Which Fights Harder?

hookup

Small mouth bass.

But you know, it so fun catching slab bluegills.

SaltyBuckster

I'de have to say smallmouth also.But,some big bluegills like the foot long ones that I used to catch in Arizona regularly put up a really good fight on very Ultra light gear and for a longer period.

Fatman

Theres an Outdoor Writer by the name of Stan Fagerstrom who made this statement about bluegills,
"If bluegills were the size of bass we'd need saltwater tackle to catch them"

On the right size tackle they put up a great fight!!! But there ain't nothing like a smallie dancing across the water!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hawnjigs

KISS
I've only caught one bluegill of size at 11" & thought it pulled harder and longer than any kind of bass the same size. For enjoyment, would rather target big gills on light gear than largies buried in cover with winches.

Doc Crappie

Banned
BG's definitely have a better fight, could you imagine if bluegills reached 5 pounds or more, the fight you would have on the end of your line.

Doc Crappie

Banned
Well I never saw one over a pound but I bet who ever caught that one had one freaking hell if a battle getting it landed .... :p

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Pup

Time to weigh in.

I used to fish for bluegills with a bait casting outfit and spoons. Indiana's bull bluegills can put a "C" bend into a fairly stout rod at times.

SFHPphoto.jpg

Try a 1/8-oz. wobbler with a light spinning outfit sometime to build up your confidence in spoons. Then move up to a heavier, slimmer spoon like a 1/4-oz. Z-Ray to hook some really big ones.

Ounce-for-ounce, I believe that bigger bluegills fight better than bass of equal weight.

quivira kid

Largemouths give you one good run and they're done..... gills turn sideways and get MAD. I have a love affair with bluegills on the fly rod. Absolutely my favorite type of fishing!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Tough call between the 2......

- B.Gill as the HARDEST puller. Their broad body digs in.
- Smallmouth for FUNNEST. It can be amazing when you get hold of a jumper. Wading in the river and having them jump out of the water to (or above) your eye level is a sight.

One other odd-ball FW species that puts up an amazing fight for its size is a River Redhorse. They love to run and take a long time to tire out. Shaped like little torpedos. A decent size one on light tackle or fly is a challenge.

101_1620_e.jpg

Back