Small Jig Hooks on eBay ?

Hawnjigs

KISS
EC Lil' Nasty sickles are decent quality and American made so I inventory them, good choice for crappie.

If anyone has tried the Mustad Skipjack sickle hooks please post a review. They look good and Mustad is capable of upgrade mfg.

duffy

Well I tried to order some of the Mustad skip jacks but all of them at Jann's are out of stock. Seems to becoming a common occurrence at that place anymore. Every time I try to put together an order it seems that they are out of at least half of it and the shipping is getting out of hand for what little the stuff weighs. Hooks are suppose to be in by mid month so we'll see......

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Jann's shipping has gotten pretty bad. If you sign up for their email news letters or follow them on Facebook, they run a free shipping on over $50 orders every couple months.

redear

I will try them if the reviews remain positive. I thought the shank was longer but was probably looking at a larger size pic last time I saw one. should be good for crappie but the guy says they are sharper than a matzuo, just looking at the pic I have a hard time believing that though, but heck, I hope it is true.

duffy

A few are starting to trickle in the last time I checked my wishlist at Jann's so hopefully can get some to check out. The ones they have are the black nickel and I was going to do a bend test on them to compare strength with the others. A little larger wire wouldn't hurt as the EC's and Matz's seem a bit springy to me.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Looking closely at the pic, the wire APPEARS to be bout the same thickness as the Matzuo, with the EC noticeably smaller diameter.

My observation is the Skipjack could be best described as an O'Shaughnessy beak point rather than a sickle variant.

JiggerJohn after a LONG distinguished jigging "career" has recently reverted to classic Mustad & EC O'Shaughnessy #8 90* jig hooks as his go-to this year. Not sure if they are discontinued, but tuff to find.

duffy

I always tried to use the O'Shaughnessy bends when I could get them. Maybe it's just me but they seemed to stay in better if you caught a fish in the thin part of the mouth. They seemed to resist just falling out.

JUNGLEJIM1

Ordered some #2 and #6 Skipjack hooks from Janns yesterday, other sizes were backorderable. Shipping is high for $80 purchase so got more hooks until shipping was free. Probably 10 years ago I purchased some EC 640 #8 which is an 0'Shaughnessy jig hook. Listing was for 1800 hooks but when I got them it turned out to be 18,000. I informed the seller about it and he said keep them. I kept maybe 2K for myself and sold the rest. Didn't know they were discontinued or I might have kept more. Only one's I have left are some that I poured and got nickle plated.

redear

I have used the EC 630 in bronze size 8 and they were great hooks with the ability to land larger fish even steelhead I am thinking, but if you went to a larger size the wire diameter really gets thick. also have used the mustad equivalent to the 630 but the points were not as long and slender and sticky sharp but still good jighooks. I was making kiptail hair jigs in the old pinkie style of yesteryear.

Back