BOOLIE JIG SF VERSION

quivira kid

Well, my 1/32 ones didn't spin worth a darn... I am guessing I crowded the spinner some. A 1/16-oz one I used to flip for some white bass that were chasing shad and caught one. They look great in the water! I will be tying more to try when the crappie really move in this fall.

jiggerjohn

Redear, I mostly just cast & slow retreive with very frequent pauses to let the light jig (1/24,1/32, and 1/75 oz) seek NEAR bottom.Tho have used the Boolie with a float,but generally prefer the direct feel of the hit. Up here at Lake Erie,despite somewhat limited time fishing this weekend, have taken 13 differant species on the SF Blend Boolie! They seem to prefer the "redfish" (transparant orange) color of Flash Blend -around rock structures this color might give a crayfish look. Sheepshead & crappies really loved it,but just in from an hour long midday stream wade where a "tenkara" fly outfit and redfish 1/75 oz boolie nailed 8 smallmouth, and goodly numbers of rock bass!Many.many fish took my boolie while it was diving down (small propeller ALWAYS swims!).

Quiv Kid, Yep, you can jam a bearing bead too close for it to spin. I like a 1/4" gap ,cause it always spins freely, and with this spacing I can remove any trace of weed that thwarts spinner freedom. I ALWAYS tie my Boolies with a tiny brass fly cone rather than a round metal bearing,because the cone slides back over wrappings to automatically give prop space on the hook shank.

jiggerjohn

JJ1 ,I have been tying the SF by itself, and quite thin, about an inch and a half long. I view this as a thin minnow look, whereas the mink strip gives me more a leech look. I will be experimenting with a combo of the two, but concentrate on the the mink's action ,by keeping that tail extended, and only a thin quarter inch tiny tuft of SF to prevent the mink tail from flapping over the hook point too much, and to add flash. Now at Lake Erie, I became a huge fan of the Redfish color SF (burned thru all the jigs of this color I had, due to fish wreckage, trying to haul too-heavy fish for thin mono up over the pier rocks, & snags!) and plan any future (starting TODAY !) Boolie tying to have at least a belly portion of two-tone jigs with that color included! These two toners, of course, will feature two VERY thin sections of SF !

redear

jiggerjohn,....Jig wreckage due to fish? alrighty then..I can,t take it anymore. lol gonna have to start collecting these props and cones. thanks for all the info too guys! Iv'e got some real nice lakes I wanna try this on, crappies, shellcrackers etc, etc.

Hawnjigs

KISS
PA Vermillion River area shoreline species trip tally from JiggerJohn:
"Lm bass, sm bass,sheepshead, bluegill, rock bass, white bass, freshwater dace,yellow perch (nice ones!),crappie,sunfish, white perch,, chub, and emerald shiner. Woulda been a bigger list with a few more hours out there and a tussle with a carp and a cat, plus maybe gobies and bullheads."

Len

Got a good assortment of 1/32nds ready for the tackle bag and looking forward to trying these out!!!!...
Jigs128.jpg

Hawnjigs

KISS
OK, first attempt with 1/32 #8 Ghostboos. First time with the small Wapsi fly props too, and boy do they spin EZ compared to the larger heavier lure props. The SF Blend fibers have a beautiful translucent effect but seem very stiff for small jigs. The integrated flash fibers allow a single stage KISS tie.

Hey Len, did you get to try yours out? Some of the heads in your pic look like the hooks are forward eye instead of the usual 90* up the middle?

Attachments

• FlashaBoo.JPG
    FlashaBoo.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 80

jiggerjohn

Lookin good, Hawnjigs!! It's that simple elegance that'll do it! You have the thin tie down pat, but I like to tie mine about an inch longer -this brings out the subtle wiggle at the tail end!! Tho' yours will shimmy real well with that tiny prop generating the side to side action!

Len

Hawnjigs said:
OK, first attempt with 1/32 #8 Ghostboos. First time with the small Wapsi fly props too, and boy do they spin EZ compared to the larger heavier lure props. The SF Blend fibers have a beautiful translucent effect but seem very stiff for small jigs. The integrated flash fibers allow a single stage KISS tie.

Hey Len, did you get to try yours out? Some of the heads in your pic look like the hooks are forward eye instead of the usual 90* up the middle?
No have not tried them yet and yes I made some with a 60º bend.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Hawnjigs said:
OK, first attempt with 1/32 #8 Ghostboos.......

Whoa whoa whoa, wait a sec.........! You used a GOLD prop??? Dang you sure are throwing the standards to the firing squad! Hahahaha, just joking with you (both) and your K.I.S.S. mantra. I know the simple colors and ties work but what would i do with my spare time (and change) if i didn't have color to play with. :p

Nice ties by all!

Back