Which vise?

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
This question comes up a lot - going to pin this thread to the top so we can add what we like and why.

Here is an excellent link:
Fly Tying Vise Shoot Out
It has very good information and also a selection of vises in different price ranges. Very helpful.

Another good rating and review:
Hatches Magazine Product Review: Fly Tying Vises
(This link is mentioned later in this thread, so i added it here as well.)

I have tied on only a few different vises and learned that you do not need an expensive vise to turn out quality work..... but a decent vise makes tying quality jigs/flies easier and more enjoyable. I have tied several jigs/flies by simply locking a hook into a pair of vise grips and holding the pliers while i tied. It is awkward, but is possible. My first vise was pretty much two shaped pieces of metal that used a thumb screw to tighten them against each other and a clamp to attach to a table at the other end. Simple and straight forward and that was what vise got me hooked into tying.

I upgraded (as a gift to me) to a cheap non-rotary 'Fly Kit' vise from there and it did not take me long to ruin the jaws of that one. It was designed for holding tiny hooks and my larger smallmouth fly and jig hooks put it through hell and back in no time.

Now i tie on a full rotary Odyssey Cam Vise and love it!!! Would never go back to non-rotary even though it is not absolutely necessary, it just makes it a whole lot easier. Have to find what works for what you want to tie. The Odyssey Cam holds every hook size i need and just feels comfortable for me to tie on. It has the jaws set at an angle rather than sitting straight horizontal... but that comes down to your own personal preference and how it feels. You can adjust the cam to hold just about any size hook then lock it in and tie.

I've never tied on an 'expensive' vise so have no comparison there. Hopefully others can add to this and let us all know what vise they like and why.

smalljaw

I tied for years on one of those cheap AA vises and then the jaws broke just like Attica had experienced but when it happened I was working long hours so I put getting a new one on the back burner for awhile. Well I never got the chance to get a good vise and that was due to some setbacks, to make a long story short I was sick, got diagnosed with cancer and so between fighting the disease and the government I went for 4 long years without tying. Then one day I found a cheap vise that could hold bigger hooks and for 20 bucks I got it and started tying again making bucktails and rebbit jigs again and that is when I found "jigcraft.com... This site has really helped me improve as a tier, I learned how to use other materials and I learned new techniques and I was expanding so much that I needed to upgrade my vise and while I didn't get a "great vise" I got what I consider a great vise and it is the Odyssey Spider Vise and I love it, it never slips my hooks and the rotary feature is something that I will have to have for good, so if this vise goes my next one will be a rotary vise also.

Fatman

That was a good article - I was lucky when I took my fly tying class I got to try a bunch of them. I started out with the Worth Jig Tying kit that had two cheap bars and a screw, wonder I kept tying!!

I was given a Herter's #9 vise and it worked good but the back adjustment knob was cracked and then a classic Thompson Model A which still works great!!
Herters9andthompsonmodela2.jpg

After finishing my class I decided to buy a brand new vise - The shop I went to was having a sale and at the time even with sale didn't want to spend $275 dollars for a vise (although the Dyna-King barracuda is nice). I went with the Dyna-King Kingfisher and I use the pedestal base from the Thompson with it.
100_1053.jpg

I'm kinda kicking myself as I had a chance to get a brand new Peak rotary for $100 bucks. But I tie just fine and a $100 would buy lots of hooks and materials.

The ability to try hands on tying with different vices is really important, it gives you a chance to see how your hands feel while tying on it, if your not comfortable tying on it, it takes away the enjoyment. If you don't have a shop nearby find a local fly tying group and explain that your trying to find a new vice and many times they'll let you try them out.

Shoemoo

I usually tie jigs on hooks from size 12 to 1/0. Most of my jigs are sizes 6-1. I tie on a Danvise, and I couldn't be happier. It gets a lot of crap for being mostly made of plastic, but all the parts that count are metal. It's a rotary, the jaws have lots of holding power, it's easy to adjust and a pleasure to tie on. As long as you take care to adjust the jaws properly, it will last a long time. I've tied hundreds of jigs on it, and the jaws still look like new.

ridgeliner

I bought a kit when I started tying. Used that vise for a couple years. Started looking for a rotary vise. It took awhile but I bought a Dyna- King Barracuda. Actually my daughters helped me in getting it for a Christmas present. That was 7-8 years ago. I've been very happy with it. I've tied many flies and jigs with it..........no problems.

I help teach fly tying classes. We meet once a week. I really didn't like taking the Barracuda with me every week. I had a chance to get a Regal Medallion. That is also a great vise. At home I use the Barracuda most of the time......I like the rotary feature.

I agree that you should try a vise before you buy it. I tried a couple popular and well made vises before I bought the Barracuda. They just didn't feel right. I would never have been happy with them. I read one time that picking a vise is like picking your mate.....you have to find the right one.

Jig Man

Well lets see, I’m not that good with the time line stuff but I started tying a short couple years ago. Like so many others I was given advice and have passed the same on to others to contact Crazy Angler and he will take care of me. And he has been ever since, just got an order in from him today… They said to purchase a basic vise and make sure it is not a passing fade. Then if you stick with it up-grade.

After tying on the AA for a while and my abilities continued to improve, thanks’ in a huge part to the people here on Jig Craft, I found myself wanting to see the back side of my jigs. I spent a good bit of time researching and asking a bunch of questions. The article posted here was read and re-read several times. I even watched the entire fly tying pod casts and before Christmas last year I decided it was time to up-grade to a full rotary.

My advice to those considering an up-grade is to try and sit behind as many as you can. See which one fits you best, and buy the best you can afford, you will not regret it. My thinking on it is unless you make a business of it, a good vise will be the last one you need to buy. The more expensive vises I sat behind were very nice and had features that I would probably never use, but with kids in college I just couldn’t pull it off.

To say I settled really wouldn’t be accurate. The Peak does everything I need it to do. It comes with an outstanding warranty, is made here in the US, and the folks in Colorado are really great to work with. Lots of cool accessories, easy to operate, and the jaws hold like a pit-bull. And more than likely I will still be tying on it when the grandkids want to go fishing. Every time I walk in to a fly shop I still have to look at and compare, and so far I say yea a six hundred dollar vise would be nice, but my ole gal at home is all I need.

Radtexan

Started on an economy vice,and swear I still miss it sometimes..

Like Shoe,my first upgrade was a Danvise several years ago,and havent regretted it once.Thought I really wanted to get into all the rotary stuff,and could with this one,but I really dont use it for jigs..It does all I need,and like an old friend,might could be blindfolded and still load a head..I have had a couple minor breaks on it,but with the lifetime warranty,parts were just an email away...and well taken care of !!

AndyLane

I wish I had pictures of my first two homemade vises. ya'lled get a good laugh. My first one was just a pair of hemostats duck taped to a PVC pipe which was duck taped to my desk. My next one was one I made as well. I filed down the blades on a large set of toenail clippers and mounted it to a piece of wood mounted to my desk. I bent a large metal washer in a U shape so it would slide over the clipper handle and keep the pressure on the jaws. It actually worked pretty good. I decided to go ahead a buy one after I knew I liked tying. I went to the fly shop to buy one I had been looking at but they had sold the last one they had. Me not being patient and waiting for another to come in or shop around, and me being to cheap to fork over a little more money for a better one I bought one of the cheap AA Vises and bought some extra material instead. I mounted it to my desk and I knew after the first few jigs I tied that I didn't like it. It wasn't any better or any more versatile than my homemade contraptions were. I made an arm that can be turned and pulled towards you and out of the way of the desk if needed. I mounted the AA sideways so now I can loosen the knob and it can be rotated. I can see and work on any side of the jig. I still don't like it but it works.
View attachment 7

Of course I would love to have a Norvise View attachment 8 but i would also love to have a new boat and a new truck. None of which I will be buying anytime soon. I am going to buy a Peak vise as soon as I'm able. The price,quality,versatility and features seem just right to me.

Attachments

• IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 336
  • e5mgr3n5i80snhyuexes.jpeg
    e5mgr3n5i80snhyuexes.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 331

Fatman

Only problem I have with the Norvise is for that the thing costs it should come with a base or table clamp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

StumpHunter

I started out tying on a Terra Rotary Vice, the only complaint I had was the handle to turn the vice so I welded a Allen Wrench to the short handle and it gave me a 90 degree handle to turn the vice. I still use this vice while camping and it stays in the camper ready for use.
I was wanting to buy a nicer vice and was trying to decide between the Peak and the Anvil Atlas. After reading and looking at how the two vices were made I bought the Atlas and have enjoyed it very much. But I didn't like the handle on this vice either because of no 90 degree handle so I drilled out the bottom of the handle and built a extension and it is now a awesome vice to tie on.
Last year I had a chance to buy a Peak so I did. I wanted to see how it was to tie on since so many tie on this vice. I used it for two weeks but I liked the Atlas vice better so I sold the Peak to Salty. I believe he like the Peak vice, maybe he will give a feed back on the Peak. By the way, I did buy the extension for the Peak handle also :) Guess I have a pet peeve about vice handles....

papaperch

My very first vise was a Regal. Prior to that all my vises were homemade contraptions. The first Regal had a stationary head but with their unique jaws. That is no adjustments needed. Just stick in your hook and let go of lever. I tied 1000's of jigs on that old vise. About 6 or 7 years ago I noticed a Regal rotary on Ebay that nobody was bidding on and picked it up super cheap. I remember the auction ended during the Super Bowl that year and might have helped me as nobody snipe bidded on me.

In its six or seven years of service I have absolutely no complaints. If the original jaws ever wear out I would replace with the stainless set.

A few members on here have asked me for a recommendation on vise. I have always suggested the Regal and so far they are just as happy with theirs as I am with mine.

smalljaw

Shoemoo said:
I usually tie jigs on hooks from size 12 to 1/0. Most of my jigs are sizes 6-1. I tie on a Danvise, and I couldn't be happier. It gets a lot of crap for being mostly made of plastic, but all the parts that count are metal. It's a rotary, the jaws have lots of holding power, it's easy to adjust and a pleasure to tie on. As long as you take care to adjust the jaws properly, it will last a long time. I've tied hundreds of jigs on it, and the jaws still look like new.

Shoemoo, when I was ready to upgrade the Danvise is what I was going to get and I did the reasearch and found that most really like it and I had it narrowed down to the Griffin Odyessy or the Danvise and so I went to Cabelas to check them out and the only reason I got the Griffin was because the Danvise was mostly plastic and the Griffin was mostly metal and even though both have lifetime warranties I went with the Griffin but I think no matter which I chose I would have been happy since it is a world away from what I was using before.

Pup

I agree with AF that the key to any vise selection should be the answer to the question, "What am I going to tie with it?".

I use a vise to hold more than hooks. Often, I use it to hold body materials. I own three vises. Included are:
  • A Griffin Superior 3ARP
  • A Dyna-King Barracuda
  • An old rotating Regal prototype, hybrid (mutt), or clone
Of the three, I use the Griffin the most. Its jaws are the most versatile. They hold hooks and body materials pretty well and without damage.

The Dyna-King holds the widest range of hook sizes superbly, especially big hooks. It's a very well-built vise. However, it's pretty useless for holding body materials without damaging them and long materials are a no-no. It's a very expensive vise too.

I wish that I tied on the Regal more. It's a pretty cool style of vise that holds hooks well without any adjustment. However, it's really worthless for holding anything other than hooks as you cannot adjust its vise jaws beyond what a squeeze of its lever provides.

Generally, I believe that I could get away with 240-270 degrees of rotation and still be happy with a vise. Though, there are times when I'll rotate a vise through 360 degrees while wrapping chenille around a hook.

My Griffin has the best jaw design for holding both hooks and materials of the three I've mentioned. Also, it functions as a true rotary vise (360 degrees inline) when its jaws are set up horizontally. That's 100 percent of the time for me.

Lost Pole

Have the same vise as Andy.
View attachment 9

Actually on my second one.
It holds lots of things. If you take them out n turn em around it holds'em in a diff way. :).
Gon get me one of them high dollar dudes come income tax time. :p

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359771154.209766.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359771154.209766.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 183

JUNGLEJIM1

I own three vises,a Renzetti traveler pedestal mount with regular jaws,Renzetti Traveler pedestal same as the first and a Renzetti Traveler with cam jaws that I've never used yet along with a spare set of jaws in case I need them. First one was bought in 1998 and is still being used by a friend of mine. I did have a Dyna King Voyager II that I tyed maybe a dozen jigs or so with but after using a Renzetti for years it just felt "different" so it sat in the closet for a few years before I sold it on ebay. First vise was a Cabela's staionary vise that I used in the early years. Full rotary is the way to go,no matter what brand and there are a lot of great vises out there. I believe that I won't buy another vise,at least for me. I'm very happy with my Renzetti's.

LedHed

Sponsor
Started with an import, got a Regal Inex and modified it to rotate. Got the Regal rotary head and had a machinist friend make a custom stem and base. Been hooked on Regals since.

1) made in America
2) don't have to make any adjustments for hook size
3) hooks don't slip

Have tried a few other vises but always came back to the Regal. Do not like the cost and that you have to buy another head to tye 2/0 and larger. The stainless steel head is awesome!

blt

I have an Anvil Apex for 4 years now. Has held anything from #12 to 8/0 hooks. Cam starting to go bad now and not staying locked in position at times, but this is after probably 10,000 jigs and teaser hooks since I bought it.
I'm going to be looking again myself here in the near future, and am not sure what to get. I want something for #8 to 1/0 hooks, leave my Anvil for the bigger hooks.
I had zero issues with the Anvil for these years, and never regretted buying it. If you want a true inline rotary, this isn't it.

Pop

I just purchased a Regal with a heavy pedistal. Very impressed with its holding power. Was using a Griffin and got tired of having to adjust it all the time and the adjusting knob kept stripping and I have been having to use a hex wrench while waiting for Griffin to send me a new knob. Pop

Back