mustad 32889 2x fine wire jighook

redear

just recieved a 2nd box of these hooks from jasons tackle, he may be about out of them now. I hope to try these out this weekend, need to ladle pour a couple heads and tie them up in kiptail. I wish I had used eagle claws version of this type hook that way I could give my opinion of which one I think is better, but I never have had any of the eagle claw 1350's , I will say though that for me to go and buy another 1000 without even trying them first, yeah I am impressed with the quality and sharpness, especially for the price.

redear

yesterday I poured about 30 heads with this hook using a palmer hotpot and a small ladle just to do a few, and today I tied up around 10 calftail jigs in case I decide to try to fish, gonna be hard though as I bruised my ribs the other day and can't see carrying 2 trolling motor batteries to the boat at this point. the hooks poured well and they tied well in the vise, just really happy with them and need to put them through the paces now. the size 4 is perfect for anything in the 1/32, 1/24 and 1/16 range, I poured all of those and even a 3/32 redman head. I think the 4 would work on a 1/8 also. showed one of the hooks to a buddy today and I could tell he was impressed with the quality and sharpness and the ability to bend them out, especially with the 8lb. test he uses alot.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Redear I'm confident the two are very similar. When using wire this thin you can count on sharp hooks! The way I see it both have an upside. The mustards are a lil cheaper. But the EC does go a size bigger.

redear

Ron Don, I think these mustads come on 2's also, today I tied up some more jigs on them and it seemed every time I turned around they were sticking me, lol. they are sharp for sure, have not fished them yet but i'm excited about them. wish some more outfits would carry them, kinda hard to find.

redear

I have poured over 100 of these hooks so far and haven't found a bad one yet, been pouring 1/24 flattened redman heads in a two cavity mold and tying them up with kiptail.they are a little loose in the mold so I am loading the hooks then after closing the mold I tap the mold on a table a certain way to make sure they are situated correctly every time with the lead head, works like a charm. the weather report shows temps in the 75 degree range for the next week and the dogwoods are blooming so this may finally be fishing weather.

redear

plateboater, I don't know how to post a pic with this phone I got now but there is an extremely good pic of the hook laying next to a 570, just google the mustad 32889 2x lite crappie jighook and you will find an ad for ebay, this is jasons tackle selling them and he shows a very good pic, it's just 2 hooks lying side by side, very good comparison, I got a notion to order another box I see he has a few more boxes in stock.

redear

yeah, I always wanted to get some of the eagle claw hooks that simmons sells but always heard they were pretty expensive, I'm exited that mustad put their version out in a quality offering and at a very reasonal price. they are bronze which I know is gonna rust after using one day but they are going in my arsenal, there is a place in my box for a hook that will let me fish around brush with more confidence. I really wanted to take them fishing last weekend and give a report but it didn't work out, with the weather and me doing something to my ribs on the left side, hurts pretty bad when I move around.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
I got informed yesterday about mustad coming out with another light wire crappie hook next year. Will be great for long lining!

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
PB. The EC is only a half cent more per hook which ain't bad to be made in the USA. They have more sizes too.

redear

ron don, yeah your right 1/2 cent a hook more isn't bad at all, I need to get some of those also if thats the case.

redear

I got out for a little pond fishing this afternoon and the bite was tough with only about a dozen fish caught. was using tied calftail jigs with crappie nibbles and they didn't do much until I put on a flash jig tied with gold and silver kreinik material, this was also used with nibbles and a float. these jigs were tied on the new extra lite wire mustad jighook, and they lived up to my expectations for sure. they were very good about hooking up and also penetrating clear thru many fishes mouths and protruding out the top of their noses. was using 4 pound line and a b&m ultimate rod in 8 foot length, I bent the hook points upwards a little like always for easier hookup, not sure this was needed as you cant hardly tie one of these things on without getting stuck, lol. I even hung up one time and pulled the jig free with the 4lb line, the hook was slightly opened up, and I felt like the line was close to breaking when it came free so 6 pound would definitely do it. I;m very happy with these hooks , they just penetrate very well, another thing was that the nibbles go on the hook effortlessly with no damage to them due to the thin hook,

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
I got some samples of these hooks today. I did some comparing with the EC light wires. Redear believe it or not these mustads are made from a heavier gauge wire than the ECs. Its just a smidge. I will post a pic tomorrow.

redear

there is a guy that I make kiptail jigs for and he uses them spider rigging for crappies, he puts a minnow on the hook also. this guy catches more crappies over 2 pounds than anyone else I know, and when I bumped into him the other day I told him about the extra lite wire hooks and how sharp they were he got all excited and proclaimed that that is exactly what he has been wanting in his jighooks. so he tells me to make him a few dozen to try, lol. he will definitely be a good field tester. I told him about the size 2's which I thought he would jump all over it but he wants the 4's, this guy was a fan of the original pinky jig which had a size 6.

redear

I have been pouring some more of these hooks on my heads, mainly a 1/24 flattened head for kiptails, probably poured a couple hundred already and haven't found any missformed or bad hooks, I found one with the gap opened up slightly which is what I do to them anyway. All of them have been very sharp too. I have been tying up some kiptail threadneck jigs on these and stocking the box. I tied up 24 with purple hair and a yellow chart. head on a 1/16 head for a great crappie fisherman and the paint is curing now. He is excited about the lite wire too and says he has been wanting a hook like this, so we will see. I think he is tired of losing alot of jigs, people like him who spider rig alot tend to not want to spend alot of time getting one unhung so they will back up and pull hard, the line either breaks or it pulls free, this should help him out.

plateboater

Redear....still purchasing from same guy posted earlier or where would you suggest to purchase. Time to play your peer pressure is to much!

Back