Veined Powder Bass Jigs

cadman

Hey guys, I thought I would post these pics of some custom veined powder paint I had made. These jigs were my three killer bass colors this year. Hope they produce next year. Anyway this was also my first year at tying on skirts with wire. I have always used thread in the past, and wanted to try wire. Wire tying seems faster than thread, also the skirts didn't slide down with the wire so this may be another option for my tying jigs in the future.

The silver/black and blue/black veined jigs were the top producers. The green pumpkin/blk sand seemed to work on days when the other two didn't. Definitely a good balance for a day of fishing.

Attachments

• 70.jpg
    70.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 600.jpg
    600.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 117

cadman

LedHed, I was very happy with the results. I was also happier that they caught fish. This year was my best year for bass fishing. A lot of bass and many between 3-4 lbs. Not big by California standards, but those are nice fish for IL.

cadman

Fatman, Actually I know a chemist who does stuff on the side for me. The powder paint wasn't that bad it was $30/pound however I had to buy 5 pound of each color. So it does get costly if you are just making a couple of jigs. I sold some of the powder off and I still have some, so I didn't lose that much. However it paid off because of all the fish I caught. (LOL just don't tell my wife) This doesn't happen often, as I've bought colors in the past, that didn't catch anything.

Rad, Thanks for the compliments.

Pup

Those are great-looking baits. :cool: The bottom jig will catch lunker smallmouth. I'd stock up with that one for Indiana's "Big Lake".

Do you tie any that you would consider to be goby patterns? Your jig in the second picture should do well in the goby territories of Lake Michigan.

cadman

Pup, CrappieHappy,Ron Don and Doc Crappie thanks for the compliments

Pup, It's funny you should mention that about the green jig. I did really well with that up in Green Bay in the harbour on smallies in one of our tournaments. I have a lot of this green powder so I can make a lot of jigs. On another note one of my customers used to buy green (John Deere green) jigs from me for years and I could never fiure it out. Until he told me that he fishes the local rivers and Lake Erie with them and just kills the smallies on that color. I don't know why the smallies like the green though. I could see brown as that looks close to a crayfish.

I do not tie anything that resembles a goby, however I have used plastic trailers that look like a goby with no success. Do you have any pics of what ties you are referring to? I live about 30 miles from lake Michigan and have rarely fished it except for a salmon charter and perch fishing. That is some pretty big water and you have to pick your days carefully.

cadman

Fatman said:
There was nothing yesterday but I'll check when I get home from work today. Can't get there from here at work.

Fatman,
Thanks for the help and keeping an open eye out for me.

toadfrog

I have a goby plastic mold . Didn't do much for me either . Better to have a swirl tail on one .

Pup

I do not tie anything that resembles a goby, however I have used plastic trailers that look like a goby with no success. Do you have any pics of what ties you are referring to?

Cadman,

This is my only attempt, I think, of a round goby type of hair jig. The jigs weigh about 1/4 ounce and have #1 hooks.

gobies002.jpg

Was fun to play around with the googly eyes. I look foward to testing these out in Lake Michigan.

cadman

Pup said:
I do not tie anything that resembles a goby, however I have used plastic trailers that look like a goby with no success. Do you have any pics of what ties you are referring to?

Cadman,

This is my only attempt, I think, of a round goby type of hair jig. The jigs weigh about 1/4 ounce and have #1 hooks.

gobies002.jpg

Was fun to play around with the googly eyes. I look foward to testing these out in Lake Michigan.

Pup,
Those are really great looking. Very nice and clean work

jjsjigs

Banned
Anything green with BIG eyes will catch fish in the Erie basin... I use a lot of green baitfish flies with a big deer hair head when I'm out for Chromers. Those Steelhead go ape-shit for 'em.

cadman

Fatman said:
Pup nice ties there buddy!!!!!!!

Cad still no answer from the guy. Wonder if he's just ignoring people from the other board

Fatman,
No bigee. I rarely if never go on Crappie.com. I just happened to see a post about veined powder paint. From what I've heard, is that it is a two part system, where you put the black on and then you put your other color on. If it's a simple process with std powder paint I would pursue it. If it is a custom powder paint than I'll pass. My current vein powders are one coat does it all so I don't want to invest in special paints. If you happen to find out just give me a jingle. Thanks for keeping me posted.

Back