mold questions for redman

redear

I'll take a few photos, getting ready to go to the neurologist at the moment. I'm exited about how easy it is to shape the conical shaped head blanks with the right tools that is.

redear

wow, that was fast crappyhappy! guys, I just sent these pics to him a few minutes ago. thanks for doing that for me!!!! sorry for the double pic post. the top photo is the first mold I made with the flat head, pic three and four is the fly jig mold about 1/70oz. two cavities, last pic is the 1/70oz. roundhead on the left, it's the one I had a problem with getting too close to the cavity with the eyelet recess, the one on the right is the flathead mold and I made it with two threaded rods per handle using smaller 1/4" threaded rod, I did this because the brass pins are centered on the ends of the mold preventing the handle from being in the center, but I kinda like the brass pins in the center, instead of in the corners, might be my imagination but it seems like the pins find their respective holes easier. went to the neurologist this afternoon and they zapped me all over with electical zaps, to check my nerve damage in the legs and arms. then it was off to bass pro and gander mountain.

redear

o, the last two photos are jighead blanks, and the top photo is two redman style head blanks, about a 1/32 and a 1/24 just guessing here, and the last pic is two 1/16 or so oval pinky jig style head blanks, I had a custom mold cut for these a few years ago but it had a collar on it for tying the hair, I think I'll do it without a collar next time, just takes less hair without a collar.

JSC

Glad to see the Pixes ... Looking Good.
Getting those Zaps are tough .. at least for me .. Don't want any more of that.

Fatman

Great looking pics!!!!!!!!!! Looks like the handles came out better than you thought!!! and X3 can do without the impulse zaps they ain't fun!!!!!!!!!

So when you going into the mold making business LOL!!!

redear

yeah, I wasn,t really sure how I would do the handles, and was thinking about putting rubber hose over the bolts and threaded rods, but couldn,t get a good tight fit with the hose, and tried the maple wood, glad I did, really am satisfied with the way they look mand feel. I put some j. b. weld on the threads of the handles when I screwed them in, so they wouldn,t be apt to loosen up. three day break is over, going back to work this afternoon.

redear

been piddling around in the shop a little, cut a few more peices of aluminum for molds, and worked on a jighead blank for a 1/16 redman style head. wasn't really satisfied with the way it came out so will probably make another of those. cleaned up around the lathe too, it looked like a bomb went off over there. lol my little thing with buying drill bits just the right size so I wouldn't have to shave the brass pins down much, didn't work out, the resulting hole is still too big, so I'll have to drop down another size. I had drill bits 5 thousandths smaller than the brass pin rod, and the resulting hole was still too loose. sometimes I spend hours out there messing around and don't get anywhere it seems, then there are those times when it falls together like it's supposed to. I think what I'll do with the redman style head is take a tiny peice of very small drill bit just a little shorter than the head, and press that first, this will give me a perfect little canal shaped depression to lay the conical shaped jighead blank into for pressing.

Fatman

Glad to see you got out in the shop!!!!!!!!!! What didn't work out right on it??? Can;t wait to see some new stuff and also see some pours when you get a pot!!!!!!!!!!!!.

redear

fatman,
I was just trying to cut down on the amount of time and work it takes to properly fit the brass pins to the mold. Originally I was cutting down a 5/16" brass rod to 1/4" diameter, but had to leave it a little fat to get a good fit. the problem was after drilling a hole with a 1/4" drill bit, the 1/4" brass rod would just fall right thru the hole. I have 1/4" brass rod in the shop and no more 5/16" rod left. so what I'm trying to do is pick a drill bit that is smaller than the 1/4" rod I have so that I'll get a good fit without having to do alot of sanding on the brass rod. If a 1/4" drill bit gave a tight fit with the 1/4" brass rod, there would be no problem. maybe my drill press has a slight wobble causing a bigger hole, dunno. just takes figuring out what works best.

redear

I am really getting anxious about doing a redman jighead mold or two, every time I look at a photo of his heads or one of my blanks I am wanting it more and more. lol I have a 1/32, a 1/24, 1/16 and a 1/8 blank made in that design, and the 1/32 is just the cutest little jighead lookin thingy possible. lol I really think this design will make it easy to produce a horizontal hanging jig, due to alot of the weight being up front, which is what I like when fishing a jig under a bobber. and that 1/8 size, I bet it would drop like a depth charge when fishing deeper. wanted to get out in the shop this weekend and get after it but my sister is comming in from dallas and I only see her about every two years.

redear

well today I went and tried to press a 1/32 and 1/24 redman style head. Everything seemed to be going fine, altho a little tough with the hardness of the 6061 aluminum, then I realized that my jighead blanks were mashing or becoming flattened! this was drill bit steel! So it's looking like I'll have to get some softer alum. for these fatter heads. I saw some 2024 alum. online the other day and they called it structural alum. and said it had half the strength of the 6061, probably what redman refered to as the best he used. they had it in 1/2" thick and 1" thick , I prefer 3/4" thick as it seems just right, maybe able to find some 3/4" somewhere. I think if the jighead blanks had held up I may have been able to finish the press, hard to tell as it was getting hard.

redear

I could conceivably flip the mold around and still use it with maybe a small roundhead, and have the hoo bend lay where these abandoned head head cavities lay now. I new with the hardness of my aluminum that I'd hit the wall somewhere as I went up in head size, not to worry tho. that little idea I had about taking a small length of tiny drill bit and pressing that first to create a little canal shaped depression for the jighead blank to lay in, worked really good, and am sure thats the way to go with a conical shaped head.

Back