Hip Replacement ---- Success

Kdog

Trying to stay positive, Hip was replaced Tuesday afternoon 1:30.  Pretty quick, I was in recovery not sure but fully awake at 4:15.  Got into my room at 5:45.  After meeting all the care givers and finally getting a drink of water 24 hours is too long to wait. was still in lala land, wife was there and I said I love you, but you should go home, I wont be much company.   Around 7 my nurse came back, more water yeah.... She asked if I had ordered dinner,  Did not know I could do so.  She ordered me a cheese burger fries, apple pie and ice cream.   around 830 dinner arrived hot,  burger was cooked better than most, 7 fries, Inhaled almost instantly 36 hours since last eating, I was hungry.   Slowed a bit to eat the pie and ice cream,  it was sweet and did soothe my throat.  First shock of the night, they came to check my blood sugar.  Gee following ice cream and that sweet apple pie, no wonder it was slightly elevated.  Surgery alone raises it.  

Anyhow, around 9 nurse comes in with 2 helpers said they had to get me out of bed and moving.  Part of the anesthesia was a very effective nerve block. No pain and thats a fact. they started getting me up and I said I can see my feet but cant feel them and yes I can move them but I dont know where they are.  She said thats normal,  They all got together and had me standing and sorta walking. Acrosss the room and to a chair,  much more comfortable than the bed.  watched TV they had over 100 channels of junk but I did find Mash the movie..... Dozed in and out and around midnight was told had to be back in bed.  Only one helper and almost a disaster,  no feeling in the legs and I collapsed but they caught me.  In  bed and all the braces and circulatory devices reinstalled.  A good dose of pain meds and 5am I could have more.  Learned a trick, when they ask about pain level if you want the good dose tell them pain is about a 7.  Under 6 they only give 1 pill.  Although I was comfortable, hospital beds are not made for comfort and even with the meds, watched TV all night and got my 5am meds.  

Doctor arrived around 7am, told me from his side, all well but my bones are very dense and hard and he wore out his tools cutting and fitting told me and that in 35 years only second time he had to get a second tool set.  But thats a good thing and unless I dont follow instructions, The surgery will be a success.  Rule 1, dont cross your legs, rule 2 dont bend past 90 degrees at the hip, Rule 3, do not try to get up by yourself. Rule 4, if something changes or you start getting uncomfortable tell your nurse and if necessary call me,  here is my cell phone number.  Also, you will be discharged today.  

PT came in a bit a bit later but the nerve block was still working and just a few minor movements.  Lots of BS questions from Nurse, PA, nurse assitants helpers who knows what they all were.  Nurse came in and asked if I wanted breakfast and lunch, If I did I needed to order.  Of course I did.  Bacon egg and cheeese sandwich for breakfast and a cup of yogurt, Lunch grilled cheese and tomato soup and jello, throat was still sore.  Got up and down 4 or 5 times, kept a close watch on meds and maintained my max dose every 4 hours.  Asked about PT, she said they would be there soon, they get off at 430,  400 PT arrived and unless I wanted to wait for a wheel chair I needed to  walk to the PT room.  Not too bad, 200 feet.  my mistake but I made it.  pretty intense therapy.  Lots of things hurt but stopped as soon as the movements were over, so IMO a good thing.  Finally got discharged around 530 just in time for my wife to fight traffic taking me home. Kinda rough trip and I was in pain by the time we got home. Of course no meds at home, but wife got me in the house and went to get my meds of course she had to go shopping as well
and got back around 1030.  I took all my meds, had a good supply of liquids, remote for tv, 2 ice packs in a cooler, dog at my feet and [font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]unbeknownst[/font]  to the wife a P bottle.  Could not get comfortable, tried to get up and discovered that I could not get off the couch.  Oh well, blankets and TV, I can survive.  Nerve block was still working a bit so I could not quite control my legs. 7am finally able to get up. Disposed of evidence got some ice and a diet dew. Took the dog out, came back in and crashed. Did all my stationary exercises, re-dosed on meds, slept a bit, woke up and took a 1/4 mile walk on crutches.  

Its gonna be a while but I see progress. and no pain unless I push myself. Got in home PT tomorrow.  I know its gonna take some time, but Im glad I finally got it replaced. the no PAIN is priceless.  Trying yo get my lure shop organized, wanna cast a couple thousand jigs and got 4 dozen stick baits ready to paint.

My Thanks to all for your well wishes, prayers, thoughts and encouragement.

duffy

Great to hear everything went good! If you ever see how they install one of those hips you'll understand why it'll hurt for a while!  :D Think of driving a tent stake into frozen ground.  My dad was 6'4" and he had to put risers on everything and he also had a 4" dense foam pad made that he carried to anywhere he had to sit down. Makes getting up from chairs easier and couches are the worst.

Kdog

Couches are awful.  Im 510 and put a 4: dog bed under the cushions,  Not a lot of help. Worst is the commode.  Adding insult to injury, they insist on a laxative/stool softener as well.  Had my first in home therapy session a bit ago and she does not like anything I have set up. Then when she found out I was walking 300 to 900 feet, went ballistic. 20 feet no more than 4x a day. Do these excercises only,,  Left hospital with 15 excercises and they cut me to 3.

hookup

Dang K

Haven't been on the board for a while. Lost my password

Wish I could help - seems like you're doing better

Saw on FB that Bo was under the knife too

Hate Dr's and now you know why - but they do try their best to fix you up

Kdog

Doctors arent the problem... Nurses, therapists, insurance companies, schedulers, all the support personell,,, That is the problem

Kdog

15 days post surgery, doctor says all looks good.
taking 5 or 6 steps without assistance. Can really book on crutches.

Also no hip pain, still have muscle pain lots of bruising and swelling, still ice packs 5 or 6 times a day. mostly precautionary but no sense in letting a little post workout inflamation get out of control.

hookup

Keep up the good work - healing's baby steps and sounds like you're taking them

Back