Mustads - "Made in China"

Hawnjigs

KISS
Its official, as stated on their newer 1,000 boxes. Just got my first two boxes of the new 32786...and sent em back.

I knew something was changing when a coupla years ago I got an incredibly bad batch of 32729. Just uncomfirmed rumors of a China factory switch back then, boxes had no country of mfg.

Anyone else notice a difference in quality with the Chinese Mustads, especially Ultra Point?

Fatman

Hawn

They must have switched to a cheaper factory. I bought 8 thousand jig hooks from Capt Hooks a year ago that are marked Made in China and have not had a problem with any of them.

Now I don't know about the Ultra Sharp because I don't have any.

With your comments I'm seriously thinking of switching back to the VMC's or Eagle Claws which I haven't had any problems with either, I know people love gammis but for crappie jigs I just can't see the cost.

Fatman

Hawnjigs

KISS
OK, waited over a year to re-order 32786 after quality control issues forced me to return previous. New boxes still state "Made in China". But, I'm pleased to say that 2/0, 3/0, and 4/0 all APPEAR to be acceptable. Points are finger tip sharp, wire strength is finger test strong, and shape is consistently correct. Box of 32833 #4 was older stock and acceptable.

Thank goodness because unlike most I did not like the new Eagle Claw clones.

Looks like "Ultra Point" is passe - none of the boxes are labeled as such and the newer style "Opti Angle" hooks have a longer straighter point taper than UP.

If anyone is using newer mfg. Mustad jig hooks, how are they ?

Fatman

Hawn - That isn't a problem Posting again!! I hadn't bought any since I bought the first batch, and I still think they put old stock in new box's. Glad to hear the newer ones are working for you!!!

I've bought some of the new fly tying hooks since the change and they went back!!! They just don't match up, luckily I found an auction mis-marked on ebay for old stock and bought 2000 of size 10 and 12 in the 3906B style (wet fly hook). Kept 1000 of each and sold off the rest in lots of 100 - paid for the auction and made some extra.

You'd think the old stock mustads were made of gold for people are trying to get for them!!!!!!!!

quivira kid

Doug, if you want to unload any more of those 3906B's, let me know!

I bought some 3906's from AK Best here a year or two ago.... paper boxes, made in Sweden. Wet flies get tied on them, and nothing else. The quality and shape are unmatched.

On the fly hook side, I have been VERY impressed with the new Eagle Claw hooks, especially for the price!

Fatman

Zac - how long has it been since you saw Mustad box's that say Auburn, NY
100_3393.jpg

100_3391.jpg

Here's some hooks I got from a guy on the Fly Tying Forum - there was a hugh lot of hooks on a taxidermy site that included Mustad's, Allcocks, Galiec. Went for $400 dollars. Before I bought these from him we checked them out and they turned out to be Eagle Claw fly hooks that would have gone to fly shops for repackage. They were shipped in 1981
#12 Dry fly
DryFlysize12.jpg

#10 Wet fly
WetsSize10.jpg

smalljaw

I'm different, the new EC Blac Platinum hooks have been great, much better quality than the chinese mustads I got. It broke my heart when I got my 4/0 32786 ultra points last spring, they weren't bad out of the box but fishing was a different story. The one think that I loved about the mustad ultra point was that unlike Owner or Gamakatsu, the points on the Mustads didn't fold over when you hit a rock or a snag and neither did the new mustads, nope they just flat out broke! 3 jigs, 3 small snags, 3 broken hook points, I'm done. The EC Black Platinum may not look like much in the smaller sizes but the larger sizes have been awesome for me, I gave a long time friend and customer a free jig made with a 3/0 EC EL111BP EWG jig hook, there are the laser sharp black blatinum hooks and he loved it and wanted all his jig made with that hook. The only thing was he only wanted Gamakatsu hooks in his jigs and I got him to fish the jig with the EC by telling him it was a new style Gammy, he was mad after I told him he was fooled but he thanked me as I saved him 40 cents a jig. Now, the laser sharp hooks are super sharp, Gammys are a bit sharper due to their cutting point, the same as Owner but for pure penetration the EC hook is strong and does a great job, I have a lot of anglers using them now as they all told me they love saving money but it is because they haven't had any problems with lost fish or broken hooks. I tell you this because out of the box my mustads were still goob but on the water they didn't measure up to what I was used to and the BP series from EC have made me real happy, in fact I just ordered another thousand EL111BP jig hooks as I have about 100 or so customers thant now request that hook on their tournament jigs.

Fatman

SJ - talking to Cadman over at TU and reading all the comments on the new hooks people are going back to EC for not only jig hooks but now fly tying hooks.

Hawnjigs

KISS
That is bad news about the brittle 32786. Just temper tested my new 2/0, 3/0, and 4/0 32786 by bending out the eye leg-shank junction a bit and none snapped, so I GUESS they're OK. But, like you say SJ can't definitely tell till the hooks are fished.

Yup, its annoying to have to straighten needle points after snags. Its really annoying to forget to straighten & miss hooksets!

Fatman

Hawn - I didn't buy the batch a guy over at Fly Tying forum did. I bought 4000 hooks for $22, and I donated 2000 of them to my wifes school for their kids fishing club. If I'd had the cash I would have though!!!

smalljaw

Hawn, I did the same with mine, everything out of the box seemed fine until I got snagged on a limb, I brough the jig back and when I looked at it I was shocked, the point was folded and not inward but out and not a little bit, it was enough that I couldn't use the file, I had to take my pliers and when I did that the point broke and that is it for me. Now the EC new BP series have been really good, almost 2 complete season and no problems reported and better still is I have some guys I make shaky heads for that are now asking for the EC hooks, so that makes me feel a lot better and my own personal stuff has been really good so I'll stick with them because I not only save a ton of money but I'm getting the same, if not better, performance out of them than the chinese mustads.

redman

Interesting thread!!! I remember when Mustad was the best Iron out there. They would bend but never break. Sad that they have had to go to China. But there are very few who don't have product made in China. I used a lot of VMC hooks when I first got in to the crappie jig tying. I always thought that they made a good hook it is just that the Sickles seem so much better hook for my needs and style of fishing. And they are made in..................CHINA!!!!!!!

Redman

smalljaw

Not everything made in china is bad, most companies have their own QC, but the sickle hooks are a perfect example, I've wanted try them but everytime I order I have so many bad ones and Capt. hooks sent me an email say the problem is so wide spread that they no longer accept returns or give refunds on the sickle hooks. They are a good hook but terrible quality control, the same thing about rods, I've seen rods made in china that looked like a child put it together and then you see rods like the new Fenwick rods, like them or not the build quality is good. The biggest problem occurs when companies that go to china begin to use the chinese materials, that is the problem with china. Any good rod manufactuer has their own supplier of graphite pre peg and scrim and it is sent to china strictly for the cheap labor, the problem with Mustad is they now have a plant in china using chinese wire for their hooks and it shows as there seem to be tempering differences as well as diamerter differences. I don't like all the chinese stuff but there is so much it is hard to avoid but I can tell you some of it is ok and some of it is junk and the new mustads have been bad for me on the water so I don't think I'm going to use them anymore.

Fatman

My first batch of "China" made Mustads were actually very good and I haven't had a problem with them, maybe I just got lucky with them. As I said before even if I bought Sickles from Capt Hook all bad ones got sent back to Matzuo, and they don't like getting them!!

May go back to VMC's I do like the looks of their new Black Nickle, but I have to order some of the new EC's and try them.

Sent an email to Owner hooks about small jig hooks and NEVER got an answer back.

hookup

Wow.

I'm not happy with the latest owner batch. The black nickle rusted first time out.

Gammies still holding up nicely.

Matzuos too, no rust. I toss an average of 10% out.

Haven't bought Mustads for a while, but that sux to. I like the 91768 and haven't really found anything like it in the market place well, aside from trokar's and they'll break the bank.

Back