Recent wooden topwater builds

AndyLane

Been tinkering with a couple more topwater lures. Took the time to finish them so I could fish with them this weekend. All are hand carved and sanded with exception of the detail work on two of them were done with dremel.

Popper: Balsa wood: Painted with spraypaint and coated with Epoxy
View attachment 6

Another style Popper: Balsa Wood Hand painted base colors and blended with spraypaint and cover with epoxy
View attachment 7

These next two are something I came up with last summer. They are carved from Cedar disks I cut. They have a side to side wobble/slide when retrieved and if you snap the rod tip it pops(kerplunks) and dives a few inches under the surface. The first pic is the first one I made last summer. caught some bass on it right out the gate. Second pic is one I just made. The tail is two #2 aberdeen hooks. I cut eyelet off one and tied onto shaft of the other one. (didnt have any trebles) Tied in some blue hackle and a few wraps of CAT kelly green and other(?) CAT chenille. The tail on first one was a pre-dressed treble from lureparts.com I painted the tip yellow.

View attachment 8View attachment 9

View attachment 1

I will be giving these a try tonight and tomorrow on my buddys farm pond so I will post pics of any lunkers :D:icon14:

Attachments

• IMG_1552.jpg
    IMG_1552.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1555.jpg
    IMG_1555.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1554.jpg
    IMG_1554.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1553.jpg
    IMG_1553.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1557.jpg
    IMG_1557.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1556.jpg
    IMG_1556.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 101

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
You have some outstanding paint jobs with spray paint. The wobbley cedar plugs sound like they may mimic the famous Hula Popper and add some interesting diving movement. You should have no problem catching fish if they are on the topwater pattern.

toadfrog

Well I'll be darn . Pretty slick there Bud . I bought this little tinesy wood lathe on flea bay Can't make anything over 6'' cause I tend to sign everything I do in blood . My hat is off to ya if ya made it threw carving those without stitches . God bless you for not putting bare trebles on them . Just an O.C.D. pet peeve I have .

AndyLane

The bass in my buddy's pond loved all of these lures. They were really going after the two poppers. Only problem was that I couldn't hardly get a hook set. I kinda shot my self in the foot when I didn't put belly hooks and trebles on them. These poppers are too big to only have rear hooks. I did catch a few small bass on each of these but I could of filled a bucket with the fish that hit and missed. :dodgy: oh well Had fun learning this lesson that I should of already known. :)

crappiecripplerjigs

Those are awesome! Very impressive paint jobs on those as well. Just wish I had the patience to do something like that. Well done!

Back