Looking for 99.9% pure lead.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
meltleadalot2693 said:
......and better than what most 19 year olds do today......

You got that right!!! We might talk you into spending all your money but our 'dark side' is at least legal. In most states anyway. ;) :jig:

meltleadalot2693

I play video games but I would rather melt lead. If the weather were so much a b!@#$ I would melt it every day. So I play games when it is raining or dark outside. I love melting lead as mentioned more than video games and even watching TV. Remember, let's meltleadalot.

meltleadalot2693

Here a new pic of some re melted pure lead. This is the kind of lead I want. It is tarnished slightly but pure as you can see. If you look at the ingots in the corner of the screen you can see the crystals on the dark colored ingots, these are pure. The shiny, grainy ones are WW.

View attachment 9

Attachments

• pure lead square.jpg
    pure lead square.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 52

Hawnjigs

KISS
I may be wrong, but shouldn't pure lead be more shiny? The hazy "tarnish" looks like trace antimony/tin content. Did you pour that ingot? If so, with what kind of lead?

meltleadalot2693

Yes I did. I poured my pure lead into that. It looks like that when I make small ingots. When I make big ones like the ones shown in the center left, they are a bluish gray color. The lead is pure because it is VERY SOFT. It is easily bendable. You scratch it and the scratch line is a bluish gray color. When I poured it a few weeks ago, it was as shiny as a polished mirror. You could see a partial reflection of yourself in it right after it was poured and cooled. It also has some cracks in the center. Here is another pic of the same block with the pure lead it was poured from. The lead is pure because of the colored layer on top.

View attachment 8

Attachments

• pure lead in a pan with pure lead square.jpg
    pure lead in a pan with pure lead square.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 69

Hawnjigs

KISS
Salty, I have to agree with MLAL - your pipe(?) lead looks like its tramped with frosty antimony & shiny tin. Compare your shallower center dimple and different surface appearance to CH's obviously very soft lead. I've been reading on forums that most consider pipe lead pure, but the pipe I've come across out here has been a bit on the hard side.

SaltyBuckster

Hawnjigs said:
Salty, I have to agree with MLAL - your pipe(?) lead looks like its tramped with frosty antimony & shiny tin. Compare your shallower center dimple and different surface appearance to CH's obviously very soft lead. I've been reading on forums that most consider pipe lead pure, but the pipe I've come across out here has been a bit on the hard side.
Most all of this lead was from 1" tubes that held copper electric wires.The other was the traps under the sinks and some lead fillings between cast iron pipe.There were also a couple of window things that raised and lowered to put the window blinds up and down.They weighed about 25 pounds each.This lead got mixed up while melting,the next melting session I'm going to keep them seperate to see if it makes a differance between what the finished product looks like.

Hawnjigs

KISS
OK, that explains the tramps in your lead, Salty. Electrical wire sheathing lead in my experience usually has an antimony component as a hardener - maybe to resist crushing? And the tin brightness may have come from solder used for seam joins or seals.

Back