BOOLIE JIG SF VERSION

StumpHunter

quivira kid said:
JUNGLEJIM1 said:
The bait I was using was the first one I made so with a little more thread they are spinning fine now,all have past the "blow test". Stump,I know you are a big fly rod fan and these should work on just a a fly hook using the smallest size propellar and coneheads and the flashblend. I think I'll tie a few boolie flies up today before I forget.

I have a pack of small and pack of medium props en route to my house right now, and have a couple fly ideas. If any of em work out, I will post up!

I also made an order today for small and medium props. Very interested in these flies and jigs.

quivira kid

Feather Craft out of St. Louis has them. If you haven't looked there at their materials selection, it might be worth your time. I get a lot of stuff from them.

Hawnjigs

KISS
To clarify, the smallest props are the small size fly props distributed by Wapsi, usually in packs of 24. The so called other "small" #1 lure props from other mfgs are larger and I believe equivelant to the Wapsi fly mediums.

It is essential that the props and bead or cone stopper bearings fit over the hook barbs. Barb sizes vary with hook brands and even batches within brands but generally the small Wapsi fly prop hook fit is #8 and smaller. The next bigger #1 lure props fit #6, #4, & #2 hooks with the larger #2 and #3 lure props for bigger hook fits. Its possible to force a slightly too small prop past a barb but at some point the barb may flatten.

For best prop function the hook shank spin area should be smooth & paint or lead flash free - a razor blade works. It takes some practice to adjust the shank spin gap between head and bearing stopper to ones preference. JiggerJohn likes a large gap because it is easier to clean out trapped weeds and debris. As "Redear" suggests the Boolie jig works best in clean open water.

redear

Iv'e got a bunch of northland jigheads made with the propellor behind the head, and they have a bead I believe and also a peice of small clear tubing slid on behind that. the hooks on these jigs have a kinked shank hook I guess so the tubing will hold in one spot. they came two to a pack and weren't cheap, the hook is bare, may have to dig those out too and after cutting the tubing off, a guy could tie the blend on.

JUNGLEJIM1

redear,I know the jigs you're talking about . Called whistler jigs. I have some around here somewhere. Not sure how well those blades spin but the small wapsi props spin like crazy. The whistler's props are larger but they should work fine.

redear

thanks for the info JJ1 I'll keep my eyes open for the wapsi props. yea, now that you mention it they were called whistlers. wondering how well a jig would do with just the flash blend , fished under a cork and tipped with a nibble etc.

quivira kid

Whistler jigs have caught me many many many white bass. But like you said, they're not cheap! The kink shank and tubing holds a grub tail very well!

JUNGLEJIM1

The best price so far on the wapsi props are J.stockard,24 pack for $2.99. I've been buying mine at Feathercraft for $3.95 for 24. Anyone find them cheaper elsewhere let me know as I'm always looking for a bargain. They come in two colors and three sizes.

StumpHunter

I made an order with Barlow on Wednesday and received it today... now that's service!! Guess what I forgot to order... yep, the SF flash...

redear

all right ya'll, I wanna hear some more about this sf blend on jigs, I know you uns have been secretly testing this stuff, don't be shy, tell us.
I haven't been out in the heat fishing but I know some guys that have been catching some big shellcrackers in this heat, I can't take it anymore, as far as sitting in 98 degree heat. I just know that gray sf blend on a pink headed jig would be a winner. I can see it on that 1/24 jighead I made a mold for recently too, yeah, the one that hangs horizontal.

jiggerjohn

Redear, That gray blend(my best is a light blue) should be terrific -bluegill&crappie seem unable to resist this stuff, so BIG shellcrackers should really go nuts! I've been using only a 1/24 oz jighead with the blend lately and it seems a perfect setup - just tie it THIN, taper it to a point(ideal minnow shape!) after tying, and fish it slowly with frequent pauses (the wispy material does a nice twitchy roll on a drop's beginning). As I write this I'm about to leave for a 3 day trip to Lake Erie -if recent storms hasn't murked-up the inshore areas too much for the SF material to GLOW properly, I should have a good report for ya soon!!

redear

jiggerjohn, thanks for the info, I'm wanting to try this stuff. ya know, that light blue is a favorite around here with the bobby garland baby shad plastic jig body 2", but I'm not much of a plastic bait guy anymore. do you ever fish jigs under a cork or do you mostly cast and retrieve or verticle? hey, good luck with your trip too.

JUNGLEJIM1

I've been using a combination of mackeral and gray with the boolies last week and this morning they were hitting the same with a small lt.brown mink strip added. Head was a 1/32 shad dart. I didn't tear them up but caught several crappie in the 9-11 inch range. Slow retrieve is key when throwing these little baits. I hit the lake before daylight and was home by 8:30 am,before the heat kicked in. 10 day forecast here calls for temps from 97-105.

Len

You guys come up with some interesting ideas so I thought I would give it a try....I used the SF Grey Blend..
One is a 1/24th and 1/48th...Was wondering if there is a special float to use with the smaller weights for cast and retreive..

Jigs127.jpg

Back