Mustads - "Made in China"

smalljaw

That is funny you mention that hookup, I love the 5304 deep throat jig hooks from Owner and latley there have been a lot of complaints of them breaking and Northstar custom baits was using that hook on their signature jigs and they stopped using them too, I'm wondering if Owner is taking their stuff out of Japan and going to china? It makes me wonder. BTW, I really like the Mustad 91768 EWG hook myself and I still use them as there isn't a 28 or 30 degree hook that has the extra wide gap, it has been fantastic in the 1/0 size for my finesse jigs but it is a litght ware hook that doesn't get tossed into heavy cover but as soon as I find an alternative I'll go to it.

hookup

At first, I got into making these snagless jigs because I wanted a hook thinner in diameter than the Mustad 91768 EWG hook. I mic'd both the Owner Senko & the mustard, and the owner was thinner - not by much, but the little is all I cared about. I wasn't price sensitive because it was for my fishing.

But the more time passes, the more I like the 91768.

I use both the Owner & Mustard1/0 and the rust is starting to be a problem.

Also, I fish from a yak, so that doesn't help. Everything gets wet - but the black nickle coating on Mustard (and Gammies) has prevented the rust.

Gamakatsu has a 28d bend hook, but it's thick as a 10 penny nail.

http://www.gamakatsu.com/fishing-hooks.php?pid=1158

Fatman

Seems alot of hook makers are getting complaints about their hooks. For Mustad you can contact Jeff Pierce at [email protected] attn: to Jeff. He is the North American Sales Coordinator for O. Mustad & Son (USA), Inc. and Partridge

cadman

I'm going to tell you guys that Smalljaw and I pretty much fish similar styles and hooks. We both use the Snootie jig religiously, both now are slowly switching over to the new Eagle Claw hooks and we both love the Owner 5304. I too was a diehard Mustad fan. You wouldn't see me using any other hook. For the money Mustad had the best hooks out there. Then I was turned on to Owner 5304 deep throat hooks. This is my new love, and although they are pricey, they are just plain sharp, and when you stick a fish she is as good as in the boat. Now I don't fish smaller hooks, so I can't comment on Mustads other hooks, but their bass jig hooks were the best of the best, until they decided to move their facility. At about the same time all this was going on Eagle Claw already brought out their Trokar hooks, which really put them back into the ball game. Then they re-tooled all of their bronze hook to black platinum for the sake of rust issues. I still have a lot of Mustad older hooks, however from the hooks I've used from Eagle Claw, they are dead sharp from the box and very little if any bad hooks. Also I like the fact that they are still made in the states. I will use their hooks not only to support them, but they finally got their game back, and I believe they will be the new leader in the hook industry for many molds. Eagle Claw is also working with Do-It on making some new molds with the Trokar hook line. So with that said, if you haven't tried the Eagle Claw black platinum hooks, give them a try and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I'm not saying that I know it all but check them out. JMO

Fatman

Cad

I've been reading your comments on the new EC bp hooks over on TU, and some of the folks here have tried them and since I'm being bugged for a xmas list I will be getting some of the smaller ones

Back