Matzuo Hooks

Hawnjigs

KISS
Popular it seems with forum members,  how's the quality lately?

I just got some 3x Matzuos & the #4 3x round bend had at least 80% defective twisted eyes and/or off center points. Altho most of those were tediously repairable around 50 of them turned out to be throwaways which were soft as butter when attempting to bend. I'm worried that some of the OK shape 20% that I didn't need to bend were also soft.

The 1/0 3x Sickles had over half needing bend repairs tho no softies.

Fatman

Haven't bought any since the problems they had with the #4 black chrome ones. I've done a line test pull on all of those and I'll use them up but I started buying the EC Lil Nastys. Haven't had any problems with them yet. Just didn't think it was worth the hassle to buy any more and have to send them back.

For a while Capt Hooks told everyone with problem Matzuo's to send them back to Matzuo.

hookup

I just poured a bunch w/ 3/0 black chrome and had only 1 or 2 bad hooks per 100

duffy

Same here! The ones I have were either like butter or would snap like glass. Fortunately I didn't have a pile of them and went through and tested all of them. Last ones I'm buying.

JUNGLEJIM1

Last week I poured a 1000 #2 black nickle sickles and didn't have one bad hook in the box for the first time ever. Got lucky with this box, normally throw away at least 20 in a box with soft or bent hooks. Had a bad day Thursday losing fish after fish with #4 sickles and finally switched to Owner's thinking it might be due to small barbs but still kept losing fish. Just one of those weird days. Usually don't lose that many even over several trips. It could have been the rod  I was using. Stiffer Fast action rod fishing river current areas might have been reason, trying a different rod next time.

redear

I believe the difference here is that hawnjigs may have been using the heavy 3x jighooks, those wouldn't compare apples to apples to the fine wire models of the same style. I agree that there are plenty of defects with the matzuo but the thing is they are cheap and they are way sharper than the eagle claw sickles. and the eagle claw sickles have a more pronounced curved point when compared to the matzuo's and the gap is closed too much, I'm not sure why they had to do that.

Back