Trout Jig Help

toadfrog

Ok guys and gals . I don't usually do trout stuff . So I need some pics or a link for the best colors and or styles in trout jigs . Central U.S. location . It's one of those deals where you can't say no . My attorney wants them . He will be fishing stream trout on light spinning equipment . A first timer at this . Any and all help has my undying appreciation.

StumpHunter

These will work on a small head also and easy to tye wet or dry. Small chenille and hackle.

Attachments

• bream jigs and flies 010.jpg
    bream jigs and flies 010.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 119
  • bream jigs and flies 012.jpg
    bream jigs and flies 012.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 119

toadfrog

That gets me started. I'll do those tonight . Thanks keep'em coming I got to do as many styles as I can come up with . I'll post some pics before I let him have them . This is kinda rough for a half blind geezer . Even with my magnified tying light . My fingers look like polish sausages under the thing.

Fatman

Toad

Dont know how soon you need to get them to him, but tie one like a pheasant tail nymph, some scud patterns. I have an article from an old fishing magazine but I have to dig it out and get the article scanned.

Hawnjigs

KISS
TF, what is your friend's skill level? I've been jigging for 50 years, and still can't cast 1/32 accurately or far enuf for stream fishing. Personally, 1/16 is the lightest I can cast reasonably near to my target on 4# mono with any regularity.

Of course, a float or casting bubble could present any small jig or fly.

Fatman

a 1984 Vermont Fins and Feathers magazine - told you it was old!!! I'll get back to work on monday and scan it, it only shows 4 patterns but the written descriptions is excellent

quivira kid

Black, brown, olive... Some with "hot heads" (pink, orange, chartreuse). Pheasant tail nymph, hares ear nymph, prince nymph.... Look those up and be creative!

toadfrog

He doesn't know squat . He is a lawyer , I think he just got invited on a trip . I gave him the instructions of how to fish with a bobber over the phone . 1/32 is the smallest I'm making for him . Just to be on the safe side I'll make him some spinners.

toadfrog

Hey got a deck of cards in the mail yesterday it has a fly on every card with description . I can just pick one of the fifty hang it with a clothes pin and get to work . Thanks Doug down there in Mexico second time ya saved my skin.

Hawnjigs

KISS
A lawyer with squat, a float & fly/jig setup, & some luck could be on even ground with a well seasoned buggy whipper. And of course, spinners are an ideal novice trout lure.

Heck, I've been outfished in stocker lakes by kids with toys & stinky pink goo.

toadfrog

Got it book marked Fatman thanks . I ought to be able to get a variety going tomorrow.
Hawn I hope this guy does good because all these lawyers he is in business fish for trout . Sort of a little club to itself . They don't think nothing about paying 3 or 4 bucks for a jig or fly but it has to be American made they will accept Mustad hooks .

Feel your pain when a little tike skunks you with a snoopy reel and a gummy worm . Considering what we pay for our gear.

jschmidt

Good read Fat. It basically ecos why I am getting into jig fish.
I do fly fish maybe 6 times a year, but I spend about 40 days a year with a spinning rod in my hand. And the need to have other presentations has really shown its self this year on the trout streams.
thanks again Fat

Back