Jig Swap # 35

Kdog

Fin and Fur, It makes sense. However, the stacker is not my quandry.  I am trying to come up with a solution to get the same amount of hair for each jig. What I am thinking is some slots in a piece of stock, cut the hair and layer into the slots then each little grouping should be the same amount.

Sort of like this
View attachment 3

Attachments

• sorter.jpg
    sorter.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 35

Fin and Fur

AHH got ya. What, you don't want to count out strands? Well then... slots would work. Or maybe some small diam. coffee straws, and put hair in butt first to measure.

hookup

Got ya covered Q

Now to make some mini hair stackers and a hair sorter/grouping device to keep each bundle the same size.

So that's what those things are for. I just take a pinch, trim, the tie.

Kdog

hookup said:
Got ya covered Q

Now to make some mini hair stackers and a hair sorter/grouping device to keep each bundle the same size.

So that's what those things are for.  I just take a pinch, trim, the tie.

Thats what I've done for a long time and it works. But, tie 25 or so, hang them all from a jig rack and you see variation which I do not think is a problem well at least the fish don't... but I try to make things exactly the same.. For me it is part of the addiction. Last spring, I tied on an orange black and brown jig and started slaying crappie and perch.  My buddy was getting frustrated and asked for one of them, he tied it on and nothing... He did manage to finally catch a couple crappie, but it was a 10:1 ratio.  We started looking and found the jig I was using was 1/4" - 5/16" shorter.  A quick trim and he was catching as many as I was. Go Figure.

Old time fly tiers always talked about matching the hatch. Whatever the fish were feeding on, the jig must ave looked right but only a certain size worked. Why, I have'nt a clue.  What were they feeding on? No clue, we were catch and release that day. Walleye bite had died and we just wanted to catch fish, so crappie and perch were on the agenda but no real size, lots of legal keepers but we like em about 2"-3" larger than legal size and we werent catching them. The samller sizes were readily avialable and very hungry. Good day fishing and catching....

Fin and Fur

Kdog, Another thought on sorter. I thought when you you said stock you ment card stock. An index card with a slot cut in it might save some time. If you slide it into patch of hair before you cut, then it's already laid out. You could even use the lines for length gauge.

Question for the group. Do you stack before you tie in bucktail or just tie it in?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

hookup

Tie in & roll

I tie a bucktail/silicon hair jig for small mouth in the mid-Atlantic piedmont rivers that's killah on small mouth bass and other bonus fish.  The bucktail's about as inconsistent as it get, but the jig hair gets trimmed about 1/4" above the bend of the hook. The bucktail keeps the silicon hair "fluffed out" while tickling the bottom of the river.

I will admit, this is not original - except for the chenille wrap on the shank of the hook for scent - a guy had a shop in SW VA and got robbed.  Left the buiz & we couldn't get his jigs.  That's one of the reason I started tying. 

Not perfect, but if you think of what the bass are eating, their dinners are not all symmetrical & uniform. 

IMGP0050.jpg

Fin and Fur

That a good use for bucktail. Seeing as how I was always thinking it just gets matted together and looks like a stick. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

hookup

Thx on the jig design - like I said I 'borrowed' the design adding a twist. Smallies really like it.

Can I join in, or is it too late?

Got you on the list Allen.

hookup

Saw that - now you can break in the desk tying for the swap

AllenOK

Yeah, except I already christened the desk today. Tied up a batch of Heterogenius Nymphs for my fly boxes.

Jerry T

For this swap, I'd like to know if any northerners are participating... and if so, which color(s) is/are hottest on your local waters?

Thought I might tie in different colors (as opposed to tying my favorite colors)...

Any input is appreciated. (I'm in Texas)...

hookup

Well, I'm in DC and from what I understand that's south of the Mason Dixon line.

But when I travel to Canada, New Yawk, and Maine, I always make sure to have some shades of blue or purple with me

Fin and Fur

Did some dying of wool off the daughters sheep. Fun experiment, didn't know it was going to come out in two colors but I like the end result, third time's a charm. OK 4th... white chenille as a test, reused original two tone and finally got burnt orange/brown mix. I didn't do anything but pick out big chunks of hay, rinse plain hot water. Mixed food coloring and zap in microwave with dash of vinegar. Now on to try some zonker strips.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1454790975786.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1454790975786.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 41

Fin and Fur

But this is okay, right? I especially like the copper flashabou.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1454949504282.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1454949504282.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 26
Back