Western NC

dbeam

New here from Hickory NC. I have been reading and looking at pictures and post on this site off and on for a few months now. It its a great site, and I would like to thank everyone that has posted ideas, that I plan on copying this spring/summer.
I like to tie, but don't really get along well with a fly rod so jig tying may be the ticket to getting good use out of what I am making.
Anyone from the area, or planning on fishing in the area please let me know I would enjoy a chance to share what info I may have or maybe even set up a fishing trip sometime.

Darrell

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome from NW Ohio! Glad to have you on the site and look forward to seeing some of your jigs.

dbeam

I have already gotten some good ideas.

Do any of you guys kayak fish? I got one a few years back and really enjoy fishing from it. Unless someone is going along i usually take out the yak instead of hooking up the boat.

Darrell

AllenOK

I'm a kayaker. Perception Search 13. Nice, gets me on the water, lets me get away from the crowds. I do A LOT of different fishing techniques from that yak.

Radtexan

Welcome aboard !! I fish from the bastard cousin to the yak. An old 70's water wagon. And yes it's much easier than hookin up the boat and don't mind fishin alone at all ;)
dbeam said:

Do any of you guys kayak fish? I got one a few years back and really enjoy fishing from it. Unless someone is going along i usually take out the yak instead of hooking up the boat.

Darrell

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Yes indeed! The bottom one is mine and the others are for the wife and kids........

101_2952_e.jpg

Only got out last year a few time to to paddle while the family was camping, but this year i am hoping to get a few late evening trolling days in through the summer. StumpHunter is from the Carolina's as well and has quite the decked out yak.

dbeam said:

Darrell

dbeam

Good to see some yakkers, I joined a forum here in NC with a bunch of kayakers. We try to get together a couple of times a year and do an inshore or moving freshwater trip.

AF I am glad you posted your pic your collection is a lot like mine only I keep 2 for me and the rest for whoever may need a boat. (Although I have to use a SOT, since I can't get in and out of the SIK) Splitting my time between big flat water and moving streams makes ti hard to settle on one boat. Another good thing about the Canoes and Kayaks is the fact that after the purchase they are pretty much maintenance free from then on.

Darrell

AllenOK

Dbeam, I hear you on the "lake yak" vs. "river yak" debate. My boat is most definitely a lake boat. Longer, narrow (30" beam), keeled bow and stern. I've taken my boat down a stream with a group from my local yak club. Most of them used shorter, wider, yaks that had better maneuverability. The first time, we went down the creek, then down the lake the creek dumped into. The lake was a 3-mile paddle into the wind. I had a better time of then some of the others in the group, once we hit the lake.

I may have to post up some pics of how I have my yak rigged. Anchor trolley, sonar, extra rod holders.

dbeam

A..OK I wold enjoy seeing some pis of your yak. Rigging them just the way you want is part of the fun of fishing from one.

Darrell

dbeam

I am having trouble adding pictures, I hit Browse, then selected a picture from "My Pictures" then hit Add Attachments and got a message stating that the one picture file was too big. What I am missing?

Thanks
Darrell

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Pictures have to be down sized to help keep storage space on the server down. If you re-size the pictures to 800x600 pixels, usually that is enough to bring the file size down so they can be posted. Can even re-size down to 640x480 if need be. Any photo editing program will work.

dbeam

AtticaFish said:
Pictures have to be down sized to help keep storage space on the server down. If you re-size the pictures to 800x600 pixels, usually that is enough to bring the file size down so they can be posted. Can even re-size down to 640x480 if need be. Any photo editing program will work.

Thanks for the info I will work on figuring it out.

Darrell

Back