Sagging Powder Paint

duffy

Been having troubles with my paint sagging during the curing process lately. It doesn't happen with the solid colors only when I double dip with a candy & glitter coat. The cure temp on the glitters is around 275 and I've even cut it down to 225 with more time but even then some of them will sag. On the tip up jigs it sags right down onto the flat and then messes up the tip up function. I've also noticed that the lower temp longer cure doesn't give as durable of a cure as the higher temp as it's more brittle and the high temp cure is very durable/tough like epoxy. Thinner coats are better but other than that I may have to make a holder to support them differently during the cure but that won't help the regular ball head jigs that get a nose on them now. I haven't tried the higher temp for less time yet. Any other ideas out there would be greatly appreciated.

AllenOK

When I tried dipping into a basecoat of powder, then a basecoat of clear/glitter, I got the same results. I've done two things to combat this: 1) I don't dip into clear/glitter. I tap the clear onto the jighead with a camel-hail paintbrush. 2) When I go to cure, I start the oven at the lowest possible setting, give it 5 minutes or so, then up the temp to 200 or 250 (depends on how low the oven can go), and once it's stabilized, I'll give the jigs another 5 minutes, then up the temp in 50 degree increments until I get to 300, waiting 5 minutes after the oven stabilizes (you'll probably hear a click) for each increment. Once I get to 300, I give it 20 minutes.

Supposedly, the slow heat-up helps to lock the powder to the jighead, whereas if you put a bunch of powder onto a jig, and shove it straight into a 300 - 350 degree oven, the paint will melt and drip before it sets up.

What brand glitter are you using? I use the cheap stuff from hobby stores (comes in small packets), and it holds up to 300 degrees F with no problems.

duffy

Thanks for the reply Allen. I've been using the Netcraft Disco powder which it basically clear with the fine glitter mixed in. I do have the same problem with straight clear also so maybe am getting it on too heavy. Have been putting them into a cold oven starting at 200 and then working it up. Sometimes they are fine until I get to around 275 and then they start sagging. I'm thinking it's more of a coating thickness problem than a heat problem. I'll try the brush application and see how that works. Maybe I should just install the rotisserie attachment in the oven and hang them on that. :D  Thanks for the tip.

Jig Man

You might try getting your jig head hotter before the first dip. Your first coat might be to thick.

Kdog

Paint too thick is the most common cause. Fluid bed helps but IMO is more a function of head temp before coating. try dipping a cooler head. Sure sign head is too hot is pc is already shiney as soon as it comes out of the powder

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I do agree to keep the head a little on the cool side while dipping into the jar. Pretty much want it just hot enough for the paint to stick but not gloss over right away. If just going for a dip and glitter, i want that base coat to be just covering the head. I've never gotten very good results from dipping into glitter mixes, always end up tapping it on to get a more evenly spaced out amount of glitter.

I also heat/cure my heads the similar as AllenOK. Start out low heat and just gradually increase the temp over 15 or 20 minutes. It will help set the paint some by the time it gets up to full cure temp. I go all the way to just under 350° even if i am using glitter, never had the glitter melt on me. I immediately test each batch i cure for strength once they cool down with a knife. Some colors seem to cure different and have baked them twice to get a stronger coat.

I think i just repeated what most others have already said. :p

Pup

Well here's one other process to consider.  I dip to apply glitter mixed with clear coat.  I just feel that I need to in order to remove tapping from my work which, to me, is an extra step or two in my painting process.  Granted, I only coat with one glitter color.  But, I feel I've reached the point where I've gained a little competency with clear powder, glitter, and my results which look good to me.

It took me much more practice to get a good dipped, rather than tapped, result.  Keep in mind that I look to coat an entire jig head with glitter, one that has great coverage with little distance between glitter flakes.

Also, I cure my jigs in a rack designed to stand my jig heads upwards.  Sagging is eliminated.

AllenOK

I forgot to mention that. I can pivot my jigs to point upwards for the cure as well. I have had a couple sag, but the paint started flowing towards the shank, instead of making a nipple on the jighead.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I have a couple threaded rods i made up for the same reason, to stand the jigs heads up. It has been a while since i have used it honestly, but if i know i have a bunch of heads that have a thick layer of paint on them, i would definitely get it out to cure them. I have a picture of mine but must be on my other computer at work. I will look tomorrow and see if i can find it.

Back