NEW UPDATES Jig painting I did some

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Nail polish is very simple to use and tons of colors to choose from. Very small investment also. I started out using it and at one time owned probably 20+ colors. My daughter would come ask me if she could use MY finger nail polish because i had better colors than she did. :D Powder painting is very easy to do as others have said. Once i got started with powder, gave all my polish colors to my daughter and never looked back. I still have a bottle of clear polish (Hard as Nails) around at all times though for thread necks.

tckurt

I have decided that I will go the powder paint route.
I forgot to mention that when I make the jigs I have guys
I know and fish with that want them when I get some made.
so I would feel better with the durability of powder over other paints.

I have not looked into the multi color dipping or redipping =say solid color then add candy color
or adding or sprinkling the front with another color or adding sparkle dip any tips on that.I can read?
I looked at protec and jannes and saw nothing on redipping.
thank you all very much for all the help.

AllenOK

I've done both methods. Apply a thin base coat of powder, reheat the jig just enough that the powder starts to "melt", then dip into another color. Or, instead of dipping, you can "tap" another (or two, or three) colors by loading a small camel hair brush with the different color, hold the brush over the appropriate area of the jig, and give it a tap with your index finger. It takes awhile to get used to this. AtticaFish is an EXPERT in this.

Go back to the oldest threads in this sub-forum, and start reading until you reach the present. Lots of information there.

saltyfeathers

May as well toss my two pennies in here. I have used powder, vinyl, and nail polish. Overall, powder is the most user friendly unless doing small heads. Vinyl and powder both have a small learning curve, but the durability is better than with NP. I use nail polish only for heads 1/16 or smaller. Powder for everything else until I get to 5-6 oz, then vinyl. The thing about the powder, absolutely get or make a fluid bed, and keep notes of how long you heat for each size head. I use a plumbers torch and know how many seconds to count for a 1/2 oz head or a 3oz head. After that its easy. Best of luck

tckurt

thank you all for paint help & tips and mold info post I had and
hook help post ! thank you all very much.and thank you very much
for selling me the mold Jungle Jim.

I have put together a few things that have been lying around in
the garage and after some trial and error this is what I got.
old coleman cook stove melts my lead good.
coleman 502 camp stove = mold heater.
made a fluid bed for about 5 bucks works great.
double filter air adjustment hooked to air compressor.
and propane torch to heat jigs to powder dip.

View attachment 2

Attachments

• jigcraft.jpg
    jigcraft.jpg
    825.8 KB · Views: 51

tckurt

I bought a bottle of protec white glow powder paint and tried
out the fluid bed I made and wow works great.
top one is 1/16 oz with #4 hooks from Jungle Jim.
middle is 1/32 with #6 Voodoo hook I like these 3x heavy .
bottom is 1/32 #8 570 I think eagle claw.
I think they turned out great! lots better than hand painting or spray cans.
thank you for talking me into powder paint guys

View attachment 3

Attachments

• jigcraft2.jpg
    jigcraft2.jpg
    544.5 KB · Views: 43

AllenOK

Nice!

Yup, you're addicted now! Just wait, soon you'll have about a hundred colors of powder, and who knows how many molds.

PS, ask LedHed how many molds he has :)

duffy

Glad you like it! I know the first time I tried it I was hooked too. I really don't know where they get off charging $100 for those fluid beds when there's nothing to making them. Good  Job.

Back