Powder paint tungsten flippin' weights?

AllenOK

One of my projects I've been working off-and-on is a custom inline spinner, and using tungsten flippin' weights instead of the usual brass beads.  Denser, better casting range, etc.  Originally I was wanting something heavy enough to throw with my surf rod back in OK, but now that I'm up here in MI, they have a weight limit on lures used "in streams" of 1 oz.  So, I'm thinking 3/4 oz weights, with the other stuff, should do.

I've found a source for the weights online.  I was thinking I would order some unpainted, and powder paint them to my desire.

Now comes the fun part.  How the heck am I going to heat them, and them dip them into the powder?  Piece of wire through the hole, hold it over my lamp, then dip/roll in the powder?  How about final curing?  Make a plank with some dowel rods, and shove the sinker down onto the dowel?

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I have painted hematite beads in the past using a cut piece of 8"-10" or so steel leader. Just threaded the bead on the leader and when you bend the leader so the ends are held in one hand, they stayed put enough to heat them and tap coat with powder. I was doing a solid color and than adding a glitter top coat. Had to hold them till they cooled down enough to handle. For curing, i broke out a box of cheap aberdeen hooks and bent the eye end of the shank over enough that i could hang that end from my toaster oven rack. Just set the bead on the hook point then hang it from the eye bend you made. If you have a thick base coat of paint. you may have to sand off a tiny little bit of cured paint that will get stuck to the aberdeen hook. Would think it should work not much different for the tungsten weights.

AllenOK

Well, I watched a couple videos on youtube. One guy was using what looked like a screwdriver with a 90-degree bend at the tip. Another guy was using a paperclip that he had straightened out somewhat and bent it to hold the weight nose-up, and still be able to hang it in his oven.

Back