, lol. Lately the 3/32 redman head with no collar has been getting alot of use, been using these for small bucktails, some of the people around here catch crappies on them especially on kerr reservoir. these single and double cavity molds have held up great with thousands of heads being poured. thanks again to Redman for the specifics on how to make these molds! cannot say enough about the satsfaction of making your own mold.

redear

I have 2 molds that I made this way and shown on this thread that have become favorites of mine and also a few friends. the oval head for the kiptail jigs and also the flattened redman head mold also for kiptail jigs, they are probably 1/16 and 1/24. still use round heads for marabou and chenille , but nothing beats making your own heads from a mold you made. heck it's a rewarding for me as actually catching fish, especially when my friends tell me my jigs put fish in their boats.

LedHed

Sponsor
A real Jigman - getting rare now days.

This post is another chapter in the evolution of the lead head jig.

Thnx
redman & redear

Uncle Grump

Curiosity question.....Might be alot of work...but here goes.....

Can the missing pics from this thread get reposted? Seems alot of them were orignally in Photobucket and are now gone....

UG

redear

uncle grump, I am a computer dummy so I don,t know, Fatman may have some of them recorded somewhere, he was a big part in perpetuating this thread along with several others. I was sending cell phone pics to several people and they were adding them to the posts. It may be possible to add some new ones in the future with the same help, as I'm still computer challenged, however my home made press looks pretty bad now that it's got rust all over it, my son used it for something outside and left it there, maybe a wire brush mounted on a drill will purty it back up, lol. kip

redear

I probably mentioned this before, but for anyone buying aluminum to make these molds, I would suggest the 6063 variety which is softer and more formable than the 6061. I think I bought mine from online metals and it was 4 inches wide and 3/4" thick, so I had to saw it down the middle with my bandsaw to make the size chunks I wanted. the had it in 1"x2" also but you have to remember you have to find a pair of channel locks that will open up wide enough to hold this when you are done. It's easier to find a pair that will open up to hold the 1 1/2" wide mold rather than the 2" wide one. I tried putting handles on the molds at first and have since decided that I liked using them without any handles or hinges, the only drawback to that is when the mold gets hot, you need to move on to another mold for a while till that one cools down. for hobbiests that isn't a big deal.

redear

and for anyone wanting to make their own press, I would suggest using iron square tubing 3" x 3/8", for the horizontal cross pieces, this is heavy and massive, but you won't have to worry about the jack bending them. you could use 2 pieces of this heavy stuff for the cross pieces and have them cut 12 inches long each and then use 1 inch angle iron for the upright corners. get yourself a 6 ton bottle jack, it will be more durable than a 4 ton with the abuse you will put it thru. then the other thing is you need to figure out how tall you will need the inside clearance of the frame to be. this will determine how long the little corner pieces of angle iron need to be, you need enough clearance in there for the jack plus the mold plus about a half inch extra for the jighead blank. it helps to have a welder and a chop saw, or know someone who does. It took me forever to cut thru the massive square tubing with my chop saw, I probably should have just let the guy at the steel place do it with a cutting torch, the ends don't have to be perfect anyway.

redear

I'm thinking about buying another piece of the softer 6063 aluminum for making a few more molds if need be, seeing as I am retiring at the end of December. Seems to me the last piece I bought was from online metals and it was 3/4" inch thick and 4 inches wide and I cut it up on the bandsaw with a smaller tooth blade. I can't think of a head I need to make one for now but it can't hurt to have the material, I have plenty of the 1/4" brass round rod for the pins.

redman

Have not posted in a long while. Glad to see that the information is being put to good use. My time is sadly not as long as I would like old age catches up with all of us. I am glad that this was so well documented. I received it from the first generation to make lead head jigs. Now it is passed to the next generation. Most all of my knowledge is in some way contained within this site.

I feel now that my job is about finished and I can start to have fun. With the full knowledge that the next few generations will be armed with mold making and Iowa style walleye Jig patterns. The names of C.J. "Cap" Kennedy, Jim Stone, Paul Wieland, Lacey Gee, Art Achers, Doc Hamilton, and Dr. Phillip Pugh, Erwin Sias, Frank Harnett, George Myers and few that even I have forgotten their names will be lost in the annals of time. Their hard work and dedication to perfecting the modern lead head jig as we know it will live on.

It was never the Redman that made or developed anything that hadn't been done before. It was a smart mouth cocky kid that was allowed to walk with giants. To be taught and schooled by them. Task Masters they were hard and rough teachers that would yell scream at the slightest mistake. Now I know why I was chosen. To pass it all along to you the next generation.

Do me a great favor as no one around me or my family real wants to learn what I have to teach. Make it your goal to pass along what I have taught you teach the next generation or at the least keep this information on the web for all future generations. As my mentors ask for no pay neither do I only that you do the same.

Redman

Back