Tying hair jigs

walleyetracker85

Hey guys I'm brand new at tackle craft. I would like to learn to tie hair jigs. What are the steps, and what's the necessary equipment? What kind of fur do you guys prefer?

CrappieHappy

Hello, you can visit the tutorial section here :

http://www.jigcraft.com/tutorials/index.html

and the patterns section here:

http://www.jigcraft.com/patterns/index.html

I have used squirrel, raccoon, deer, fox, coyote..... The possibilities are endless.
Necessary equipment would be vise, jigheads, thread, bobbin, choice of hair

you could do thread necks, and not need any chenille for body material:

AF95F470-A35C-4A78-806D-351354CC3931_zpsmrgzhkon.jpg

C4354F71-7635-4BA4-B248-0C3C141299EF_zpse7o1cgzg.jpg

Good luck, let us know if any questions.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
What style hair jigs are you planning to tie? If you are talking about walleye jigs (assuming that by your username) rabbit zonkers, bucktail, and craft hair/fur are the ones i mainly use. They all have different movement and each require a little different care to make sure they will stay together. If making thread neck styles, i would pick up some Sally Hansen Hard As Nails fingernail polish to coat the threads. Epoxy or head cement could also be used.... but the nail polish is pretty quick and easy to find. Not absolutely necessary but will keep the jigs together longer, especially for toothy critters.

walleyetracker85

Yes, you are correct they will mostly be walleye jigs. Maybe a few crappie jigs. Thanks for the help so far guys!

Jig Man

Use a heavy thread "210" so you can pull it down. And use plenty of cement to keep it together. Lots of good info on you tube tying bucktail jigs also... Welcome to Jig Craft.

walleyetracker85

Ok, thanks for the information. I have kind of a dumb question. I was looking at do it molds on Janns website. I saw they have a buck tail mold. Is this the only jig you can add hair to, or can you add hair to just about any jig? Thanks again guys!

Jay Wirth

You can add hair to any head style. For walleye the old school ball head is still producing eyes. Flat head for rivers or deep water are great also. DoiTs walleye head isn't bad.

Just start tying. Lets see what you got......

walleyetracker85

Thanks! Where do most of you guys order your hair from? Somewhere like janns? Also what should I be looking for in a vice? It looks like you can spend very little, or a lot on them!

plateboater

3/0 thread used for most jigs. KrazyGlue the threads or Sally. Go without a collar jig mold. I buy most hair from Barlows or CrazyAngler also use Caddis, Hagens. Vice pends on your allowance. I use a dyna-king. I would say a Peak Vice is top choice for a lot of people and there are dealers on here for maybe a family price!!! Vices are like cars and EVERYONE has opinions.

Jig Man

You might also contact Crazy Angler and check into a starter kit. About the only thing I don't still use out of mine on a regular basis is the vise.

Pup

walleyetracker85 said:
Hey guys I'm brand new at tackle craft. I would like to learn to tie hair jigs. What are the steps, and what's the necessary equipment? What kind of fur do you guys prefer?
Watching YouTube videos would likely be a great way to learn if you don't like a lot of personal trial and error. Why not create your own steps once you've gotten the hang of tying?

Necessary equipment imo:
  • Scissors of several different sizes; include a pair with serrated blades
  • Tweezers - for clean collars.
  • Thread (waxed) - 70/140/210 denier or equivalent 'aught' sizes (8/0, 6/0, 3/0...); can use trilobal polyester embroidery threads (40/50-wt.) with beeswax
  • Nail polish

Preferred fur: Craft Fur

walleyetracker85 said:
Thanks! Where do most of you guys order your hair from? Somewhere like janns? Also what should I be looking for in a vice? It looks like you can spend very little, or a lot on them!
Many different sources exist for craft fur. You can find a few good walleye jig colors at Jo Ann Fabrics nowadays where I've seen swatches of kelly green, white, black, orange, and yellow. Michaels and Hobby Lobby are worth visiting. Hancock Fabrics often has a small selection of colors by the bolt.

A Google search will supply you with a plethora of online suppliers of craft fur. Local fly shops should carry it too.

Purchase a rotary vise, meaning one that will rotate your jig in its jaws a full 360 degrees.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Pup said it well. Lots of options. Can even check little 'small biz' craft shops if you know of any around you for the craft fur. The craft store brands are usually Darice and just make sure the fur fibers are long enough. Some styles are shorter than others.

We have a member that runs an Ebay shop of tying supplies. Fishhunter775 Tackle He has a wide variety of materials and does read/post here. :icon14: He will not steer you wrong.

I do get a lot of my supplies from Jann's just because they are the closest shop around me that carries the stuff i like. Been to their brick & mortar store a few times too. If i order early in the morning, sometimes will have it the next day.... 2 at most. Not sure where you are from, but other shops may be closer.

LedHed

Sponsor
Fishhunter - CrazyAngler, can't go wrong

Trading for items is another way of building up your arsenal....

Bucho

walleyetracker85 said:
What kind of fur do you guys prefer?

Depends on the size of jig. If you think of a beard: short is stiff, long is limb.

Bucktail can be a very stiff material on a small pattern but nice and soft on a 1oz saltwater jig. Craftfur suits most freshwater jigs. Try to stick with the standard material until you get a feel for this matter before cutting scrap fur deals at your local furrier :D.

Back