Victory Jig Hooks

Hawnjigs

KISS
Tried fitting the 10360 1/0 into a Sparkie mold which has a center post in the hook eye socket and like JungleJim1's experience the hook eyes snapped in half from the post insert pressure into the slightly undersize hook eyes.

As posted tho hooks performance in use was acceptable if not exemplary so will continue using them as I like the narrower gap than the somewhat similar Mustad 32786. Also as posted the hooks need to be shank bent slightly to fit some molds.

hookup

Tried the VMC 9147 BN and they were more fragile than any other hooks I've fished with. Even lost a few medium sized smallies. I use to love the VMC barbarians but Barlows only sells them from 3/0 and up.

I have a theory. If I get a bad pour, I'll melt the lead off the hook and re-pour using the same hook. Wonder if this could be the cause of the weak breakage?

Hawnjigs

KISS
Dunno why but the once superb VMC 9147 BN became prone to bend outs years ago so I quit buying them.

Mr. HU, are your defective hooks bending out or breaking ?

I regularly melt off and re-pour bad castings and haven't had a problem with hook quality degradation.

Hawnjigs

KISS
A final comment on the Victory 10360 - still catching fish but the constant need to resharpen point folds even on a light hard bottom tick is annoying.

Bill Krejca

Re: Victory - I have used #1,2,4, ,molding heads with Do-It molds. I have not found any problems of any kind, hooks fit in molds. The hooks hold up well, for crappie and also walleye, got a 31" walleye, no problemo. When Matzuo went under, I understand some of the employees started up Victory. Earlier, I did try some Eagle Claw knockoffs, was disappointed with them. I'll continue use Victory, satisfied as a great hook for my purposes.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Mine were bending out, yours breaking - you'd think VMC would have better quality control considering they've been making hooks since 1910.

Last year I found it odd that new Gamakatsu worm hooks were breaking dehooking catfish & bass. Recently noticed they were "made in Thailand" when a box of Gami EWG jig hooks I just got were also "made in Thailand".

hookup

Mine were bending out, yours breaking - you'd think VMC would have better quality control considering they've been making hooks since 1910.

Last year I found it odd that new Gamakatsu worm hooks were breaking dehooking catfish & bass. Recently noticed they were "made in Thailand" when a box of Gami EWG jig hooks I just got were also "made in Thailand".
Found a couple hundred jigs I poured with old Matzuo hooks. Will be fishing them until I run out

Back