Simple Flash Duck Tutorial

JUNGLEJIM1

I turned back time a little with these,almost 15 years.First crappie on one of my tied jigs was a duck feather without flash and crappie ate the feathers off. These are tied on 1/64 #8 dart jigs,70 ultra thread,trimmed mallard flank with 4-5 strands of midgeflash. Step #1 Starting at head,wrap thread back almost to bend and back to head building a thread base so feathers don't slide later as my first few did after some gills hit..#2 Turn jig over,hook pointing up and slide flankfeathertips between the hook,tie down and trim. One feather is usually all you need. #3 Turn over and if there are any gaps or hook showing trim off a small piece of feather and fill in. #4 Add the flash,your choice,build a thread base and tie off. It took 33 minutes to tie 15 so they are very easy to do and the crappie and gills love them. These are best tied on jigs with size 6-8 hooks,any style jig head will work. In a week or so when they start stocking trout in some of my local lakes I'll start throwing these with my 3wt fly rod and see what the trout think. Any questions feel free to ask.

Attachments

• IMG_3355.JPG
    IMG_3355.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_3356.JPG
    IMG_3356.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_3358.JPG
    IMG_3358.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_3359.JPG
    IMG_3359.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_3360.JPG
    IMG_3360.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 223

LedHed

Sponsor
Think it’s the Do-it Shad Dart Jig - JD-8-3264 (1/64 - 10-8, 1/32– 8-6). Have this one CC1 – can hook you up.

Think I have a 1/64th Ament.

Not sure about the Hilt’s. tf – if you have a LMDART- 64-32 I want it.

JUNGLEJIM1

Mine was a DO-IT I bought from Barlow's a few years ago,model number Led posted is correct. I poured a few hundred and since I didn't have a use for them at the time I sold the mold. "BIG MISTAKE !!!!!" I'm going to need more heads or buy another. Have about a hundred 1/64 left and today they were smoking the 1/32. Felt sorry for a few guys and gave away a bunch. Now everyone wants some and I only have enough for myself. Somehow,I knew Led would have one. Easier to ask him what he doesn't have. Better break this one out,LedHed. I need some 1/32 #6 sickles bad. Probably buy another from Barlow's soon. Today they were hitting a duck dart with a Palmer Chenille collar.

LedHed

Sponsor
JJ1 - sent you a PM.

Len & qk - got a few 1/64th #12 or #10 (can't remeber which) laying around if you guys want to try them PM your snail mail

crappiecripplerjigs

Awesome as always Jim. I sold my mold a couple years ago as well. Funny how times change and you get rid of things you should have kept.

JUNGLEJIM1

Hawn,I can't positively say it works better than others at times. I only fish one jig at a time,but yesterday was really slow until I tied one on,then all of a sudden I started catching them. I will be fishing them a lot more this year for sure. I'd think it has to have a different action than ballheads. It's been my best jig the last couple of weeks.

Nightprowler

Thanks JJ1 for the flashduck pics. Are these headed to Ebay?? I may have to get a few (hundred). How about a tutorial on painting jigs? You do very nice work!

Pup

Very nice tutorial JJ1. Duck feather jigs are popular for float-n-fly smallmouth bass angling. I plan to try your tying method over this winter. :cool:

JUNGLEJIM1

NP,you shouldn't have a problem tying these yourself. No ebay for these. At least not until I get another mold. Pup, I had a customer from TN tell me these sell for $4-$5 each to the smallie fishermen down there. I must be living in the wrong place. I did have a dozen ducks go for over $60 once on ebay a couple years ago. Now,I'm lucky to get $10. Hopefully I'll see some guys on here give them a shot. They are killers in all sizes. I'm going to tie some 1/80 with a #12 sickle for trout and gills. I'll be breaking ou the 3wt sometime this week.

Back