Tutorial - Buck Tail Jig

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I uploaded a tutorial onto the main site for how i make a simple buck tail jig. For anyone interested, here is the link - Tutorials.

I plan to make up some more for specific jig styles and other steps in creating jigs in general... anyone think they can help out with the pics and text for a tutorial, let me know. :)

Hawnjigs

KISS
Didn't know about razor cutting the excess hair. Other tutorials show scissors cutting which leaves hair stumps that need to be tied over & down requiring lots more thread. Clear pics and well organized AF !

crappiecripplerjigs

Nice job Attica! Hope to see more tutorials in the future. Perhaps some of the beginning tyers could request what they would like to see and one of the more veteran tyers could post pics and directions. I've been tying for some time now and have never cut the hair long and used a blade to cut off. I always tie at the end of hair and had trouble with material spinning or sliding down the hook shank. This is new to me. Fantastic tutorial you put together!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Kinda funny... i thought i was doing it the way everyone else was. :p

Glad to help - it takes some practice to get the razor cutting down just right. If you are not cutting alot of hair at once, just straight pressure works good. If you have to cut through alot, sometimes rocking the razor back and forth cuts better and other times a sawing cut works better. I just always top coat the thread with nail polish and cover any minor cuts into the head finish with it also.

This is just how i do it, i have seen some outstanding jigs that were made with the scissor cutting method and tweezing out any stray hairs. Just comes down to personal preference.

Back