Which vise?

ScottV

I started out with the AA vise, like most folks and upgraded to the Griffin Spider Odyssey rotating vise. I've liked it so far.

hookup

I started tying jigs for bass fishing with the hook holder on a hook sharpening tool. Not pretty, but it worked.

Then I got a $20 made in some third world country vise & it worked.

If was right around xMas when I saw a used Renzetti on one of the boards. I was going to buy it, but when the owner discovered I wanted it for hooks from 1/0 to 4/0, she advised against it and recommended an Anvil Atlas Rotary Vise.

Wife wanted to know what I wanted for Christmas - but $150 was not in my xMas budget.

When I was on the Anvil website, I found the Apex for $100, and it was on sale for 10% off, and that was my xMas gift.

I'm not sure if it's what people call an 'expensive' vise, but I love it. Its not a true rotary vise, but the head turns & suits my needs.

Pepop

My Peak is GREAT and absolutely everything it was advertised to be. I couldn't be happier with a tool.

CropE

I'm new to jig tying and I was going to go with a Regal rotary...after reading the above and watching YouTube video's..I have changed my mind already and will be buying a Peak.There is alot more than meets the eye on this jig tying...so I'm finding out.

Jighead76

Since this is a permanent thread I thought I'd put in my opinion. I've only been tying for about 6 years now so this is just what I think. Everything I learned from tying is from places like this and people like you all on here. I never took a class or had someone show me though I wish I could of had that opportunity. I found a cigar box with a AA vice in my grandpas basement when he passed and started playing. After a year or so I got the danvise used on eBay. People don't like the plastic but like others said the metal is where it counts. I like the rotating features and the ability to adjust the tension in all areas of it. I also found the manufacture online because I was still pretty new at tying and messed the jaws up. He sent me a set even before I paid. This set looks like it will last along time. Plus I'm a sucker for good customer service.
I've tried a couple others like the renzetti traveler and just couldn't get used to it. I think it's because the danvise is what I learned on and sometimes change is hard.

DrCrappie

I have four vises. Two Regal, one that I had when I first started tying about 30 yrs ago, and I picked up a Renzetti traveler in a fly tying contest at Fort Worth Fly Fishers open tie night. I tied a wooly bugger...BLINDFOLDED and won! The prize was a Renzetti traveler! I use it exclusively now. I don't know how I ever got along without a rotary vise before that! I use the heavy brass base that came with my Regal vise...wish I had the 'stupid' money for the Renzetti 'Master' vise!

Jig Man

I hear ya Dr. sure glad I picked up a rotary from the get go. And if I had a been born rich instead of so darn handsome, I'd have the ultimate indexer sittin on my desk! Or maybe one of those little jewels mad by Doug Stout...

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
LedHed said:
......Be nice if someone or a site would come up with a vise comparison geared specifically for the jig tyer......

Well lets see here................ you have a sample of every vice made from the beginning of time right?, you are a jig tyer, and you know a guy that will permanently post you write up on a website. Hint Hint.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
And that is a pretty cool review site. Looks like it just launched not too long ago and will just keep a running tab of ratings. Will be interesting to go back and look again in a few months. I've owned 2 of them on that review. Will have to add my thoughts on them.

hookup

Nice link ... even submitted a review for the vice I currently use.

LedHed

Sponsor
Think Hatches is really onto something with the reporting. Although they are looking at the more expensive vises.... Need to address entry level also.

Not enough Regal coverage - blasphemy

Zero Thompson reviews???? Not even the 360....

Interesting compare for the Renzetti travelers...

I'm too biased & opinionated, Russ, to fairly assess vises. The majority of the vises I have collected are vintage (some antique) - not a lot of help in determining in what to invest in. Fun to look at.

hookup

I almost bought a Renzetti Traveler ... when the seller heard what I wanted it for, she said this is not the vice for me. She luved it for small flies, but wanted something more versatile. I agree with everything the reviewers say about the Traveler.

Guess vices are like everything else. Excel in one category, deficit in another. Just like potatoes chips, you can't have just one.

Pup

I read the reviews for the Griffin Odyssey Spider Vise. Be careful there as 'who knows what?' is winding up under pros and cons with a defaulted rating of one star. Those 'reviews' drag the vise's overall rating score way down.

Would really like to read in-depth reviews from those that put their vises through the paces (i.e. maybe use them for holding something other than hooks, like materials or homemade adapters for tying purposes). All of my vises seem to hold hooks well for their intended hook size ranges. I use mine to hold body materials and needles (adapters), as well, in order to create interesting, to me (and the fish maybe?), jigs and hybrid baits.

My review of a 'good vise' would likely be very different from those of conventional tyers.

hookup

I have an Anvil Anchor ...

Use it mostly to tie from 1/0 to 4/0 jigs for bass & stripers. Takes a bit of practice to adjust the jaws just right, but once you got the touch, I give it a 10. If you have no patience to learn how to adjust the tension on the jaws, I'd give it a lower score.

I've tied on many vices, and the Anvil's built like a tank with the options of a VW beetle.

BucktailJiger

I myself have to say Regal . Have 2 I tie on , the Stainless and the Big Game . Started with the stainless head and added the Big Game . Simplicity , superior hook holding and quality craftsmanship . You have a nice platform to rest your hand on while holding materials and the 360 rotation for blind side viewing . Tying large jigs 1/2oz up to 1oz and the large ought hooks the Big Game head is awesome , don't have to worry about the jig nose diving while tying .
I have tried a lot of differant vises and found the Regal to be my choice of vise's . It comes down to individual choice , it's YOUR vise .

JUNGLEJIM1

On my Renzetti Traveler I've tied as small as #16 and as large as a 4/0 on it. I think a lot depends on the thickness of the hook wire diameter. I generally use hooks that are rated as medium wire or lighter. Barlow's catalog actually gives wire diameter and what it's considered. Light, medium and heavy wire. Been a big help to me when it comes to buying hooks.

Back