OLD LURES

hunter7711

I've never seen one of those either. I collected old lures for over 40 years. Sad to say my EX has all of them now. Just can't make myself start over again. I remember going to old Pawn combo Tackle stores in the late 50's. It seems I was in them every other day LOOKIN. Almost all those old guys had been in business since at least the 40's, some longer. Being only 15 and no real money I was what you would call a looker. Those old guys got me into tying, and saving old stuff. There were 3 stores on the same block in downtown St. Joe. I would work all week (20 hours or so) at $.50 a hour and head to the old guys to give them my money. I would spend about $10.00 a week in the 3 stores combined, making sure I bought something from each of them, and after getting home and counting my loot, it would always have a total value of $50.00 or more. When I would go back and tell them they made a mistake and put stuff I didn't buy in there, each of them said, no mistake, they wanted me to have it. They told me never to sell it, and save the boxes. They said if I didn't want it to give it to someone else that could use it. I guess you could say each of those old guys kinda took me under there wing. To this day, I still remember each one of them and the stories they told, and what they taught me about hunting and fishing. I sure wish that things were slower today like then. I do whatever I can to help young people with a interest, but I will never come close to living up to these 3 old men. Sorry, but I miss the better days.

toadfrog

ScottV said:
What about a "Lucky 13"? I'm thinking they had a nose like that. I just went to my Dad's old tackle box and found a couple of "Hawaiians". The one on the left is the wiggler I think. I'm sure it looked better with paint and a skirt. LOL The one on the right says,"Hawaiian" under the body and "Sputter Fuss" on the blade. I think I'll research them and restore them to put on the wall.
IMG_5903.jpg
IMG_5902.jpg
Those are a pain in the neck to make.

ragged edge

CopyofDSC04070.jpg
Here some more oldies

ragged edge

When I was younger I used to spend the weekend down at Elephant Butte in New Mexico duck and quail hunting along the lake. The lake had not been full since the 40's so some of these old lures had been exposed to the climate all those years. In between hunting hours I would walk the rocky shore line shooting rattlers and finding these old lures, go home and show my dad what I had found.

ScottV

At least they are displayed. LOL I'm going to Hobby Lobby tomorrow and I'll see if they have some type of shadow boxes. I want to display my jigswap jigs somehow, also.

JSC

Hey REdge

That is a good idea to "Tag" them :idea: .. been trying (not real hard) to come up with a way to ID them.:exclamation:

JSC

ragged edge

JSC, I write the bait manufacture on them. Need to find an easier way and better display. That picture does not show all the lures I have. Got other stuff too, minnow traps, and just all around old junk from back when.

snake River

ScottV said:
What about a "Lucky 13"? I'm thinking they had a nose like that. I just went to my Dad's old tackle box and found a couple of "Hawaiians". The one on the left is the wiggler I think. I'm sure it looked better with paint and a skirt. LOL The one on the right says,"Hawaiian" under the body and "Sputter Fuss" on the blade. I think I'll research them and restore them to put on the wall.
IMG_5903.jpg
IMG_5902.jpg

if you are a collector do not restore them you will ruin the value I am a collector.

snake River

ragged edge said:
CopyofDSC04070.jpg
Here some more oldies

you have some high dollar stuff we have many of those that you have in the picture I can tell you to research the Internet be careful you have more money there than you think.

ragged edge

Snake, this is just 1/2 of a printers tray. I have two more trays just like them but older. Have some Shakespeare 5 hookers, Heddon pumpkin seeds, Al Foss etc....

snake River

ScottV said:
Thanks Snake, I'll just leave the ol' wigglers like they are.

I'll give you a sample of what I did I took a $300 collectors crank bait and I put clear lacquer over at my collector friend told me that I just ruined it they won't give you $.50 for it now. I've also done this with some basso Raynaud's painted them black can you remember when they look like a Christmas tree cover with different polkadots I sure miss them up. We have in our collection Mini with the old glass eyes course that's the ones that appeal to me. I enjoy a collecting them a specially from the early 1900s we have a lot of hidden stuff in some stuff from Berks Co. don't know if you guys remember them they were a soft plastic crank bait. We can talk about this forever i.e. field-tested for the company when they first come out with soft plastic worms. Before that I didn't have anything but some old hard plastic worms that were very cheap I can remember back in the 60s I am plastic worms for a couple of cents.

toadfrog

snake River said:
ragged edge said:
CopyofDSC04070.jpg
Here some more oldies

you have some high dollar stuff we have many of those that you have in the picture I can tell you to research the Internet be careful you have more money there than you think.

I just thought I had a bunch of stuff lying around . Thats got me beat. I would't doubt you had some stone or bone hooks.

Pup

Ragged Edge,

Do you happen to know the make and model of this lure?

PillboxLure.jpg

Have a smoke-colored one just like it in my old hip-roof tackle box. I call it a "Pillbox Lure". It has a handy little box in the middle of its side. I assume an angler could use it for small rattles or BBs, bait (scent), or even Alka-Seltzer. :)

Back