Do-it Flutter JIG

Bucho

Thanks! Its not that big, barely 18" but well conditioned. Those residential summer seatrout look somewhat more like those freshwater browns. It stood in the shadow of a large ponton that I just recently discovered holds fish. I had already given up on it and started casting further out, jigging from the ground up through open water. Just on the final jigs when I could already see the lure, the trout apeared under my feet and went for it.  

Here you can see the ponton. The (small mouthed) flounder is one of the biggest I ever got. I first spotted it following a large pike jig I testet there and later fished right on it with a tipped usd wobble jig. I did have a football shaped two-footer nibbling on a pike jig dangling under my rod tip the other day, a rather unnerving experience. 

30253963uq.jpg

Bucho

The jig is 1/2 cavity pure tin with mother of pearl adhesive foil. A friend made custom die cuts for me.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Hahaha, you're getting to the point where you have too many lure choices that work. That MoP foil certainly reflects light nicely. The spot you're fishing looks like very old historic dock, tho I'm aware that Kiel Harbor was mostly destroyed by WW2 bombing. Recovered nicely as fish habitat it seems, like Pearl Harbor did back in Hawaii for awhile. It wasn't until later that massive urbanization destroyed the Pearl Harbor ecosystem with silt and polutant runoff from the estuarine feeder fresh water sources contributing. I remember Pearl Harbor as an abundant source of every nearshore game and food fish, including huge ulua, plus oysters, clams, & crabs. That resource was completely ruined by the development of Pearl City. Progress.

I THINK I'll mostly use the (tin)1/4 size FJ if they prove effective here, tho I got a lesson from a dedicated slabber who thoroughly outfished me yesterday throwing a wider bodied 1/2 oz. lead slab, including a 20# flathead catfish on 6# Nanofil. With that setup, Murray could cast twice as far as my 1/8 oz jig on 8# Power Pro.

Bucho

Hawn you`d be surprized how hard it is do thorroghly destroy massive toolmaking equipment or docks. The yard has not been taken care of so well since they downsized to repair etc. and rust comes fast even with low salinity.

The main reason the FJ sells so well is that casts so outstandingly well even in unfavorable winds and still has a nice horizontal action. Most of my customers chuck 3/4-1oz after seatrout, wading in less than 6`of water. Personally, when ul fishing, I must say don`t like the 1/4 cavity tin for that purpose and favor the lead for range and lure speed.

As for the environment - when I was a kid back in the early 80´s, there was acid rain de-forristing entire regions, every large river served as industrial sewer and the kiel harbour was a dead zone below some 20`or so depth. The "Salmon 2000" agenda was perceived as a political joke.
We`ve come a long way from there.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Germany is fortunate to have a progressive leaning government prioritizing the welfare of the majority citizenry.  Environmentally, the USA is going down the tubes with the current administration dismantling protections, blatantly appointing the worst possible choices of directors.  For a tip of the iceberg example, here's a published comment on the new head of the Environmental Protection Agency Scott Pruitt:

"A former Oklahoma attorney general who built his career suing the E.P.A.,  Mr. Pruitt has made it clear that he sees his mission to be dismantling the agency’s policies — and even portions of the institution itself. But as he works to roll back regulations, close offices and eliminate staff at the agency charged with protecting the nation’s environment and public health, Mr. Pruitt is taking extraordinary measures to conceal his actions, according to interviews with more than 20 current and former agency employees. Mr. Pruitt, according to the employees, who requested anonymity out of fear of losing their jobs, often makes important phone calls from other offices rather than use the phone in his office. And the E.P.A. under Mr. Pruitt has moved to curb certain public information, shutting down data collection of emissions from oil and gas companies, and taking down more than 1,900 agency webpages on topics like climate change, according to a tally by the Environmental Defense Fund, which did a Freedom of Information request on these terminated pages." 

Liberal fake news, of course, by snowflakes who never worked a real job.

Bucho

Nobody on this side of the atlantic takes Trump seriously, the media focusses on his fails and embarressments. The efficency with which his administration does what it had been elected for -undo Obamas policies - while he takes the heat is generally overseen. But lets not go there in this thread.

I came across the "Yamamoto Swimming Jig" and its awkwardly long and kinked "Gamakatsu V-Style" hook which reminded me of a popper (fly) hook. Maybe you find some decent hooks there. I will order a swim jig mold myself and see what I can find.

hookup

But lets not go there in this thread.

But we did

the media focusses on his fails and embarressments.

And that's the problem with the media.  Good news doesn't sell advertisement or newspapers

"Yamamoto Swimming Jig"

I couldn't catch a cold on that thing, but their senko continues to perform

Hawnjigs

KISS
Lots of swim jig designs available - what they have in common is a forward eye tapered to a point nose config. When I first saw the Y-swim jig head I thought it was a joke concocted by Do-it & GY, maybe testing that their customer base would buy anything with their names on it? Seriously, an inline ball head with a single barb short collar?!

Considered as such, I missed that the V-eye hooks might possibly be converted to a Do-it Swim Jig. Thanks Bucho.

toadfrog

I read most of this post . If you cast those in tin . It is easy to electroplate . There a bunch of home electro plating vids on YOU TUBE . Anything silver, nickle or gold can be used to eletroplate the lure . Just an fyi . I think I have both the swim jig and the flutter jig mold hanging in the man cave . I have only made a few from them and that was for hybrid bass . I say hybrid bass because every time I put striper I wind up typing stripper . Then is when I get the ribbing of my life .

Hawnjigs

KISS
First time pouring the Do-it Flutter Jig, 1/4 oz size in tin. The finished slabs have a see thru hole in the eye sockets, it appears the clearance between the socket and wire insert is too narrow to fill out with the melt. Is this a characteristic of tin or is there the same problem with lead?

I don't see a need to plate - tin has a natural mirror like shine.

Field tested this morning, caught a hybrid stripper, but the other 3 guys fishing the same pool outfished me at least 3 to 1 with poppers and tied jigs. I think proper tekneek is critical for best results fishing slabs, and I need to practice. The FJ did cast farther than same weight ball heads.

Bucho

Even the advertising picture on the Do-It hp has that hole. The small ones are particularly tricky, the only size I am reluctant to use commercially - for that reason. I did get proper casts with both lead and tin but its not easy and I failed to get consistent results. The fish don`t mind and 3d eyes help covering up.

The practice pays off!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Indeed, checked the Do-it website and the FJ pic shows an eye socket void, and the ragged sprue break which compromises the symmetry. Gotta give Do-it credit for accurate product depiction.

I noticed more missed hits than hookups (1 haha), why I don't like tail swing hooks, and am now leaning towards the fixed hook Swim Jig for surface apps.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Nuther wiper field test today, and did better on the hookup ratio landing 2 out of 3 bites. The Flutter Jig performs best sub-surface - a moderate speed jerk & drop did the trick today. But, still got outfished 4-2 by a dawn patrol regular throwing a popper with a bright red-orange marabou jig trailer, all hooked on the jig. Seasoned locals continue to school me.

I really like the casting distance of the FJ, and it doesn't line foul the hook as much as a Kasty on jerk/twitch retrieves. Hmm, maybe a bright red-orange tie on the FJ hook?

Bucho

What hook you rig anyway? When jigging, I´d be carfull disturbing the balance with tying material. If its only about the color then there`s always Powderpaint.

Anyway, try a spin stop (min 01.05)! That might work with a 1/2oz and a siwash even without a swivel.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Gamakatsu #6 double hook on a #1 split ring for flat sides up & down balance. Also trying direct attachment of double hook to slab tail ring for a different balance, need to continue testing to see which is better under what circumstances. Skinny 12 strand red Flashabou tie is a short 3/4" including thread tie over to be tested tomorrow. Don't expect any drastic damping effect horizontal casting & retrieving, but we'll see.

I've got some PERFECT different color painted jig heads, but haven't noticed that walleyes in particular prefer them over bare metal.

Single hooks are a possible future project depending on the effectiveness of doubles. Currently have no need for larger than the 1/4 size FJ.

Bucho

Sorry for getting so hung up on that spin stop thing each time I talk casting/slab spoons. Its just something people have no imagination of if they rig them with splits and trebles that dampen the rotation. I will have to live with that.

Hawnjigs

KISS
I don't know what exactly the "spin stop" is? Thought it might be a hook-swivel-slab connection but you stated "might work without a swivel?

Tried to mitigate the exposed wire in the 1/4 size casting problem by grinding out the eye sockets which worked for that area, but the wire still shows behind the "gill". Guess I'll have to grind out that area too.

Enthusiasm for the Flutter Jig is fading, got no wiper bites this morning on one. Switched to a Gulp! jig, and had a best ever day approx 15.

Bucho

If you remove the hook from a slab and slowly drag it through the water, it is likely to spin like a falling willow leaf and slightly break to one side. If you put the treble back on, it won`t, because that will acts as a crank drag.
Now if you put a bearing between hook and lure, it is likely to regain its spin under a hanging stop.

If a fish follows the lure which all of a sudden halts and starts spinning while it sinks, it will usually strike. I get 80% of my spoon caught browns that way. Its the sole reason I go through all the troubles of Powderpainting slabs poured on wire forms with swivels on them. I´m not an expert on wiper but it has worked on many species so far.  This film trailer shows this at 01.05

Hawnjigs

KISS
Altho the video does appear to show horizontal drop spin, I've never liked resulting line twist, which even the best swivels can't prevent. Indeed, flashy spin does attract, best served IMO with spinners or my preference Jigger John's Boolie design. Most of my Gulp! jigs incorporate a propeller and using them I'm no longer lagging behind others at today's continuing wiper bite, since the fish are holding deep & no longer surface boiling.

Think my best use of FJs is for high speed on or near surface retrieves when wipers are actively feeding on the surface best served with long casts. Close in, a Hooksup head Boolie creates more surface commotion than a slab.

Back