Swap #36

Jay Wirth

I was asked to kick off swap #36 and I always try to think of something a little different.  So, for this swap lets try tying something that is fly inspired much like the old classic jigs from the 60's with their bucktail and feather combos.  These could also be a color or pattern that is similar to the color / materials in a classic fly.  As an example I am considering something like an old Rueben Cross streamer as a jig.

So an old classic combination or a pattern like a fly - this swap is totally open to be as creative as you wish.

Ill start with 12 spots but will leave it open to all who wish to enter; Sign up deadline March 28 with jigs due to me by April 11.

1.   Host
2  3  hookup
4  fin and fur
5  kdog
6  AtticaFish

hookup

I'll bite but need some guidance

Is there a website or a link I can see what old classic is?

I consider a rabbit jig w/ cross cut body & zonked tail a classic - does that work

Or what about a silicon hair jig w/ some bucktail to flair the silicon?

Kdog

Sounds like a challenge... count me in.

Posted in wrong part of forum but hopefully Russ can move it or figure out an easy way to get thread in proper location.

hookup

I pulled out some of my old fishing books last night.  Billy Westmoreland tied a hoss fly that's older than the hills

[video=youtube]

I seem to remember Billy writing buck tail instead of craft fur ..... time for another read of the old classics

Or surfed the site & found a Reds jig that I've been meaning to try.

Thx for some ideas

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Sign me up please. I will move this whole thread down to the swap board once sign-up closes.

Jay Wirth

I got a message from the moderator who was unable to get the host for #35 and asked if I could start mine early.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah..... we will probably append the number so it is sequential and not cause any confusion. This will be swap #36.

Fin and Fur

Add to the bump. I've adapted many of my old go to flys into go to jigs. I'm more of a trout guy and I found stone fly nymph patterns transfer well and are just as effective, if not more so. The wooly bugger and wooly worm are no brainers. Just think anything you put a bead on is just like a jig ball head, except the upside down part still gets me once in a while.

Think I'm going to spend some time today working on making/upgrading my vice to a more rotary style. I've been using jaws flat so when I turn jig hook over it stays level. I'd like to be able to grip/hold hook at angle. I think it would be easier to apply materials to the hook side. Ideas/thoughts?

hookup

Nice job on the vice - looks like you got a rotary model now

I learned allot about jigs from old timer who are now either not with us or can't get around to fish. Most of the jigs they threw were simple with what they had on hand and mimicked flys or bugs. One of the reasons I liked some of the posts on Jigcraft on Reds jigs is because he looked like he's been around & had luck with his designs.

I always learn something on each swap. I've never tied with feathers, and kdog was nice enough to send me some for hosting. So decided to try them out & learn. First couple jigs I tied with them were rough, but as I got use to them, gotta admit, they look pretty good now. Same with material, got some scrap pieces of silk, and decided to try it out. Again, a learning curve, but once a few were tied, it came easier.

Kdog

AllenOK said:
I got mine tied up today. I just need to make the toe-tags. Hoping to actually use the printer this time. My handwriting sucks vulture butt.....

hookup said:
Nice job on the vice - looks like you got a rotary model now

I learned allot about jigs from old timer who are now either not with us or can't get around to fish. Most of the jigs they threw were simple with what they had on hand and mimicked flys or bugs. One of the reasons I liked some of the posts on Jigcraft on Reds jigs is because he looked like he's been around & had luck with his designs.

I always learn something on each swap. I've never tied with feathers, and kdog was nice enough to send me some for hosting. So decided to try them out & learn. First couple jigs I tied with them were rough, but as I got use to them, gotta admit, they look pretty good now. Same with material, got some scrap pieces of silk, and decided to try it out. Again, a learning curve, but once a few were tied, it came easier.

Thta is half the fun with swaps, often you are forced into a different direction and IMO its amazing what it does to your skill and confidence level.

Fin and Fur

Plus I don't sit down and tie more than 4 or 5 of a particular pattern. Usually I tie whatever I've used up. It was cool to sit and tie the same pattern multiple times in a row then you definitely get the feel of how to work the materials and how to make them work for you.

HairyMooseKnuckles

You were asking about the Auto Bobbin. Yes, I have one and love it.

One problem with it. Y'all remember the other night when we had our tie in? I was rushing around changing threads on the first couple of ties. Then I decided to load up a regular bobbin to save time. Yep, you can tell where this is going. With the Norvice, you have a post that sits out a ways from the vice, you can stretch your thread to the post, wrap the thread over the holder and when you are ready to start tying again, the auto bobbin goes right back to your fly. I forgot about changing to a regular bobbin and I stretched the thread out and hung it on the post. I cut my marabou, picked up my bobbin and it was a gob of thread hanging. I had to sit down my feathers, wind up the excess thread and start over.

I mumbled a little bit. Laughing

Back