Peak Vise

Superdave336

Well I finally decided to buy a new vise. After lots of thought I ended up getting a Peak Vise. I think I will be happy with it. I had been tying on an AA vise and it was working but seems lately the hooks are falling out more and more. I can’t wait to use it and see what rotary can do for me.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Without rotary function there's a blind side for material placement and wrap sealing.

I'd advise newbies to skip the beginner level fixed vices. A quality rotary vise should last a lifetime.

hookup

I'd advise newbies to skip the beginner level fixed vices

Some of my first jigs were tied with a small vice grips in a vice. Then moved onto a hook sharpener with jaws to hold the hook. Got a $20 Chinese vice from Barlows and I though that was nirvana. Then finally got an Anvil Apex.

Most newb's are still like me, tying for a hobby.

I agree with you if a newb wants to start tying commercially, but as a hobby, I believe that anything that works is the way to start

Superdave336

I was quite happy with the AA vise I started with. Actually if it was holding the hooks better I probably would keep using it. It does all I need and I’m not really trying for show quality jigs or selling any. It was great for a starter vise, cheap and let me learn. But..... I enjoy tying and feel now is the right time to upgrade. Knock on wood, this new Peak should last me a lifetime.

hookup

Superdave336 said:
Knock on wood, this new Peak should last me a lifetime.

It should.  I've tied on them before and would luv to have one if I tied more.

Enjoy the new vice and post pix of the end product

duffy

Congrats on the new tool I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Did you happen to contact AA about new jaws or parts? Thought they had a lifetime warrantee.

Superdave336

No I did not. I will check into that though. Really it gave me a justifiable excuse to my wife for getting the Peak.

hookup

it gave me a justifiable excuse to my wife

I've learned along time ago that it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission

Superdave336

Yeah I had already mentioned it as a possible Christmas present and when I told her I already bought it she was upset but then I told her about problems with current vise. I’m sure I can give her other ideas for presents....lol.

sstansb

Hi guys, I'm a probie to this webpage and forum. Found out about through a smalljaw video, Thank You sir for your contributions. I to was in the mkt for a rotary vise as I've been pouring my own jigs and blending and making dubbing brushes. After a lot of deliberation I retired my Dynaking Kingfisher to different uses and got a Peak vise with pedestal base and brass knobs and the extra jaws. I'm really satisfied and moved it to a clamping holder from the pedestal saving that for portable usage. Just my 2 pennies--

Back