Fluid bed?

quivira kid

Okay, I've been starting to look at buying a fluid bed.... How many of yall have one and use it? Is it worth it, versus dipping heads into the paint jar itself?

I was thinking about the dual bed from TJ's, and then getting half a dozen or so extra cups to start out.

What is the consensus here?? Yay or nay? Anything more I need to get while I'm at it, or tips for starting out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barefoot

I do like the fluid bed and I have 2 and use both the deep and shallow cups. I bought a half dozen also but find I only use one of each. They clean out pretty well. The dual bed is cool but rarely use 2 cups st a time as a reheat or cure is needed between applications.
TJ's is good stuff.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Tried a homemade fluid bed for awhile, puts on a nice thin/smooth layer. Just seemed like adding extra steps since 90% of my painting anymore is with 2 or 3 colors. Ended up going back to dippin' in the jar for base colors.

Fatman

Have one's I built and with the filter material from Led they work great. If I'm base coating it's definately worth using the fluid bed. Then I can do a reheat and brush tap the other colors.

LedHed

Sponsor
qk - still have some the mesh that Doug is referring to if you decide to get into it. Back in 04 & 05 - saltwater era - was almost a must for big jigs. Now I only do ultra light stuff so fluff and stuff or tapping works for me.

Building your own is a lot cheaper. I think Cadman still has a DIY powerpoint tutorial that he has always shared....

quivira kid

Thanks for the input.... Right now I'm doing a pile of 1/32 and 1/16-oz stuff, where I really don't see much advantage. I've got a few things potentially in the works where I could be painting a lot more 1/8-3/8 oz heads, where the fluid bed could shine.

I will keep digging. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back