sealing top coat

Nightprowler

Hey Guy's 
What sealing top coat doesn't discolor chartreuse powder paint? When I dot some eyes and seal them with Sally Hanson's, the eyes discolor and chartreuse turns a funky off green/yellowish.
Thanks for any help.
Herb

duffy

I had the same problem with coating eye's with sally's on chartreuse and also flo orange. The Sally's formula, Dries Instantly and No Chip, works allot better and doesn't seem to affect them as bad but still will to some extent.  Also I found if I cure the paint properly in the oven it helps.  Here's a link to the discussion we had about it. 

http://www.jigcraft.com/jigcraft/showthread.php?tid=10505&highlight=sally's

Kdog

Im partial to D2T (Devcon 2 Ton Epoxy). yes, its an extra step and no its not instant but its fast and very durable.

Pup

Nowadays, I simply dip my jig head into DecoArt Triple Thick Gloss Glaze.  It's not durable to the extent epoxy is imo.  However, it dries quickly and takes only one coat.  And...it doesn't affect the color of paints or coatings.

hookup

I kinda like that funky off green/yellowish - great color for yellow perch imitators

I found if I cure the jigs in the oven, then let them sit a couple days they stay chartreuse - not sure why??

LedHed

Sponsor
Great post! I apply a quick coat to seal - and wipe the brush on a paper towel before getting some more polish. Mixing wet-n-wild brand with sally hanson brand isn't good.

AllenOK

I've noticed that the solvent in Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails will dissolve chartreuse powder paint. I usually apply some SHHAN to the thread, then whip-finish, and the beads of polish will transfer some of the paint onto the materials as I whip-finish.

I've been meaning to see if I can do an initial paint job (base coat + tapping extra colors), cure it, then do some cosmetic decoration with markers and/or other types of paint, let that dry, then reheat and do a topcoat with Rosey's 200% Clear. Haven't got a tying area / paint shop setup where I'm at right now, so I haven't gone forward with my ideas.

I'm kind of concerned, if the solvent in SHHAN will dissolve Chartreuse powder paint after it's cured, what will the solvent in other nail polishes, or even Testor's model paints do?

Pup

Here's a nail polish (NP) that I used tonight for thread coats on several crappie jigs powder painted with CS Pro-Tec green chartreuse.  I thought I was being careful, but still made contact with the base of my jig heads.  Their color is unchanged.

L.A Colors Nail Treatment Basecoat/Topcoat

It would make sense to me that a NP labeled as a topcoat should leave the color beneath alone.

Back