Mustad Skipjack’s, updated 6/30

duffy

Got to take a quick peek at the Mustads that I ordered. They look pretty good and appeared to be a bit heavier. This AM I grabbed a mic and compared with a EC that was close by and it appears that the mustads are about .004 heavier. I’ll have to check closer maybe tonight to make sure I was comparing same sizes but they seem stiffer.

Ok, measured some #4" and 2/0's tonight. 
EC Nasty #4  .027
Matzu #4      .029
Mustad SJ     .032
Mustad also had a .120 longer shank

EC Nasty #2/0 .036
Matzu     #2/0 .037
Mustad   #2/0 .040
All were the same length but the bends are a little different I suppose for patent reasons. Sharpness seems to be about the same but I haven't checked the whole bag. Have to see how they hold up to the stress test when I get around to that. Someone here has probably already gone through that.
With the larger shank I'm hoping to eliminate the flashing on the shanks and up around the eye's on a couple of my molds. Was more of a problem on a couple of hilts that I have.

MtnFisher

Good to know. I know a thinner hook penetrates easier but is more prone to break.

So its a tradeoff between more hooksets vs hook breakage?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

hookup

I agree with the thinner hook. What penetrates your hand better? A pin or a nail

As far as hook breakage, the size of the fish is a function of breakage - most fish I target would simply bend the hook

Kdog

Although I prefer the thinner hook, they tend to bend rather than break, but its rare because I catch every 100# rock in the lake.. Probably why I make my own jigs.. Having said that I use a lot of #4 hooks and have never had a fish straighten one. Thicker hooks may survive longer, but they get dull and in the heat of the moment we often forget to touch up those points.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Its an ingrained habit after every hard snag to check the point, and touch up with a pocket EZ lap as needed. The few times I forgot was reminded by missed hooksets.

Eagle Claw anything & Mustad NPBN point fold easily, Gamakatsu 114 seems a bit tuffer. Mustad Ultra Point was the most fold resistant, too bad discontinued.

Back