Herring head insert alternative

Shoemoo

I like the herring head mold. I don't like the inserts it takes that cost almost $0.10 each. I found a workable alternative that only costs about $0.01 apiece in the craft aisle at Wal-Mart. No mold modification required!

IMAG0944_1.jpg

IMAG0945_1.jpg

Here's a pic showing the official insert on the left and the replacement on the right:

IMAG0948_1.jpg

They are called 2" eye pins and come in the form of a loop on the end of a 2" wire. The normal use is for making jewelry and they cost about $3.50 for 315 pins. Snip the wire about 1/2" up and put a short bend in the end to keep it from falling out of the head. It's plenty strong enough for a spinner blade. Only downside is you will need a split ring as the loops are closed. I use ball bearing swivels with split rings on them, so it works out OK for me.

stlatem

I like that too, I dont like paying more for the wire than for the hook.

goodtimesfishing

What is the diameter of the wire of the insert that the mold calls for? Also curious how easily the insert bends vs. eye pin? Seems like a really easy insert to make.

stlatem

Seems plenty strong. I am going to use them.   I bought a pk. Of them at wally 315  pins,   my wife Saw what.  was doing  and she took one of them  using her round nose jewlery pliers she put an eye on
The other end of the wire then cut the wire in half.     Handed it back to me and said now you have 630 plns    bonus

Shoemoo

Yeah, I don't think they will bend under the drag of a spinner. Good idea on putting a loop in the other end. I'll have to get a pair of those pliers.

Back