Wool jigs

JUNGLEJIM1

Here are some 1/64 chubs on #8 and #10 hooks that I tied up using natural wool roving,white and green satin tied with 70 ultra thread.After tying I trimmed the wool for a minnow profile just like was said in JJ's thread although I tied the wool in differently. Took some pictures of the jigs as well under a blacklight to show how the white satin and wool look as well. The satin fibers really stand out and I can see why Red's wool jigs are so successful. I need to dye more fluorescent colors of wool. I really like how it looks and have a jig tied on to my new rod to test when the rain stops.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 247
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 243
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 242
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 240

JUNGLEJIM1

One more pic of the jigs under a blacklight. the jigs pics were taken on top of the white and green satin to show their fluorescence,green doesn't have any,at least yet. I might dye some.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 223

jiggerjohn

Very cool demo by means of the blacklight!! Maybe this is what Red's thousands of crappies have seen so clearly down deep in the brushpiles of Pymatuning's stained waters!! And your jigheads add a perfect profile to this brilliant minnow!

smalljaw

Those are magnificent!!! JJ1, the white satin you used, it is just normal satin you can get at a fabric shop? I ask because your jigs tied with the satin and wool look like a live minnow with some kind of bio luminesence, it glows but the wool makes it look natural, they are extremely well done, my hat is off to you!!!

JUNGLEJIM1

I got the materials at JO ANN'S FABRICS. A half yard of the white satin cost a couple bucks and should tie thousands with it. The wool was a little pricey but should last awhile. On most of these ties once I found out how bright the white satin was I tied the white satin fibers in first and then the wool around it before trimming it down. A lot of my powder paints that don't have any fluorescence I add a tiny bit of the UV BLAST so the heads glow under a blacklight. A little goes a long way.I'm going to cut up some of the white satin into smaller squares and break out the dye pot soon.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Wow, blacklight appearance is impressive! But if its UV, doesn't that filter out in water?

I haven't tried yet JJ1, - are you stretching and/or combing your wool to straighten it?

JUNGLEJIM1

I remember an article in IN FISHERMAN magazine over 20 years ago in which they did tests with fluorescent colors and regular colors underwater and fluorescent colors were visible at much greater depths long after regular colors had faded out completely. I've been stretching it and cutting off tiny sections tying it a little at a time. After I tie off I trim off fibers to get the profile I want.

redear

wow jungle!! those are killer! was the wool you got still on the hide? and do you pull fibers off the satin or do you cut narrow strips?. great jigs.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Those do look nice! The satin line almost looks like a lateral line running through it.

Hawnjigs said:
...But if its UV, doesn't that filter out in water?...

I have done some research into the UV info over the past few years. Not a ton of hard facts to dig up, but UV actually does penetrate a lot deeper than the spectrum of light that is visible to humans. Water is not a UV filter. As some research has shown, which species of fish can actually see the UV spectrum depends on the types of rods and cones that their eyes have. Many predator fish and nocturnal feeding fish are thought to have the eyes that can see UV easily. Some talk of it being very useful for catching deep water halibut in the upper northwest and also for use in paint for bird decoys.

redear

that wool roving has got me thinking, didn't know what roving was till I looked it up on yahoo, seems it is a more processed wool off the hide and it has a more straightened fiber, I like the look of it too, I can see where the more raw wool with it's bulky texture and the roving wool could be used together also, there are gonna be plenty of possibilities for using this material I am sure.

JUNGLEJIM1

AF, after the first few jigs tied I thought the satin would make a great lateral line and tied up the rest with the satin fibers on the inside because it shows up so well. I plan on using the satin in some duck jigs soon as well as other things. Got to break out some dyes and add some colors,orange pink and chartreuse will be on the list first. Stuff gives me goosebumps handling it though.

Fatman

I really have to learn how to dye stuff. I have bags of mallard and teal flank and the only dyed colors I have 2 bags I bought and 2 I got from the a material swap box. My daughter has dyed cloth before and she'll be here after Christmas I'll have to get her to teach me how.

JUNGLEJIM1

Dyed some wool and satin this afternoon. For some reason the dye didn't take with the satin and washed right out. The wool looks pretty good though. I dyed some of my white wool. Now I got a few more colors to work with.2nd picture is under a blacklight.View attachment 5View attachment 6

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 101
Back