Swap #36

Fin and Fur

Mumble mumble. I do that too, or when you been working with others and then switch back to auto..cut thread.....zip....mumble mumble...rethread mumble

AllenOK

HMK, I just made the move to a rotary vise. I do NOT have an automatic bobbin. Not sure if I want to go that route. I've gotten to where I can rewind the spool with 1 - 2 fingers plus my thumb on my right hand, not using my left.

F&F, I usually tie up at least 6 of any given pattern, if not more. A "large production run" is usually 10 - 12. That's just for me, or for me "stocking the box" in case I think I'll sell/give a few while I'm out fishing.

That said, I've got a buddy that wants 100 jigs in one color pattern, and another 100 jigs in a second color pattern. That will keep me busy for awhile, provided I can ever actually ORDER the bloody jigs. Both my wife and I are currently having issues with our debit cards.....

Fin and Fur

Once you use the automatic bobbin you'll see the value in it even for nonproduction runs it make everything easier. If your not changing threads often as in, 100 at a time, it's worth having it in my opinion. As HMK says he loves his, I love mine. They're not cheap but worth the expense to me. I like to experiment with variations and usually tie 3 of one size 3 of another size then 3 of this and 3 of that, can you tell I like groups of 3. Still allows for a give away at the end of my day, that is if I ever see anybody, I generally hike into places no one else will.

AllenOK

I usually only tie up smaller heads, 1/32 and lighter.

However, now that I'm in MI, I'll probably start doing some heavier stuff, fishing for Walleyes and Steelhead in heavy current.

HairyMooseKnuckles

Guys, I'm going to need to withdraw. I apologize for the inconvenience this may cause. My wife is having some medical issues and I haven't had a chance to even think about tying. Again I apologize.

hookup

Good luck HMK and I hope the medical issues soon pass

Got the PM Jay - thx again for host'n

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Tying mine right now. Not sure if it is considered a classic combo to the general public, but it is in my book. The white wooly bugger with gold bead/cone head. :cool: It was one of the first fly patterns i really sat down and tried to perfect way back when. My Dad bought me a couple on a random stop at a fly shop. They were absolute addictive crack cocaine to smallmouth. I started out tying them on traditional fly hooks with gold beads, cones or even brass bead chain. They work just as well on jigs.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
............even broke out the old school white marabou for these 'classic' jigs. I bet i haven't tied with marabou for over a year at the very LEAST! What a mess i have going. Quickly remembering why i switched from marabou to rabbit.

AllenOK

LOL AF. I'm in the process of tying 200 jigs, all with Fluorescent pink marabou tails. I'm going to have little hot pink marabou barbs floating around all over for weeks!

hookup

I went old school on mine. Used material I've never tied with before.

AllenOK

The jigs I tied up were inspired by the Intruder, a Steelhead fly. I had planned on fishing the first couple I did for Steelhead today.

Well, forget about that. As I was reading the MI fishing reg's, I came across a limitation on the size of hooks that can be used to catch fish "in rivers". Single-point hooks cannot be larger than 1/2" from point to shank. Guess what? Those jigs I used are about 5/8" from point to shank. I can only use those jigs for two months, June and July, which is when Steelies usually are NOT in the rivers.

If y'all decide to fish them, check your local reg's first. I don't know if your states will have similar reg's.

Jay Wirth

Jay Wirth said:
I received the last of the submissions in the mail today.  We have some really nice jigs, Thanks to all who sent extras for your humble host.  Over the weekend Ill get some photos taken and posted and packs will go out first thing Monday.

Tight Lines!

Back