"SpinMeister" Tailspinner

Bucho

I don`t usually steal designs... But when I do , I consider them a starting point rather than a blunt knock off. First I`d like to point out that I don´t market north america and of course respect the pending patent for the spin doctor/Lytles secret lure. Last autumn when I introduced the shad bait lure as a far casting harbour and boat jig for cod, one of my customers noted a resemblance to the tiemco ocean spin that retails for a whopping 13 € here, about 14$. I realized that it whas a completely different lure though, and it wasn´t before I felt the need for a far casting, fast sinking yet horizontally retrieved wobbling lure that I had a few of my molds manipulated to accept a chest eyelet.

Modification of the molds was easy with my sweet engraving machine  :cool:  yet fumbling the small eyelets around the insert of the small cavity was not only way too tedious for serial production but also casted out poorly. I had to cough up 2,000 € for a 5000 pcs minium (economical) order of custom wire forms, my biggest investment so far. The result how ever is worth it: Those things catch about anything that has teeth. Mackerel, Zander, Perch, Northern, whatever crosses its path, not to speak of the old cod. What strikes me most is the number of small mouthed flatfish which usually only goes after small natural bait. First time I tried the 1 1/2 oz version for cod in 30`of water, I immidiately hooked a 20" brown that threw the hook under the rod tip after a number of jumps. Consequently, I made a run-through version out of the 1oz cavity featuring a plastic insert for line protection. Works a treat. The larger 4-6oz mold makes nice lures for northern pike and offshore cod, but with the number of flounder taken by its smaller cousins, I believe it holds great potential for halibut mooching up in norway. The large spinner blade can deal with a stinger hook threaded on the same split ring. It pays off to invest a little time into blade size calibration. You`ll want the biggest colorado that doesn´t  make the tin version keel over under fast retrieve, typically a 4 for the smaller ones, a 5 for the bigger cavity and an 8 for the 4oz. This results in an enormous vibration that -believe it or not - transmitts in a way that you can feel in your bottom when trolling with a kayak!

25902084oh.jpg

25902085hx.jpg

25677689sb.jpg

25677690pu.jpg

25677691si.jpg

Hawnjigs

KISS
Outstanding innovation and worksmanship !

When running horizontal, does the design track straight ahead or nose down? Does the entire slab wobble?

Bucho

Hawnjigs said:
Outstanding innovation and worksmanship !

When running horizontal, does the design track straight ahead or nose down?  Does the entire slab wobble?

Like a dart.  :icon14: The talk about eyelet placement is misleading, blade calibration is key. It serves both the track stabilizing and the wobble. I started out with slim willow leafs that were good enough for cod but only a big colorado will get you the most out of this lure, and that´s far more than the mostly slim -bladet competitors. Buy yourself a spin doctor and monkey around with different blades, you will see. Too small or slim a blade and it won´t even track straight.

In hindsight, it seems like they had to place the eye way back in order to get along with the wire forms they had and consequently use a larger blade to stabelize the whole thing, resulting in an exceptional amount of body wobble. "Smarter" developments s.a. the ocean-spin.jpg placed the eye in front from the beginning, but in my observation that is not as effective with respect to the effect on the fish.

It is so well stabilized that it spins even when sinking on a tight line. A full slack will make it sprial and twist into the line though. This makes it extremely versatile for casting, mooching and trolling alike. For hardwater/absolutely dead drift vertical presentation you can still take of the blade, igonore the swivel and use it as a shad bait lure with an optional 2. hook.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Thank you for sharing that the oversize looking blade serves a function. Do you find slabs are working better than single hook jigs?

Do you make soup with the cod heads? Does one get tired of eating cod?

hookup

Nice cod in the last pix. We ate allot of cod while living in Germany. Mom would take the bones afterwards and make fish stock.

Billy Westmoreland used and wrote about a Pedigo Spin Rite tail spinner. They use to sell them in the US, but I haven't seen them for a while. An online search will bring them up. DoIt use to (still does?) make a mold for them.

Spinrite.jpg

I thought about getting a mold, but never did

Bucho

I do. The idea behind it was coalfish. Seriously.

The baltic sea is shallow, for a number of reasons and applications sometimes you need the range of a casting spoon, preferably tin. Only a handfull of my customers - all of them enthusiastic, heavy users - make full jigging use of my tin slabs. Most others just cast and retrieve them wading beaches.

Traditionally, slabs in the salt were only used as clumsy 2-5oz lead sticks on party boats.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Outstanding work and sounds like very successful testing with them. I've always loved the thump a big Colorado blade makes. I need to play with more spinner style baits for my local walleye population and see how they respond to them. The picture of the perch eating the perch is pretty cool. :cool:

Are you tap painting those with powder paint or are you air brushing the paint on? You have some amazing paint jobs with the color contrast and how the details of the gills and fins show up.

Bucho

Thanks! I used a permanent marker on the extra purdy perch stripes for my private stack so they don´t count. The contrast I get solely out of tapping. What I emphasize is

- a big broad brush for a wide, steady shower of paint. Nobody open a window!!!
- a good deal of clear epoxy base for durability
- at least one candy color in the mix for smoothness
- very hot item temperature so the colors instantly melt on the surface and blend into each other. The "parrot" color is a good example for that, the back has only blue tapped over yellow blending into shades of green.

QPassage

hookup said:
Nice cod in the last pix.  We ate allot of cod while living in Germany.  Mom would take the bones afterwards and make fish stock.

Billy Westmoreland used and wrote about a Pedigo Spin Rite tail spinner.  They use to sell them in the US, but I haven't seen them for a while.  An online search will bring them up.  DoIt use to (still does?) make a mold for them.

Spinrite.jpg

I thought about getting a mold, but never did

I have that mold if you need some to play with PM me.  My mold is set for tail spinners but I'm sure I could cut it to accommodate the top wire.

QPassage

Well even though it was hot as heck in the barn I had to go try this thing.  Once everyone gets out of the pool I'll test this baby and see what it does.  "Wife gave me the look, so I tucked my tail and ran and hid."  It's a wee bit different as I prefer the inline blades.  I also like my snap lock that allows to change the hook in the back quickly.

20160821_145717.jpg

20160821_145811.jpg

I'm very curious as to what you all think.  Thinks  Bo

QPassage

Fatman said:
They're actually making them again!!  http://www.pedigoslures.com/

Do you find less of a thump with the inline blade instead of using the Indianna blade???  I've got some old Little Georges and the colorado blade really thumps.
Yes less of a thump, but, the inlines always turn.  That's what I like abot them.

Back