mustad 32889 2x fine wire jighook

redear

there has been some talk about this jighook comming back into production, just wondering if anyone here has gotten hold of any, and if so where do you get them from, also how are they sharpness and quality wise? do tell.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
I have not found the new mustad light wires. I saw a press release back in the summer. Were even coming out with them in minnow hooks which I'm interested in. Would have figured they'd be out by now.

redear

I ordered a 1000 size 4 of these jighooks from jasons jigs off of ebay this evening, I guess they are new production but not positive, price was 35.00 and free shipping. he showed a comparison photo with the hook lying next to a regular 570 ec, it was considerably thinner, also got a closeup view of one on a video, some kind of trade show footage, took a chance couldn't stand it, I'll let ya'll know what they are like when they get here.

plateboater

Redear....keep us posted please would like to order a 1000. Hawn....Do you to be a dealer to by off Shorty's correct?

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Ha not sure why I didn't see them in shortys! Been buying the eagle claw light wires from Simmons for $35. Im a big fan of these hooks. Can straighten them out about 75% of time with 6lb line. Never had a fish bend one though catching close to 3 lbers. Just wished they would make a 1/0.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Plate u need a tax # for shortys. You also have to add the 10% excise to their list price unless you are exempt so to speak.
Email captain hooks and see if they will sell them to you. That's shortys retail side and the price is not much more than shortys.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
CH would u want a thousand? I don't need any more jighooks in those sizes. I prefer the EC size 1. I will order the minnow hooks though to make minnow rigs. Also need some 2/0 sickles.

redear

Ron Don, I was under the impression the eagle claws from simmons were running around 10 bucks a 100, how recently have you bought the eagle claw extra lite wire from them? If I could get them for 35 from simmons I may have to try those too. plateboater, I have never bought from shorty's because I'm just a hobbiest. anyone check out the photo on jason's jigs of the hook comparison and the closeup on that one video? I love the sickle hook mind you, but there are situations where a hook like this may shine, have to waite and see what they are like, I just hope they are sharp or are easily touched up.

CrappieHappy

Kip, from Simmons they are 7.00 per hundred plus shipping and 35.00
Per 1k pus shipping. I have been pondering more of these as well.

Ronny told me about the mustad and they do look good. Let me know what u think
When u get em.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
CrappieHappy said:
Kip, from Simmons they are 7.00 per hundred plus shipping and 35.00
Per 1k pus shipping. I have been pondering more of these as well.

Ronny told me about the mustad and they do look good. Let me know what u think
When u get em.

Yep they are $35 per 1000. They will ship up to 2 boxes for $5. The size 1 isn't much bigger than the #2 but every lil bit counts in my book!

redear

Ok, the 2x lite wire mustad 32889's came today, and they are about as perfect as I can ask for! these are the size 4's and bought a 1000, they came in a nice little white box. I have taken 2 of them out of the box to examine, they are very lite wire and beautifully formed, the eyes were closed all the way just like we want to see, and the point is the old style curved sort of beaked on the end and they are very very sharp for this style of point, the barb is not a micro type barb like the matzuo but it's not huge either, everything is in proportion on the hook. the bend is perfectly round till it makes the turn towards the point, the finish is very nice, they are a medium to darker bronze color. although I have only had time to examine 2 of them, and hope to examine more for any possible defects tonite, so far these hooks look like everything I need in an extra lite wire jighook. just looking at them without holding them up against an ec 570, I think the shank may be a touch longer than a 570 but not positive yet, looks like there is a little more separation between the point and the eyelet making it easier for a fish to get hooked. I like the curved beaked point because when I bend the hook point upward just slightly like I normally do the point itself will still be pointed directly towards the eye, a straight point won't do this. I'll check a few more tonite and get back to ya'll.

redear

Ok, I have examined another 20 or so and they were all very sharp and all the same in every respect, I mean the 90 legs on these 20 were identicle, the eyes were all closed and they were just the same in every way. really want to get some size 2's but didn't see any 1000 boxes so will waite on that. Did just order another box of the 4's though. I showed one to a guy here at work that likes to crappie fish with jigs and the first thing he said after looking at it and feeling the sharpness was get me a box! and this guy loves a sickle hook, but there are places he fishes where he loses alot of jigs to brush and he can see an advantage with these hooks.

redear

sure thing guys, one thing I noticed when looking at one of these hooks is that they are about half as visible as a regular hook, that fine wire just makes it practically dissapear in front of you. I'm sure that they will be hardly noticable on a tied jig. heck I have to put reading glasses on just to really see it good, it's color may have something to do with that too. It should really shine in clear water situations.

Back