Looking for 99.9% pure lead.

meltleadalot2693

I am looking for the lead that is so pure, when you melt it it makes a multicolored oxide layer and it is glassy smooth and very soft at current market price.

Fatman

x2 with Salty LOL. You could check with Roto Metals but you'd have to buy a good amount of it to keep the price down. Check your local scrap yards, muzzle loading groups, Civil War re-enactment groups.

meltleadalot2693

LedHed said:
How much are you looking for?

At least 200lbs. Would be happy for 50-75lbs at market price.I am willing to barter some gold rings for lead if it is too expensive for me. I would trade the gold for the same value of lead.

meltleadalot2693

Here is what pure soft lead looks like. It is a little dirty because of some spot of lead oxide on it, but you can see how it has many different colors and how shiny some of it is. This is the kind of lead I am looking for.

View attachment 4

View attachment 5

Attachments

• Pure lead.jpg
    Pure lead.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Other side of pure lead..jpg
    Other side of pure lead..jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 91

Fatman

x2 with Hawn never that good with scrap. The only really pure was 2 large slabs out of an old X-ray room and again when my local plumber came to fix something and I asked him about old lead water pipe. He asked if I made jigs, yeah so I traded 500 1/8th oz jigs for 500 lbs of pure lead water pipe.

Have constantly asked him to let me know if he gets more.

meltleadalot2693

I want to buy some pure lead from any of you for $0.45 per lb. I want at least 40 pounds. I will pay you $19.00 for 40lbs of pure or soft lead.

blt

Come on guys, never hurts to ask.

Meltalot...look for a plumber in the phone book, or a remodeling contractor. Call them and ask if they have or get lead pipe in the future from remodeling an old house...you would like the chance to buy the lead, or maybe pour some jigs for them. Find out what the going price is at the scrap yards in your area, and match that or add 10 cents and say you will pickup. Saves them the cost of paying an employee to take it to the scrap yard. Put add on craigslist in your area asking to buy and pick up the lead. There again, know the price of the scrap yards, offer a dime more a pound. It only means an extra buck for every 10 pounds, they make an extra buck, you get lead. I don't know how much effort you have put into it around your area like this, but I do it all the time, and ask people at work, Church, or even if I see a roofer/contractor at a minimart at the gas pumps, I will walk over and ask them. I've scored a lot of lead this way. People have it sitting around and are glad you get rid of the heavy "junk".

You may also want to drop your focus on 99.9% pure, not needed, and you narrow your window of opportunity. Hope this helps.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Since the industrial metals supply price of 99.9 is currently over $2 per lb., I agree with blt that getting a lower price would require some creative leg work and downgrading your standard to 99+ would include more types of soft scrap including roof flashing, construction sheet lead, and plumber's blocks.

My suggestion for best available bargain price source of 99+ is stick on wheel weights.

Fatman

Next time you go to the scrap yard that you've talked about, or pick up the phone and call them, ask them if they have any lead sheeting - old lead water pipe and if they do ask them to save you some. Is it going to cost more than tire weight YEP!! - I have been extremely lucky that I've NEVER!!!!!!! had to buy lead.

LedHed

Sponsor
mlal - you might also look up companies that deal with hazardous waste. Have a nephew who works for a company that deals with hazardous materials and when he comes across lead he saves it for me. I have been pouring since the mid 80s and have never bought lead – must be @ the right place @ the right time.

Fatman

Okay Melt I've GOT TO ASK THIS!!!!!!!!!! I see all your posts about lead and trying to find it and how they come out for you.

SO.... Do you fish with any of this stuff????? If you do post some pics bud!!!!!!

Back