Do-it Flutter JIG

Bucho

Thanks for the Mustad info!

Thats the record of cutters I have managed to break off. I try to cut the sprue at an angle and leave enough material. It works in a way but is very hard on the cutter tips. One is a clean cutting but sensible sprue cutter from Barlows, the other two are rock solid pro tool shop merchandise. I admit I mix in 3-5% antimon though, my tin is pretty hard. Used a wild mix of hard and soft tin to be more exactly, just had a call with my metal dealer about purchasing antimon, soft lead and pure tin seperately so I can calibrate better. No need for too much hardness in a slab.

hookup

Bought one new from Barlows and modified it to fit the Mustad 91768BLN

Then since I didn't use the 3/8oz slot, filled it 1/2 way w/ JB Weld to make a 3/16th oz - great on the rocky snaggy rivers I fish. Typically kiss the rocks with soft plastics chasing smallies

Then found another for cheap at a flea market so bought it.

Hawnjigs

KISS
The Mustad 91768 is too much hook for my dinky fish. Canal smallies top out at 18", and that only after 5 years of drain dry recovery, which actually started yesterday.

Haven't seen em yet, but the 92611 looks about right for smaller mouth wipers, and maybe salty jacks if I ever visit my islands again.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Bucho, did you ever try alloying bismuth into tin as a hardener? 1% makes a noticeable difference hardening spike barb collars, but difficult to get consistent fill out in a Cabela's Wobble Jig mold. Does antimony affect the pouring quality of pure tin?

I once tried alloying pure antimony with lead-tin making X-hard yet pourable for example Lyman #2 90pb-5sn-5sb but it wasn't worth the effort and expense. Required high melt temps resulting in excessive slag waste.

Bucho

Never tried that. Got a 20lbs minimum wholesale order still lying around, thanks for the info. "Wismuth AG" was the cover name of the sowjet-east German uranium mining corporation, and the name still sticks. Learned the hard way that most folks here rather use lead no matter what you tell them. 1% won´t make a difference though.

Not really sure about the pouring quality since I never knew for sure the exact content. We will see now. I sometimes did have unexpected trouble, will keep an eye on it.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Got the 92611 #2 and 1/0 today, and disappointed that they have significantly side offset points. They can be bent back to center, & along with having to shank bend to fit the Swim Jig mold, too much time & effort for commercial production. Hooks are fairly strong, forged, and points are mediocre Mustad Classic tho not exactly dull. #2 doesn't fit any size, 1/0 seems good for 1/4 oz. Tho I haven't got any yet, think #4 MIGHT fit the 1/8 and 2/0 the 3/8.

Whats the best way to modify the hook eye slot for turned eyes?

Bucho

If you can live with a little side offset, these might be something for you. At least they are sharp. #4 would probably be more appropriate for the 1/8 but these I had at hand. Used them for wobble flies with good results.

30881366ez.jpg

Hawnjigs

KISS
The Gami hook not suprisingly looks perfect for an undressed version, but no, don't like offset points in a fixed hook lure. Neither Google nor the Gamakatsu website search showed that hook model, maybe only available outside the USA. The Mustad 92611 is mediocre Classic quality, but functional enuf for normal size targets with a point hone. That shiny textured tin looks like a best possible attractive yet non-alarming mimic of a scaled silvery baitfish.

Bucho

30969081vh.jpg
Saw these in a shop today. When I started fumbling around with them, I remembered I once bought .... the exact same package, plus a #2. They are too big for the small cavity, a 4 should fit. Nice hook, reasonably sharp, strong, stainless.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Finally got around to modifying the Do-it Swim Jig mold and indeed the Mustad S74 DT hooks looked really good. Couldn't find the stainless version here but the Duratin has perfect sharp points and is strong enuf for anything I can imagine. You were right Bucho about best hook fits - 1/8 #4, 1/4 1/0, and 3/8 2/0 for compact size - no room for tail ties tho.

Briefly field tested the 1/8 #4 version yesterday and altho skeptical about the plain drab appearance of the unpainted and unadorned slab think the muted textured sheen of bare metal resembled a natural baitfish enuf to trigger two trout strikes - a 16" and surprising big girl around 6#. The rounded surfaces of the SJ slab do NOT create as much inherent action like flat side Do-it Flutter Jig, but the Swim Jig does twitch dart sufficiently to attract, trout anyway.

Altho the already tested and proven FJ has noticeably more vigorous action than the SJ, I really like the single hook curved slab concept which doesn't seem to line foul or twist like a swinging treble straight slab. And, the availability of the compact 1/8 size SJ only 1-1/4" long with a #4 hook seems promising for not only trout but warm water predators surface feeding on tiny fresh shad spawn later in the Summer.

Thanks to Murray for getting me interested in adding slab jigs to my repertoire.

Bucho

Hawnjigs said:
...Altho the already tested and proven FJ has noticeably more vigorous action than the SJ,  I really like the single hook curved slab concept which doesn't seem to line foul or twist like a swinging treble straight slab. ...

Since this thread is named "Flutter Jig" and not "I`ll go with the SJ anyway because I like a big ol`single", I would like to draw your attention on "inline" lure single hooks sporting a very large eye that fits over a split ring. This eye is so big that you can easyly slip in a swivel or wire form without thermal treatment or anything. Just thread the lure or swivel onto the hook, let it rest on the eye slit, and then open it just enough to let it slip through. This way the flexibility of the steel works in your favour. More often than not you don`t even have to close the eye, it springs back. Since my beloved Matzuo open eye Siwash hooks are numbered and I turn to VMC instead, I just made a test run with three dozen swiveled Shad Spoons this way - quick work, no breakage.

The Package says "super light" but I find them rather sturdy and have no doubt they will not be the weakest link in a chain that works a 1/4oz slab. The pictures show that they spring back and close not 100% but still even better than you would achive with an open eye siwash.

32383823zb.jpg

32383818er.jpg

Hawnjigs

KISS
Dunno why the package says "super light" when the VMC hook is obviously not, and the mfg. website calls it "1x". Great design, and good idea by VMC to offer them in smaller sizes than similar Mustad "Kaiju". Flexing the eye to insert is certainly a unique and practical idea.

Regardless, I'll always prefer fixed to swing hooks. Probably cast the larger sizes "Swim Jigs" in tin and maybe file the bottom convex surface a bit flatter for more efficient plane. Since the "swim" performance is mediocre at best, my best use here will be for long casting wiper boils.

Or maybe learn from Murray how to bottom slab walleyes and big catfish.

Hawnjigs

KISS
OK, the shad spawn are bout 1" and a few smaller wipers 15-17" are straying into the outlet canal, tho wiper EXPERT Neil mentioned we're still at least a few weeks out from school boils when the shad fry hit 1-1/2"+.

So, got to test the 1/8 size Swim Jig with #4 S74S hooks recommended by Bucho and got two, one twitched against and one with the current flow retrieves. Not a bunch, but successful considering the limited resource, evidenced by 4 bait dunkers getting nuthin along that stretch of canal.

Its a keeper, out of the mold and onto the line with no ties or tails necessary.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Wiper action is picking up, with the inlet pool a better choice than the outlet canal. Meatheads dunking minnows harvesting well over the limit of one fish 16"+, but C&R lure chukkers are getting a fair share. My most effective bite getter remains a 3" Gulp! Minnow jig but local wiper MASTER Neil continues to get bigger fish than anyone by switching between blades, "doll fly" jigs, and who knows what else. But, first field test of the plain unpainted 1/4 1/0 size Swim Jig was successful, longer casting than jigs & got a few to bite. Looking forward to taking advantage of the Swim Jig attributes when the wind turns in your face nasty and/or the wipers are boiling.

Back