Wool jigs

JUNGLEJIM1

A few more that I tied this morning using a 1/32 pillhead,#4 sickle hook. Pink/white combination has been really good this fall in clearer lakes. White satin under the jigs.View attachment 7

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 125

Fatman

Showoff!!!!!!!! LOL Excellent ties buddy!! I have a pack of those eyes and a pack of the colored ones. Gonna have to copy some more of your patterns.

Hawnjigs

KISS
JJ1, you're really raising the bar of jig artistry with basic no frills ties!
Questions:
What is the bright orange blip under blacklight on the previous page pic?
What kind of wrapping thread on this page?

JUNGLEJIM1

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Hawn the bright orange stuff under the blacklight is wool that I dyed orange. I think I left it in too long,wanted it a little lighter shade. The thread is 70 UTC,ultra thread. I use it all the time when working around the head of the jig and using a lot of wraps tying in materials. The 70 thread doesn't build up like heavier thread and since you are working around the collar you don't have to worry about cutting the thread with the hook. All my duck jigs,"float n fly" are tied with the ultra 70.

crappiecripplerjigs

I purchased some "Congo Hair" and "Water Mix" from Fly Tyers Dungeon awhile back. Natural colors, neons, etc... It is supposed to hold its shape and looks much like the wool you dyed. I have not used any of it but it was very cheap and might work for something like this.

Pop

Went to Joann's today and managed to get white and green satin, but; they don't stock the wool roving but carry it on line. The satin was on sale and I purchased 1 foot of each satin for only 1.60 each. Will order the wool roving tomorrow. Would like to see what everyone is tying with the material. Pop

Pop

Update on the wool roving. Just ordered an ounce on Ebay. Much cheaper than Jo-Anne Fabrics. Pop

redear

I wonder how the wool roving stacks up against the wapsi sculpin wool still on the hide as far as fish catching ability. that roving has been processed quite a bit and makes a beautiful jig with it's soft flowing texture, and I really like the look of it, but when you compare it to the wool cut straight off the hide there is quite a difference in density and how should I say it, chewyness. I think each will have it's place to shine, but have been pondering the differences.

Fatman

redear or anyone - just how much processing has the roving gone through???? And gotta admit when the wool was mentioned I assumed it was the sheared wool from the sheep, but you're talking one that's been skinned out!!!.

JUNGLEJIM1

The wool roving works. Just got back from a local lake and caught over 20 crappie,bluegill and one bass. Was using a 1/64 chub on a #10 sickle. Three nice keeper size black crappie that I put back. Lost several nice one's when hook pulled out,I'd better get some tied up with a #6 hook. As for as the density I like mine thin anyway and add more to get the profile I want. Jigs still in great shape even after getting chewed up.

Lost Pole

I've been reading and keeping up on the recent wool crave, following the boolie craze. Just hasn't really peaked my interest or convinced me of much. I may try some things when I run out of what I have left.

But those jigs look flat out great, JJ1.

Particularly the pics under the black…
Like RusseLL, I'm fond of the idea of that prominent lateral line.

Great jigs!

Back