Squid Jig Mold

Bucho

Howdy!

I came across this cheap knock-off from a pouring supply store that makes cheap knock offs from molds that some guys found desireable for Norway n stuff. The action is fantastic, a very unique lure! The mold however is nothing to work efficiently with. The perfect fit of do-it inserts for jigging and shad spoon indicates that it was copied from something that was tailored for the Do-It insert universe, allthough probably discontinued. It looks like the squid mojo from collin`s customs but is not the same. Would love to know more about that mold and if it is available.

38515048cn.jpg

38515049il.jpg

Hawnjigs

KISS
Have you been able to test the vertical mid-body eyelet Collins design to compare action?

Your "knock off" mold looks capable of quality precision castings, and in theory I prefer the forward horizontal line attachment.

Bucho

I have ordered some unpainted jig sample on ebay but do not expect anything like this. This thing is unique, a true hybrid of slab and hair jig. If it wasn`t that big I would chuck it at zander. The way it wobbles, darts and planes sideways is spectacular.

Trust me, it isn`t. The sprue is pencil-thick and, other than a do-it-mold, the surface is not machined at all, making flash and all sorts of other time consuming corrections inevidable. This thing is for private play and a little prototyping only. Its retails at less than 20 bucks.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Didn't realize you had to clean the castings pictured.

Reminds me of the Canadian airplane jig, tho I never saw one in hand.

Airplanejig1-228x228.jpg

Bucho

Nice colors!

I drilled a hole in one today to change the balance. It actually catches the water and darts not up but forward when pulled, even on a vertical pull, and then planes to the side. Very nice. Very unique. My neighbours with the cnc cutter are busy right now re-organizing their business for corona stuff but as soon as that settles I will develop something with two or more attachment alternatives for nose or center balance and different actions, including something in the Canadian plane jig size. Zander is money and I have a feeling the fish just have to love them.  

38541352lm.jpg

Bucho

I´m sure they don`t eat rabbits and airplanes and still we catch them with hide and jigs. Squid jigs are made for American Salt water and you hardly find them smaller than 2oz, hence "develop". The raw jigs I ordered start at 1/2 oz which might just about scratch the range, depending on the hook which I suspect to be massive. A silicon mold knock off from that with a light wire migt be something to start trials with.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Unlike perfect appearance replica fly tiers us jig designers are perhaps more concerned with strike response trigger movement. Sounds like your squid jig may offer different from the usual action, and the novelty may entice sales.

Nowadays at my only choice over harvested spot I'm C&R-ing a few remaining walleye as well as anyone if not better with the same unpainted head 3" PowerBait Ripple Shad. No need to change, but I hope your efforts at developing something new are rewarded catching fishermen.

Back