BOOLIE JIG SF VERSION

JUNGLEJIM1

I picked up a few packs of the SF FLASH BLEND today along with some beads,coneheads and a few packs of propellars and went tied a few of these boolie jigs up this evening. After hearing about Hawn's and jiggerjohn's success with these baits I just had to try and tie a few. Keep in mind this is my first try on these so there is definitely room for improvement. I like the beaded boolie jigs better so far. I tested one out in the pool this evening and the little propellar spun like crazy so I left it on and plan on trying them in the morning. The colors on these flash blends is amazing and a pack will go a long way. Feathercraft carries 45 different colors. Basically I just used the flash blends and added some duck flank fibers on a few others. The hooks are Owner's in size 2-6. View attachment 5View attachment 6

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 282
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 285

Hawnjigs

KISS
Nice FlashaBoolies - welcome to the Bool Fool club. My fresh water jig arsenal is 99% JiggerJohn Boolie patterns, with a few drab non-prop buggy ties for shy trout.

toadfrog

Made a few of those but never tried them . Got couple hundred of them prop blades hanging on the wall . Let us have the report when you fish them . Looks good hope you can beat the dink perch off the sparkle one . I have a love hate relationship with perch . Bait stealing , tail swiping little ----- . But I so love to eat them for revenge .

JSC

Set up right those little prop spinners will spin just thinking about it.
Looks Good JJ

JUNGLEJIM1

I started throwing a smallie beaver and broke off a nice one on the second cast, should have retied from my last river trip instead of being lazy and just putting on a fresh bait. Headeover to the dock and started off with THE BOOLIE DART jig I tied last night and checked in the pool. First cast and a 14 inch bass nailed it,a lot of fun on the ultralight. Next cast crappie,next cast crappie,next cast crappie,next cast had a hit but no hookup. First four casts caught fish. The action slowed after that but still ended up with 15 bass, crappie and one gill. Caught two bass on a slider/flirt worm combo. Not to bad for 2 1/2 hours on a heavily fished city park lake. Left because it was getting hot and I was thirsty.Pretty bad when your glasses start fogging up at 7:30 in the morning. Caught most of the crappie on the dart/flash blend and more bass with the ballhead/flashblend/duck feather combination. Definitely worth carrying a couple dozen of these in my tackle bag. Looks like I need to tie up some more including some larger versions.Last picture is of the two baits I used. Red finish was coming off the one on the left.
View attachment 9
View attachment 1View attachment 2
View attachment 3

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 256
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 258
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 255
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 257
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 257

JUNGLEJIM1

I needed a little more thread build up on the dart head. Bead would start to work itself over the thread and the propellar wouldn't spin properly due to excess room in the front. I kept having to push the bead back up to the prop every few casts.

Hawnjigs

KISS
What weight heads and prop sizes are you Boolie tying ?

How do you like the Owners? Worth the extra $ ?

Wait till you get to catfish water.

Fatman

Jim

Would a really small piece of shrink wrap tubing below the bead help keep it from sliding too much???

Harold Blaisdell used a little trick with three tight turns of copper wire and solder to make a small metal bead on 2 blade spinners - I'll pull the book out and post how he did it.

jiggerjohn

JJ1, Great job on those SF Boolie ties ( I call mine "Ghost BOOs"!). I kinda liked the one with the duck feather,and interested to see your dart head on them,too. But,mostly, you obviously see what I've been crowing about with that fish take on the SF Blend tails!!! I went to a small pool in local stream today for about 45 minutes (had to get back to take my grandson swimming!) with just a single ghost-boo in light blue ; like you, from the first cast on it was steady action, actually lost count, but nabbed 5 species!! Practically all had that blue SF tail deep inside their mouths,just loved that shiny little thing!!

Pup

Interesting jigs. :cool:

Used to fish a tiny 1/32-oz. (I think...) Worden's Rooster Tail spinner with a propeller blade. 'Twas a keeper 'til I lost it. ;)

JUNGLEJIM1

Hawn, I was using a 1/24 shad dart from a discontinued Do it mold that had it's weight at 1/32 but actually weighs more,ballhead is supposed to be a 1/24 but weighs a little less. The #6 Owner's were hard to find but had to have some once I did. Very sharp and hold fish really well but for the price will stick with the sickles which I really like and use the Owners sparingly. Cost about 10-12x the price of a sickle. For the price of 270 Owner's I could have gotten a few thousand sickles. I tied up another dozen tonight,definitely a fan of the boolie jig now,wished I'd tried them sooner but I'm looking forward to trying them all over. Thanks jj for the advice and information on the flash blend. I've been using a combination of gray,peacock and the mackeral and just a little certainly goes a long way. If you want to try some of the 1/24 darts or my other heads let me know and I'll send you some.

Fatman

The little beads are made from fine copper wire - and he used some acid ?? from what he says he got from a hardware store, then used solder and it made the little bead which helped keep the blades separate.

JUNGLEJIM1

The bait I was using was the first one I made so with a little more thread they are spinning fine now,all have past the "blow test". Stump,I know you are a big fly rod fan and these should work on just a a fly hook using the smallest size propellar and coneheads and the flashblend. I think I'll tie a few boolie flies up today before I forget.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yes, the prop fly is already tested and proven. Many years ago as a trouting beginner in CO a tackle shop proprietor recommended the Pistol Pete behind a casting float.
http://www.pistolpeteflies.com/

That discontinued Do-it appears to make a shorter wider front face dart head than current - nice!

Fatman, I never tried, but the shrink tube bead stopper is used by at least one CO prop jig maker.

quivira kid

JUNGLEJIM1 said:
The bait I was using was the first one I made so with a little more thread they are spinning fine now,all have past the "blow test". Stump,I know you are a big fly rod fan and these should work on just a a fly hook using the smallest size propellar and coneheads and the flashblend. I think I'll tie a few boolie flies up today before I forget.

I have a pack of small and pack of medium props en route to my house right now, and have a couple fly ideas. If any of em work out, I will post up!

jiggerjohn

I've used the tiniest size "fly propeller" on a no 10 hook shank behind one of Hawn's alloy 1/64th oz head (more like 1/75 oz) which worked beautifully on a "Tenkara" fly rod!

Back