Victory Jig Hooks

Hawnjigs

KISS
Shorty's ain't got em yet, so ordered some 100s of types I can use for a look see. The sickle varieties are basically knock offs of standard light wires and some long discontinued heavier wire sickle shaped equivalents of EC 635, 413, and Mustad 32786.

Victory claims to use premium quality Belgian steel, and IMO using finger stress tests all the hooks I got were more resistant to bend outs than equivalent wire size EC, VMC, Mustad, & even Gamakatsu. All points were superbly sharp.

I only got a few sizes sickles & here's my impressions: Note that the last 3 #s of the model #s designated the other brands equivalent model #s.
V 11149 - standard light wire 90* sickles as mentioned had annoying shape discrepancies. #6 had slight eye twist and points were noticeably bent down toward shanks which I actually liked for increased bend out resistance. #4 shape was standard like other brand sickles & had slightly long eye legs.
V11413 - heavy wire 60* nicely shaped sickle which #4 shortened shank did not fit my #4 round bend mold.
V11786 - heavy wire 60* with a hybrid shape straight point transitioning into the sickle "V-lok" hard angle rather than a 32786 round bend. 1/0 another shorter shank no-fit.
V11635 - 90* heavier (not heavy) wire that I really like to replace mediocre sharpness-wire strength EC 635. 1/0 & 2/0 were perfect.

I predict these will become extremely popular with those willing to pay a bit more for top of the line strength and sharpness + the arguably superior sickle design.

Hawnjigs

KISS
All Victory jig hooks appear to be shameless knock offs of other brand hooks except for this V10360.
1676419578940.png
Altho most V hooks are comparably priced with their other brand counterparts this one is pricey maybe because this style appears to be an original exclusive to Victory. I really like the V10360 in 1/0 & 2/0 being narrower gapped and slightly lighter wire replacing Mustad 32786 NPBN. Haven't wet them yet but looks ideal for pinning 3" soft baits for inland warm water species as big as they get.

All Victory jig hooks I've gotten have been optimally sharp and strong, but some hook fits have been a problem with eyes not exactly fitting the mold slots designed for the original fit other brand hooks. The V10360 2/0 had to be slightly shank bent to fit my 2/0 32786 molds..

Not sure if it will be a recurring problem, but two 1/0s snapped attempting shank bends. Hope not cuz I dipped for a box of 1,000.

Last edited:

duffy

I ran across that with some of those original Matzu’s. Some would bend like butter and others would snap like glass. I don’t know how those companies temper hooks but it appears that with some it’s not an even process.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Tried the V10360 1/0 in 1/8 Hooksups and 2/0 in 1/4. They work fine sticking fish but the points fold too easily contacting rocks for my liking. Not uncommon to have to re-sharpen the same hook many times after even light hard bottom ticks. Been so annoying I quit using them & have switched back to Gamakatsu full time which are way more resistant to point folds.

I suspect the other Victory hooks I got will have the same problem.

hookup

I gotta pix somewheres, but lost a huge flat head catfish recently on a Gami 114 2/0 worm hook. Fish had to be at least 40 pounds. Bent the hook clean at a 90d bend right at the bend of the hook. Still got a long fight out of the hook, so I was happy.

But I was good with that because I've never lost a monster small mouth with a gami hook.

If I was chasing flatheads, I'd up to an extra heavy thick hook and more powerful rod.

I'll try Victory hooks one of these dayz, but for now the Gamakatzu and Mustad hooks make up most of the arsenal I fish with, plus some Eagle Claw LiL Nasties that pour, tie & gift

Hawnjigs

KISS
Gami 114s were my go to for years, never bent one out on a fight that I can recall including flatheads up to 40#. On 8-10# braid had to play fish within the limits of the line with an appropriate light drag setting, just takes awhile longer to tire em out.

This year tho, I have upgraded to 15# Sufix 832 and heavier wire Gami 604s and am very pleased with the results. No loss of hookset efficiency and able to bring in fish quicker, hold em from running into snags or bottom, and boost up the smaller ones without a net.

hookup

I'm fishing 15# 832 too

Tried the 10# but the sharp rocks & ledges on the rivers I fish tore it up

Thx for the tip but I'll stick with the 114s because I have confidence in them and they stick good

JUNGLEJIM1

I purchased some v10360 1/0 jig hooks and after painting several of the hooks broke at the top of the hook eye while cleaning paint out of eye with my half hitch tool. Happened with some #4 and #6 Victory sickles as well. Never had broken a hook there before with any hook. Very disappointed with the 10360 hooks and won't be ordering them again, high priced junk hooks. Reluctant to use the ones that didn't break.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Victory jig hooks look great, well shaped and finished, finely honed sharp points and finger test bend out resistance seems good. Curious that the steel apparently high carbon and hard tempered to brittleness should also be prone to minimal force point folding.

V11149 #6 in trout jigs have performed OK no breaks, bend outs on fish and point fold not a problem in mostly soft bottom river habitat.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Mr. HU, IMO to take full advantage of 15# braid power you should consider upgrading hook wire strength from 114 to 604 to get optimal benefit from stronger line. The bend out limitation of the 114 will not allow you to exert pull pressure the 15# braid is capable of. Also, the light wire 114 while capable of landing big fish will eventually bend out de-hooking deeply embedded in hard lip or bone species. Since my area offers large size wallys, wipers, & cats many in excess of 10# bent out 114s are quickly retired.

Your 1/8 Do-it RH mold would require modifying the hook eye slots and shank channels to fit the heavy wire hooks.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Even before I experienced the shortcomings of Victory jig hooks, a very knowledgeable hook dealer mentioned that those hooks are mfg in the same facility that sourced Matzuo.

hookup

Mr. HU, IMO to take full advantage of 15# braid power you should consider upgrading hook wire strength from 114 to 604 to get optimal benefit from stronger line. The bend out limitation of the 114 will not allow you to exert pull pressure the 15# braid is capable of.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Just spent 8 days in Northern Quebec and never had one failure from the hook. But did have smallies break the 15#. Had to watch your line like a hawk up there. Smallies got teeth up there. Bass thumb on day 1 and torn skin on day 2

As far as a thin wire 114 versus the thicker wire 604, never lost one monster of a smallie due to a 114 hook failure. A buddy once put it this way "a thin wire hook will penetrate quicker than 10 penny nail thick hook

Kinda busy now, but when I get some time will post a report of the trip. Surreal.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Few days ago had on a big wally and thinking it was whupped got careless on the last pull to shore. Big girl did an unexpected full blast U-turn and bent out my 2/0 114. Can't remember that happening before on many big fish, maybe I got used to the stronger 604s. Still got some painted 114 heads will only use them for smaller fish from now on.

Do you use a mono leader? I ALWAYS do - 15# fluoro coated stiff high memory mono terrible for spooling on a reel but mostly bullet proof as a leader.. First for me recently - same situation as the aforementioned wally a BIG wiper snapped the leader at the jig knot due to not reacting quicker to lessen the shock of a last gasp turnaround rip.

Your buddy exaggerates - Gamakatsu sharpness and hookset power braid makes the 604 stick just fine speshly since I slam em in hard. 604 could be more accurately described as a medium wire hook, 2/0 .037 wire diameter compared to Mustad 32786 2/0 .051.

Mr. HU one day when your 114 bends out on what could be a catch of a lifetime remember "I told you so".

Hawnjigs

KISS
Never say never...few nights ago had on a big wally & now careful to react to sudden rips by dropping the rod tip felt a pop and loss of weight. What? not again thinking line failure but as it turns out the formerly 100% confidence Gami 604 actually broke. Oh well, 99% ain't bad.

hookup

I was thinking about this recently

I use mostly black nickel hooks. They are hardened. They bent and it distrusts the hardening. If you ever watch that knife making show, after beating and bending the metal, they heat it up until it's glowing then drop the blade either into water or cold oil. Anything can bend a hook slightly - and if you fish it after the bend you're asking for problems.

I'll admit, I'll grab pliers and bend the hook back in place. I'm lazy sometimes. And if it breaks it's my own dang fault

Hawnjigs

KISS
Gamis don't normally break, they're tempered just hard enuf to bend out under excessive pull force. I've had no problems using rebent 604s, not so much confidence with 114s. Using rebent Mustads is indeed asking for problems.

If excessively hard tempered, the hook will snap under pressure like the V10360 I attempted to pull out of a snag today.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Gamis do break, 604 twice recently on fish fights and once fixing a bend out. So, since I got a whole box of Victory 10360 1/0 decided to give em a fair shake. Last night & night before same jig head pinned with half Gulp troos Sinking Minnows 13 catfish most 7-10# with a few 20#+. Was careful not to hang bottom so only had to resharpen once. Hook stuck and held excellent, only one drop off & after all those heavy tugs & a few bottom snags barely noticeable very slight bend out not enuf to affect performance. Guessing that the breakers might be hopefully few and far between, further testing required. The original needle point folds easily, resharpened not so much.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Two more catfish sessions using V 10360 1/0 heads. Another slightly bent out on fish fights head still functional with no drop offs, and another broke instead of bending out on a terminal bottom snag. Hard bottom snag point folds continue to be annoying, but back in bizness after a quick touch up with an Eze Lap.

So total 4 sessions 36 cats lots of chunks including several 20#+ on 3 V 10360 1/0 hook heads 2 slightly bent out retired and one broke on snag. No fish lost due to hooks failure.

Final comments - Mustad 32786 NPBN also prone to point folds and unnecessarily heavy wire for my fresh water apps. Prefer the narrower gap of the lighter wire V 10360 so it will have a place in my arsenal of 60* heads. But as JungleJim mentioned overpriced at almost double the cost of 32786.

Anyone want to field test I will send a few 1/8 Hooksups with 1/0 V 10360 hooks to try. PM me. no cost to you. Heads will be low melt lead free not suitable for powder painting.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Been using Victory hook jigs more lately, mostly 10360 1/0 and 11413 #2 and am starting to really like them. Both are unique with no other brand alternates available. No abnormal bend out or breakage problems, both stick and hold as well as any and serve my preference for heavier wire hooks. As mentioned all sharp hooks including Gamakatsu will point fold on hard rock snags and after the first touch up hone the Victory points are a bit more resistant to folding.

Want to get more 10360 2/0 but not willing to pay $30 per 100. The 11413 #2 & #1 are reasonably priced at $13 per 100, likewise the 11635 2/0 $15 per 100.

IMO tho black nickel finish is preferable to salt water tinned.

Back