Storing Powder Paint

Kdog

Question about storing Powder Paint. Since joinng this site, I have accumulated a lot of powder paint and have heard mixed opinions regarding storage and shelf life. A couple custom PC companies I've dealt with have told me keep it dry and cool and no issues.

After filling one of my fluid bed cups, I double bag the powder and store it in a plastic tote below my workbench and thus far no problems. My powder cups get sealed with a lid and get shelved for ready access and again no problems so I must be doing something right.

But, I am still looking for a better way to store my powders. How do y'all store your bulk powder?

hookup

Easy for me, don't buy bulk. Store in 2oz bottles & custom mixes get's stored in 35mm file canisters

toadfrog

Heavy zip bags then poly bag and tie. Then keep all types paint in an old fridge at 36 to 40 degrees. Saves me a lot of heart ache .

plateboater

Doing the same thing you are doing Kdog.....no problems. Still use the 35MMcases! Handy for all kinds of tasks

LedHed

Sponsor
Out here humidity is not a problem - store paint in p-cups, old mayonnaise & jelly jars, plastic bags. Recycle my 2oz cups.

Remember the aluminum 35mm canisters...

Kdog

So far, I've not seen a humidity based problem, Keep mine in the basement. Run a dehumidifier spring thru fall. Did have some clumping with HF white, but fixed that with an old spice grinder (also seemed to make it more flowable). Yes, I remember the aluminum 35mm canisters but they are too small for storing a half pound of powder. Wish I had saved a bunch when I was buring thru film all the time. Todays prices are amazing http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-mixed-Vin...sters-Empty-1-Leather-broke-zip-/201332175931

Found a modern version - decent price for samll amount storage http://www.amazon.com/Film-Canister...29712153&sr=8-2&keywords=35+mm+film+canisters

hookup

I wish I could get some aluminum 35 mm canisters, but the plastic ones I get for a quarter a piece at the local camera store.

My buddies a smoker and uses them as ashtrays so whenever I see him I pick up a dozen for him.

Back