Jig Swap #16

Shoemoo

Got the list updated. Looks like we're getting a pretty good turnout. Should be fun to see what people come up with.

I'll post pictures when I get the jigs, but feel free to post your own if you like.

Fatman

Here's mine - Renegade on a jig
100_5461.jpg
[/img]

AndyLane

Picked up the things I needed for mine today. Its just me and the kids here tonight. If or when I get my little one to go to bed this evening I'm going to sit down and tie em up.

Pepop

I'm not really a bream guy but on Palestine, those Renegade's would do the trick. Good job Doug! :icon14::icon14:

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I'm way toooooo busy right now. Sign me up. :D Hopefully will have some time to get them painted this week - tie i have in mind is simple!

Shoemoo

Tomorrow is the last day for sign ups. The bluegill spawn is right around the corner in a lot of areas, so get in while you can!

papaperch

One of my favorites for bluegills. I actually started tying this jighead pattern for my friends who could not flyfish. One of my favorite flies for big gills is the royal coachman.. On certain ponds I fished as a young man
a coachman was the best producer.. Not a few of my friends were either too clumsy or too lazy to learn how to cast a fly. I reasoned that the coachman was made up of as far as colors a dash of red , peacock herl and black. and finally white. At first I started tying an almost exact replica of the coachman on a jig head. But found out this was not needed.

I use cross cut rabbit zonker strip. I cut a piece off no longer than a 1/4 inch. Mount the zonker strip like a saddle on the thread base of the hook. Secure with thread I use mono extra fine. There will be a distinct hump in the middle of the hook. Use a thick braided line ( about 20lb test will do. Wrap it like you would chenille up to the head to make the body even. Next piece together four long strands of peacock herl and using a hackle pliers twist into braided rope. Start at white tail and wrap again like chenille forward to head. Finally get some red thread and wrap a thin neck around hook next to head. Coat with clear fingernail polish. Metallic black FP was used to paint the jighead.

If you notice I tie this one particular fly with a little longer tail than I do usually. Seems it works a little better that way. Worst thing you can do is make the tail too thick in this particular case less is more. I also like the black nickel hook in this application. When they became available seemed my hook up ratio improved. These I tied for the swap are 1/32 oz with a # 8 hook. Smaller versions work excellent also even down to the 100th oz on a # 12 hook. Learn how to tie these as you will lose this one to a bigger non-target species.

Shoemoo

Signup is now closed and I have PMed everyone my mailing address.

Great looking jigs so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else has come up with.

AndyLane

Here is a photo of my swap jigs. I have put this pattern to the test this week and I must say that my local gills and crappie have been loving these things. More so than a lot of other jigs I've put in front of them.

View attachment 9

Attachments

• IMG_9095.jpg
    IMG_9095.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 88

Fireshadow

Here is a pic of what I came up with. Haven't tested it yet. Should work though, the dubbing has a lot of movment. -6FF8-4721-BEEA-A201B503720F-3754-000004EA4B4EAA6B.jpg

Back